Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to transfer files to a users' network drive "There is not enough space"

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mardigen44

Mardigen44

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 29 May 2015 - 11:51 AM

I work in the Service Desk department at a company and I routinely transfer files to multiple users' network drives for backing up files. I am no longer able to transfer the files as it says "There is not enough space" even though there is plenty. This happened to me several months ago and the Network admins couldn't figure it out and had to recreate my admin account in AD. Would anyone happen to know why I would suddenly not be able to transfer files when my colleagues can?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 29 May 2015 - 12:08 PM

The first thing that pops in my head is quota. But I am not familiar with AD nearly enough to say that is something that can be controlled.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2015 - 12:10 PM

Sounds like you are under a quota limit. 

#4 Mardigen44

Mardigen44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2015 - 12:18 PM

I was thinking of Quota as well but didn't know it would prevent me from transferring files to someone else's Network Drive. I'll let the network admins know and I'll let you know if that was the issue. Thank you for your response.

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 29 May 2015 - 09:25 PM

I'd guess it is a quota issue.  Are you transferring the files as you or the user?  If you are transferring them as you it counts against your quota allotment.  So, for every user you have done this for in the past it reduces the amount available.  While quotas can be set on many different levels they are normally done at the highest level to make things easier.  So, if you have a 100GB quote on the USERDATA share and all of the users have their own share in the USERDATA share every time you copy files for a user the file size counts against your quota.

If it is just one user that you are having the issue, then they have exceeded their quote and it doesn't matter how much space is available on the drive they are not allowed to use it.  You can get around it by copying the files as yourself, but this will only make more problems.

I'd suggest checking into the disk use and quota policies for the company.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users