Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should Microsoft replace the rest of Windows' native applications with modern ap

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,966 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 29 May 2015 - 03:19 PM

Native application that are now modern apps

As I mentioned, Internet Explorer is being replaced with Microsoft Edge in Windows 10. However, it's not the only native app being replaced by a modern app in Windows 10. The good old Search tool is being replaced by Cortana, and Calculator is being replaced with a modern app of the same name (Figure A).

The new Calc UI looks totally fugly.

Article

fig-a-5-25.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 orlbuckeye

orlbuckeye

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2015 - 07:56 PM

Well I think Microsoft want to slowly but surely move all apps to modern apps. But they will have WIN32 apps in the store when Windows 10 is released.  Photoshop modern will be coming out with Windows 10,

• Alienware 18 Intel Core i7 4810 QM 16GB DDR3
  • 18.4" (1920 x1080) 
  • 1 TB Samsung EVO MSATA SSD 1 TB WD 5400 RPM HD 750 GB WD 5400 RPM HD
  • Nvidia GT 860 GM SLI graphics
  • Windows 10 Pro + Surface Book i5 256gb SSD 8gb RAM DGPU

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 30 May 2015 - 10:44 AM

Although I like the look of the old calculator better, I guess that there are things that we have to get use to with progress.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 Msradell

Msradell

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2015 - 06:45 PM

I think the question should be: "Should Microsoft to ditch the modern ap and revert to the former format?"  I don't know of anyone who likes the modern ap on a desktop PC and refuse like it on laptops.  It's okay for phones and tablets but that's about it!

#5 orlbuckeye

orlbuckeye

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2015 - 06:58 PM

The key to app is that it does what you need to get the job done. I've seen fine integration between Win32 apps and modern apps. I call the client server. The pc the server  and the mobile device the client.  A good example is a payroll app with clients using the mobile devices as timeclocks and PC's as the payroll administration. 

• Alienware 18 Intel Core i7 4810 QM 16GB DDR3
  • 18.4" (1920 x1080) 
  • 1 TB Samsung EVO MSATA SSD 1 TB WD 5400 RPM HD 750 GB WD 5400 RPM HD
  • Nvidia GT 860 GM SLI graphics
  • Windows 10 Pro + Surface Book i5 256gb SSD 8gb RAM DGPU

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users