Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU Fan Failure Error

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 sparkyjoe34

sparkyjoe34

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 29 May 2015 - 01:21 PM

CPU Fan Failure
Product Name: Slimline S5305Z
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi everyone. I'm hoping someone can help me as I am totally at a loss as what to try next. 

Ok, so my mother bought a HP Slimline S5305Z desktop PC. Had it for several months with no problems. Then ocasionally when she would restart it she would get a "ERROR: CPU Fan Has Failed! PC will automatically power down in a few seconds. Service the PC immediately to prevent damage to the PC." She would restart it and no error.  I opened it up to make sure the cpu fan connector was seated properly and it was.

Finally she purchased a new desktop and gave me her old one. 

"Let the fun begin!"....So I brought it home, got everything hooked back up and commenced to using it on a daily basis. Well whenever I would need to restart it due to updates or whatever I would get the same cpu fan error but It went from occasionally to everytime it was restarted. Now whenever I need to restart it I have to blow on the cpu fan to keep it going in order to prevent it from showing the cpu fan error and shutting down. Not really the type of thing I want to have to do each time I restart my PC. 

To date I have replaced the cpu fan, power supply and motherboard thinking that it might be related to one of those three but with no luck. Still the same issue.

As far as I know the bios has never been updated. I have never updated it and I know my mother who can barely figure out how to use a mouse hasn't updated it. I've searched the HP Support website for updates but there are none related to a new bios update.  The site does mention trying this:

1. Turn on the computer.
    • If your computer was built in 2006 or later (Windows 7 or Vista), immediately press theF10 key. You might need to press the key repeatedly, about once every second, until a BIOS Setup utility screen opens.
    • If your computer was built before 2006 (Windows XP or earlier), immediately press theF1 key.
  2. Use the left and right arrow keys to select Advanced menu.
  3. Use the up and down arrow keys to select Hardware Monitor, and press Enter.
    If the error is not resolved, the fan should be replaced. System fan replacement instructions may exist for your computer model. To find instructions, type the following into the Question or keywords field at the top of this page and then press Enter:
    [computer model number] replace fan
  4. Select CPU Fan Check and press Enter.
  5. Use the following list to determine the CPU Fan Check value for your computer configuration:
    • Active heat sink; cooling fins directly on processor with a fan sitting on top of the fins.
      hardware monitor/CPU fan check = ENABLED
    • Passive heat sink; cooling fins on processor without a fan directly on top.
      hardware monitor/CPU fan check = DISABLED
    • Fan duct leading to a fan sitting on or directly over the processor cooling fins.
      hardware monitor/system fan check = ENABLED
    • Fan duct without any fan
      hardware monitor/system fan check DISABLED
  6. If the value is different than what is currently set, change the value as follows:
    1. Select CPU Fan Check and press Enter.
    2. Select the correct value (ENABLED or DISABLED) and press Enter.
  7. Save the settings and exit. The computer restarts.
If the error is not resolved, the fan should be replaced.

Well unfortunately this does not apply to my PC.

I am usually pretty good at figuring these issues out but I have to say that I am completely stumped. I don't think it would be related to a memory module , cpu or even HDD issue. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can try next? This is very frustrating to me. Any help you can give would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by computerxpds, 29 May 2015 - 01:53 PM.
Moved to Internal Hardware from BSOD forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 29 May 2015 - 02:23 PM

If you didn't do anything to void the warranty when you opened it up I would suggest sending it back to be repaired.  I would try the vendor she bought it from.  If your mother purchased the computer, the warranty is hers.  Remember this when you try to get it repaired.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 sparkyjoe34

sparkyjoe34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2015 - 04:06 PM

Hey Arachibutyrophobia, thanks for the reply. The warranty on this thing is long gone. She purchased it like 4 years ago. Besides, I doubt that she even remembers where she bought it from. 

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,495 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 30 May 2015 - 10:59 AM

...I have to blow on the cpu fan to keep it going in order to prevent it from showing the cpu fan error and shutting down

...I have replaced the cpu fan, power supply and motherboard

Your problem is (obviously) electrical.  The only possibilities that could cause this you have already replaced, including the mainboard, so physical bad connections are ruled out here...except for one possibility: the CPU. 

If some "connection" in the CPU has a problem detecting the rpm's of the cooling fan on boot, it will give a false reading and shut the system down. I am a bit unclear as to that item:

> If the fan spins up on boot but must you blow on it to speed it up but after that the computer runs normally for that session without shutdown?

> OR does the fan does not spin up on boot so you must constantly, without stopping, blow on the fan to keep the fan running, or if you stop blowing on it the system shuts down?    IOW, does the fan not start at all?

Edited by ranchhand_, 30 May 2015 - 11:01 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2015 - 12:30 PM

Now whenever I need to restart it I have to blow on the cpu fan to keep it going in order to prevent it from showing the cpu fan error and shutting down. 

There are electronics which are used to start the motor.  If the motor requires a blast of air to start the rotation the fan needs to be replaced.  Be sure that you replace it with the same wire configuration, two wire, three wire, or four wire.  It will also need to be the same diameter and have the same mounting hole pattern.

When you go to replace the fan you will need to be careful not to remove or break the seal between the heatsink and the CPU.  If you do, then you will need to replace the thermal compound.  

Newegg has a good selection of fans to choose from.

Edited by dc3, 30 May 2015 - 12:31 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 sparkyjoe34

sparkyjoe34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2015 - 12:41 PM

ranchhand_, Thanks for replying to my post. The CPU is the next component I was leaning towards being a possible problem but wasn't sure. That does make sense though. 

As far as the fan goes, once I push the power button the only thing the fan does is move a little and stops.  If I don't blow on it  and continue to does so for at least 5-8 seconds it will shut down. I guess I can look to see if I can find a new CPU but hate to dump more money into it. Especially if that doesn't correct the issue.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2015 - 02:53 PM

What is the model of this HP computer?

What is the exact message you are receiving?

The error message you posted is generated by the BIOS from the hardware monitor.  This doesn't mean that the problem is with the CPU.  Because you can start the fan and it will continue to work indicates that there is a problem with the fan itself.

Is the fan plugged into the CPU fan header on the motherboard?

Does the fan have the same amount of wires as the header pins?

I would not invest in another CPU until you have positively the fan as not being the problem.

Edited by dc3, 30 May 2015 - 02:56 PM.

#8 sparkyjoe34

sparkyjoe34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2015 - 03:55 PM

Arachibutyrophobia, Here is my message ""ERROR: CPU Fan Has Failed! PC will automatically power down in a few seconds. Service the PC immediately to prevent damage to the PC."

I have previously replaced the fan, motherboard and power supply. The fan is plugged into the correct location (CPU_FAN),  and the same amount of wires as the original cpu fan. 

#9 sparkyjoe34

sparkyjoe34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2015 - 06:07 PM

Also, it's a HP Slimline S5305Z

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2015 - 06:29 PM

Arachibutyrophobia, Here is my message ""ERROR: CPU Fan Has Failed! PC will automatically power down in a few seconds. Service the PC immediately to prevent damage to the PC."

I have previously replaced the fan, motherboard and power supply. The fan is plugged into the correct location (CPU_FAN),  and the same amount of wires as the original cpu fan. 

Did you replace the thermal compound when you installed the heatsink and fan on the CPU?

#11 sparkyjoe34

sparkyjoe34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2015 - 07:04 PM

Arachibutyrophobia, just a little background for you. I have actually built 3 computers and I am the person my family contacts when they have a PC problem so yes,  I replaced the thermal compound (Arctic Silver) on the fan heat sink. Now as far as the problem I am having, like I said I am stumped since I have never seen this sort of problem nor have I ever read anything about this type of problem. That's why I figured I would try online because there are a lot of people more computer savvy than myself. Hopefully I can gain some ground on this problem and hopefully this will help others if they ever have this sort of problem.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2015 - 09:55 AM

I'm glad to hear that you computer literate.  This should make it easy for you to understand what I've been trying to explain.

If the fan can't start spinning on its own there are only two possible reasons.  One, there is insufficient voltage, two, the fan has a problem.  Since you have replaced the PSU and motherboard it isn't likely that this problem is voltage related.  

A CPU fan has a brushless motor which has circuitry which reverses the phase of the voltage in the coils which starts and maintains the rotation of the motor.  If there is a problem with this circuitry it can fail to start the rotational torque.  Another possibility would be a "sticky" bearing.  You can prolong the life of the bearing by pealing back the material covering the bearing and applying a very small drop of machine oil to the bearing end.  Unless there are other contributing factors I would have to suggest that the problem is with the fan and needs to be replaced.

#13 sparkyjoe34

sparkyjoe34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2015 - 03:15 PM

I understand how a electric motor works as I am an electrician by trade.

I would agree with you if it were the original fan in the case but it is a new aftermarket fan that has been installed. That is not to say that a component can not make it to the end user and not work because I have seen it happen being in the industrial electrical field for more than 15 years.  

Now having said that, this fan exhibits the exact same operating problems as the original fan does. Moves slightly when the power button is pressed and unless it is assisted in starting it will not run and the PC shuts down. This fan has also been tested in another tower, spins on pc start up and continues to run so I know that it does not have a problem operating when given the correct operating conditions that it needs.  

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2015 - 05:37 PM

Helped start a company building state of the art audio amplifiers with a price tag of $2,000. back in 1977, worked in all phases of production and design, then retired after thirty years as a journeyman electrician out of the IBEW.  Been there, done that.

You've replaced the fan, PSU, and the motherboard.  All I can guess is that this is an infant mortality.

I wish you good luck with this, and request that you post how you resolved after it is all said and done. :thumbup2:  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users