Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fan Speed and temperature....linked to virus/malware?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 robby501

robby501

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 29 May 2015 - 08:51 AM

3 simple question asked by a relative novice......

Now that I have cleaned out all PUP's and have no viruses on my laptop pc (hopefully! - we'll get to this in my next question!), my machine is now running cooler than ever with virtually no fan activation required for heat dissipation requirements. Can I therefore assume that BECAUSE my pc is running cool and operating beautifully (that's the way it seems to me anyway!) that I am free of ALL malware and virus now?

OR.....

Is it still possible that, despite getting clean reports after running a full scan (Avast free edition), that deep down.....somewhere lurking.....in the bowels of my machine.... there just MIGHT be something malicious lurking somewhere that hasn't yet reared it's ugly head or is not using enough CPU to NOTICEABLY affect the general running and speed of my pc? I am thinking along the lines of 'zombie'-like infections whereby my pc might be being used (without me knowing!) as part of a network of pc's linked together in order to attack large websites and organizations etc.

To all you more technically-minded experts who will hopefully get to read this - and I'll speak for myself here - it can actually be a REAL cause of anxiety and worry for us relative computer newbies who hear all these threatening and sinister terms like 'zombie' machines, keylogging/key stroke hacking, hijacking and 'RANSOM'-ware...........all terms which sound like they belong from the sinister scenes of a horror, murder or crime movie! 

The main reason for me putting forward these questions is reading recently about the 'time-bomb' ransom-ware (which gladly didn't affect me personally) and ALSO the fact that routers appear to be being targeted on their own. 

So in a nutshell, what I am basically asking is.....can I assume that my pc and router are CLEAN simply because it appears to be running cool, fast and smooth? And if the answer is NO.....how is the best way I can go about to look deeper into my system? (presumably by acquiring more tech knowledge, I guess?)

I would like to add (as I have stated in other posts!) BC has helped me MASSIVELY in overcoming issues and has been a goldmine of solid advice and knowledge. Thanks to all those involved with the running of this place! 

Edited by robby501, 29 May 2015 - 08:54 AM.

Im a rookie and purely recreational pc user. Im utterly obsessed with security (even though I consider myself a safe and law-abiding internet user!) and run a combo of the following freeware security suites.....

Windows Defender/firewall

Regular scans with Malwarebytes, AdwCleaner, JRT, HitmanPro

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 29 May 2015 - 08:58 AM

Hi robby501 :)

The fact that your system is running smoothly, and that you don't hear the fan spinning loudly/fast doesn't means that your system is totally malware free. Of course, a slow system, and a computer where fans are always running at high speed can be a symptom of a malware infection (this is mostly caused by the CPU is working a lot and the fans need to cool it down). However, it doesn't means that you aren't infected with a malware that let's say, doesn't take a lot of CPU or RAM on your system. Most simple malware won't cause these issues (like browser hijacker, adwares, etc.) Usually, the kind of malware that will cause the computer to run to a point where you'll hear the fans and see the CPU stacking at 100% are malware that have processes which uses a lot of resources, like silent minets (Bitcoin, Litecoin, Dogecoin, you name it).

If you fear that you are infected with a malware, you know that you can request a free check-up in either the "Am I Infected? What do I do?" section or the malware removal area (if what was detected by the helpers in the AII section cannot be removed there). Since these services are free and you look worried about the current state of your system, I strongly suggest you to seek asisstance in any of these sections.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 robby501

robby501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2015 - 09:25 AM

Hi robby501 :)

The fact that your system is running smoothly, and that you don't hear the fan spinning loudly/fast doesn't means that your system is totally malware free. Of course, a slow system, and a computer where fans are always running at high speed can be a symptom of a malware infection (this is mostly caused by the CPU is working a lot and the fans need to cool it down). However, it doesn't means that you aren't infected with a malware that let's say, doesn't take a lot of CPU or RAM on your system. Most simple malware won't cause these issues (like browser hijacker, adwares, etc.) Usually, the kind of malware that will cause the computer to run to a point where you'll hear the fans and see the CPU stacking at 100% are malware that have processes which uses a lot of resources, like silent minets (Bitcoin, Litecoin, Dogecoin, you name it).

If you fear that you are infected with a malware, you know that you can request a free check-up in either the "Am I Infected? What do I do?" section or the malware removal area (if what was detected by the helpers in the AII section cannot be removed there). Since these services are free and you look worried about the current state of your system, I strongly suggest you to seek asisstance in any of these sections.

Well thanks Aura for your prompt and detailed reply.

It's funny really. I feel like a dog chasing my tail for no real reason! As sinister-sounding as some of these verbal terms are for the general description of virus and malware and the way they have potential to cause anxiety and fear (to a newbie at least!), I am wholly fascinated by the causes and ways such malware (or worse) can get onto a machine....so much so that, now I have my machine running well, I am kinda - I know this sounds odd! - hoping in a way - to actually ACQUIRE a new problem in order for me to relish the challenge of fixing the problem - such is my interest in this topic! Hell, I really don't mind if you tell me I am mad for thinking like this! lol

As good as your advice and post was to read, I am actually NOT in any way concerned or worried about being currently infected.........I am more concerned about .....WHETHER........I SHOULD be concerned.......if that makes any sense??! lol (hence likening myself to a dog chasing a tail! lol). I know I sound like a paranoid idiot...but that's far from the case....I am just fascinated by the whole issue.

When I first bought this PC a couple years ago, I was having all kinds of issues with adware, browser hijacks and overheating....hell, at one point my machine wouldn't even shut down when I wanted it to! Freaked me right out! All this compounded by me downloading SUBSEQUENT pc boosting/cleaning programs that claim to clean registrys etc.....that were malware infested themselves....(caught a nasty bug downloading a rogue version of CCleaner once as well as downloading something called RADIORAGE which claimed was an add-on to enhance music downloads).

I guess now that I have sorted out so many issues (all with the help found on these forums), I have become entrapped in the fascination of how these problems occur, plus the solving of such issues - even as a relative newcomer and novice to computing in general!

Thanks for your help and input! 

Edited by robby501, 29 May 2015 - 09:26 AM.

Im a rookie and purely recreational pc user. Im utterly obsessed with security (even though I consider myself a safe and law-abiding internet user!) and run a combo of the following freeware security suites.....

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2015 - 09:27 AM

Well I'm glad that my answer satisfied your curiosity robby :) If you ever need assistance with malware removal or security in general, you can always seek assistance and answers on BleepingComputer!

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,613 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2015 - 01:31 PM

There are no guarantees or shortcuts when it comes to malware removal
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 robby501

robby501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2015 - 04:47 AM

Well thanks for the link to your thread and all the associated links contained within it, quietman7.

I've cancelled all my social activities every evening for the next month!

You do realize this is gonna cost me a fortune in cocoa, twinkies and chocchip cookies? lol

Thanks again!

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,613 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2015 - 06:22 AM

You're welcome.

#8 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 31 May 2015 - 03:56 PM

Am I right in thiking you have noticed a correlation that your computer is cooler and your fan is running more quietly after you have removed malware?

This makes sense because not having the malware running on your system will mean the processor usage is slightly lower, therefore the processor does not get as hot. One of the common symptoms of malware is a slowing of the computer, although a slow computer can also be caused by things which are a lot of less sinister, and a slowing of a computer occurs for the same reason as a hotter computer, a processor trying to handle a larger than usual number of instructions. Some malware won't cause higher disk usage so won't cause either a slowing or heating of the machine, but there is certainly planety fo malware which will do both. The temperature of your computer and it's CPU usage does not for certain prove either that it is infected or that it is clean, but malware making a machine slower and hotter certainly can occur. Temperatures and speed of a computer are not reliabel tests for or against infection, but the fact that your machine is cooler than it was when it was infected is yet another good effect of having the nasty program rid from your system.

Edited by rp88, 31 May 2015 - 03:56 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#9 robby501

robby501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2015 - 05:39 PM

Am I right in thiking you have noticed a correlation that your computer is cooler and your fan is running more quietly after you have removed malware?

This makes sense because not having the malware running on your system will mean the processor usage is slightly lower, therefore the processor does not get as hot. One of the common symptoms of malware is a slowing of the computer, although a slow computer can also be caused by things which are a lot of less sinister, and a slowing of a computer occurs for the same reason as a hotter computer, a processor trying to handle a larger than usual number of instructions. Some malware won't cause higher disk usage so won't cause either a slowing or heating of the machine, but there is certainly planety fo malware which will do both. The temperature of your computer and it's CPU usage does not for certain prove either that it is infected or that it is clean, but malware making a machine slower and hotter certainly can occur. Temperatures and speed of a computer are not reliabel tests for or against infection, but the fact that your machine is cooler than it was when it was infected is yet another good effect of having the nasty program rid from your system.

It seems pretty obvious that a cooler...and slicker-working.... pc MUST in some way correlate to an elimination of certain 'ills' (for want of a better word!) that have impeded performance in the past. Whether these are malware infestations is neither here-nor-there, I guess.

But obviously, yourself and other members of this forum who have had input here have clearly stated that it is not the 'be-all-and-end-all'...so to speak!

Since I last wrote, I downloaded and ran Emsisoft Emergency Repair Kit in full scan mode and it came up with nothing.....so obviously I was delighted at that!

Before gaining knowledge that I have acquired since being a member of this Site, I ran numerous so-called 'boost' or 'performance-enhancing' programs which I now realize were just a load of old 'tosh'....making wild claims of being able to tune any pc up to 'warp-speed'. Hindsight is a great thing.......I now put a lot of my previous suffering/woes down to these, as well as learning to leave the registry well alone!

Totally LOVE the Avast free edition that I use as a defense against malware. Trouble is, every now and again a pop-up will appear trying to sell me something....like telling me I have 13 programs causing a slow-down on boot-up....but I can live with this, I guess.

I bought my notebook as a complete novice just over 2 years ago as a 'bundle' with Norton 360 AV included. Looking back, Norton did NOTHING to protect me whatsoever. Or so it seemed. The amount of problems I had back then was immense!

BP has been a god-send for me. I feel I have learned the nuts-and-bolts basics on how to keep myself and my pc out of trouble thanks to the awesome and knowledgeable folk on here such as yourself, quietman7, Grinler, Aura, Zingo and many others.

Speaking as a relative novice, all you guys are awesome. I can't thank you enough.

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2015 - 08:10 PM

Totally LOVE the Avast free edition that I use as a defense against malware. Trouble is, every now and again a pop-up will appear trying to sell me something....like telling me I have 13 programs causing a slow-down on boot-up....but I can live with this, I guess.

It's one of the downside of using free programs unforunately. They'll come with advertissments of some sort and try to sell you the paid version of it. Also, the feature you are talking about is the "Grimfighter", which monitor which programs you have installed on your system and recommend you to update the outdated ones when a new version comes out. If it annoys you, you can easily disable it.

http://techdows.com/2014/03/disable-avast-grimefighter-and-browser-cleanup-popup.html

unite_blue.png

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,613 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2015 - 09:04 PM

There are several annoying avast! pop-ups and notifications which can be disabled.

#12 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,502 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 01 June 2015 - 01:37 AM

There has been cases of viruses destroying hardware. I have only encountered a few in my days. Then you got hackers getting on a system like a water treament plant and opening valves. Which is a very real threat.

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 05:22 AM

I would say that malware like these are like the firmware and BIOS ones we have. They are really rare, most of them are PoC (Proof of Concept) and they are destined to targets specific people or organisation.

unite_blue.png

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,613 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 05:39 AM

Malware writers would much rather target a large audience through social engineering where they can use sophisticated but less technical means than proof-of-concept viruses. Social engineering has become on of the most prolific tactics for distribution of malware, identity theft and fraud.

#15 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 01 June 2015 - 04:12 PM

Technonymous post#12:

We must hope, for the sake of the continued survival of civilisation in the future, that those who run critical infrastructure systems do NOT connect them to the internet AT ALL, and do not connect them to anything which is itself online, and do not plug in random USB sticks. It has only really happened once, with stuxnet, but the possibility of infrastructure hardware being damaged by hackers is not an impossibility. If those who run infrastructure and careful and sensible then cyber attacks need not be a threat.

robby501 post#9:

Grimefighter is quite pointless, you don't need it. I run avast and chose not to install it from the various options of things which you can choose to or not to bundle. However if you want to speed up your computer disabling un-necessary startups is a good idea, the best way to do this is to use CCleaner, and make sure to carefully check what each startup is (because you probably need some of them, but probably don't need others) before disbaling them. Choose to "disable" NOT "delete", that way if you make a mistake you can re-enable the things you do need. The only pop-ups avast itself should display is a more or less daily one mentioning either avast's business editions, or avast's other products, or a link to a security headline, it shouldn't be advertising things from third parties.

As a general rule when you buy a pc you can remove almost all the bundled programs, and you should usually remove the bundled antivirus and replace with one you prefer. Some shops will offer you the chance to pay a bit more at the checkout and get an extra year of subscription on the bundled AV, don't fall for this. Buy a better AV, or get a free one.

As extra info, "tune-up" programs never work, you can't speed up a PC by putting more stuff on it, and updating drivers/firmware/BIOS/UEFI is risky and pointless (note: updates to your programs and OS are often security related, security related ones should be done automatically or as soon as you see them, other sorts of update to the OS or the programs on your machine are at your choice). Speeding up a slow pc can only really be done by the methods below:
Uninstall un-necessary programs
Remove any malware
Disable un-necessary startups
Delete temp files
Don't let plugins be automatic in your browser, make them "click to play", "ask to activate" or fully disabled.

These methods are done manually or with specific programs for the particular job, they are not done with "optimizers" or other such programs claiming to be "cure-alls".

For keeping your system secure in the future: make sure you keep your antivirus running well, install security updates for windows (if you don't want the non-security updates then put updating on "Check automatically but let me choose whether to download and install" and only tick the security updates) and keep your browser and other programs and plugins up to date as well, perform regular scans with a second opinion scanner, don't use a vulnerable browser, don't let plugins be automatic (this one speeds up your browsing too), consider running NoScript (you will need to use firefox as your browser if you want to do this), be very careful about what exe or scr files your run, always make sure that files you download are not exe or scr files in disguise by checking the full file extension on them.

Edited by rp88, 01 June 2015 - 04:13 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users