Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My desktop is on private network and my laptop on public

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 puravida999

puravida999

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 29 May 2015 - 09:02 AM

I have 2 computers, 1 is laptop and the other one is desktop, both running windows 8.1 64 bits

When I check windows firewall in both the laptop says is connect to public or guest network and the desktop says it is connect to private network. I connect both computer to the same router, the laptop is connected via wi-fi and the desktop via ethernet cable.

Should I change the laptop settings to connect to a private network instead of public or guest network? the router is properly configured and has password but, is it safe to keep the laptop in public networking?

thanks for the answers!

Edited by puravida999, 29 May 2015 - 09:03 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 29 May 2015 - 09:45 AM

Yes you should change it.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 puravida999

puravida999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2015 - 09:55 AM

Yes you should change it.

But how? and what risk were on public network?

please help  :unsure:

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2015 - 11:10 AM

How = Use this There is a section for wireless but procedure is the same.

Risks - in your home, not a lot. But you wouldn't be able to share anything between that laptop and anything else on your network.

EDIT - Do not think that public means it was put in your router's DMZ, basically that is on the outside of your router. Public just means that it is an unknown network and the settings on your PC are changed to reflect that. Mainly shutting off the sharing. It is meant for when you connect to free wifi somewhere so you aren't sharing all your files to anyone else on the free wifi.

Edited by CaveDweller2, 29 May 2015 - 11:27 AM.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 puravida999

puravida999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2015 - 04:43 PM

How = Use this There is a section for wireless but procedure is the same.

Risks - in your home, not a lot. But you wouldn't be able to share anything between that laptop and anything else on your network.

EDIT - Do not think that public means it was put in your router's DMZ, basically that is on the outside of your router. Public just means that it is an unknown network and the settings on your PC are changed to reflect that. Mainly shutting off the sharing. It is meant for when you connect to free wifi somewhere so you aren't sharing all your files to anyone else on the free wifi.

in our home we don't share anything in our network. So, if I leave it in public or guest network should I be good?

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2015 - 07:08 PM

as long as it works, sure. You do whatcha want.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users