Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

where do I start?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 reaching

reaching

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 29 May 2015 - 02:13 PM

I want to learn how to read logs, like when admins are helping with malware removal. I want to understand how to work with the registry and know if something is wrong. I want to know how to trace ip addresses and stuff to find out if your computer is hacked or whatever. Is this computer security? What kinds of classes would I need to take? What about the stuff the FBI does to track criminals on computers? How does one begin to learn all this stuff.

I got hacked once and I won't feel comfortable on computer until I learn this stuff. Where do I start? What certifications do I need? What can I teach myself? I don't necessarily want to work in the field but I want to know and understand for my own peace of mind.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2015 - 03:42 PM

Hi there,

If you are interested in malware removal (the same kind of thing that Malware Response Team members do in the Malware Removal Logs area) then you might be interested in Bleeping Computer's Malware Removal Training Program.

I will let others answer your other questions, as I do not know about those myself and would like to learn more as well.

Alex

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 29 May 2015 - 09:15 PM

A security focus is probably the best you can do.  I highly recommend Steve Gibson's Security Now! podcast hosted on the TWiT Network.  I'd recommend listening to the current podcast and work your way through the back log.

Personally I'm not a fan of malware removal.  I'm from the reinstall and restore from backup school of thought.

Since the new fad for malware is encrypt and extort removal is even less important.

I don't know of any certification that has a registry component where you learn in depth about the registry.

#4 reaching

reaching
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2015 - 04:43 PM

Thank you Alex. I am new to the site and didn't know such a program existed. It looks promising. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Thanks to you to Kilroy. I just have to figure out what a podcast is and how to listen to one.

I do like the idea of reinstall and starting over. I did learn how to clean a hard drive and reinstall the OEM copy of windows. The computer was still acting strange to me, so via google and some on line support, I learned how to change the hard drive but it still was doing things that seemed wrong. I think the bios was infected. Some people say that's unlikely (but they don't know the things that just seem out of wack). Could be I'm way paranoid. I figure if I know more, the computer won't feel like a Booby trap.

Anyway, thanks again to you both.

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2015 - 05:05 PM

A podcast is an audio program.  If you go to the Steve Gibson link I posted above you can download the shows as MP3s or read transcripts.  If you have a media playing device you can use a podcast application to automatically download the shows.

#6 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 01:24 PM

+1 for Gibson it will be a sad day when he passes away

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users