Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

strange clicking noise?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 RobertHD

RobertHD

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 29 May 2015 - 07:20 AM

somehow either my hdd had make a clicking noise or is just my imagination? because I just heard click click click from the front of my case. plz help!

Robert James Crawley Klopp

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 29 May 2015 - 07:27 AM

Hi Robert :)

I suggest you to remove the side panel of your computer, and try to pinpoint from where the noise comes from. If it really comes from the hard drive (you can even put your palm against it, you'll feel if it ticks), then it means that your hard drive have a mechanical issue and it can fail at any moment. In that case, you should back up all your data as soon as possible and buy a new one.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 RobertHD

RobertHD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2015 - 07:44 AM

yep it's ticking alright I think it's best that I build myself a new computer since my friend probably gave me a faulty hdd from the start.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,196 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2015 - 07:46 AM

If you want Robert, you can test it. I doubt GSmartControl will show sign of physical failure, but it's worth a shot. Even thought it come back clean, if there's a clicking noise, no matter what GSmartControl say, it needs to changed. Here's the instructions for it.

JcJ91sx.pngGSmartControl
Follow the instructions below to test your hard drive health with GSmartControl:
  • Download GSmartControl and save it on your Desktop;
  • Extract the content of the GSmartControl .zip archive and execute gsmartcontrol.exe;
  • Identify your drive in the list, and double-click on it to bring up it's window (usually you'll find your drive by it's size or it's brand name);
  • Go in the Perform Tests tab, then select Extended Self-test in the Test type drop-down list and click on Execute (this test can take a few hours to complete);
  • Once the test is over, the results will be displayed at the bottom of the window. Please copy and paste these results in your next reply;
  • Also, go in the Attributes tab and if you have any entries highlighted in red or pink, copy and paste their name in your next reply (or take a screenshot of the GSmartControl window and attach it in your next reply);
    info_failing.png

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 RobertHD

RobertHD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2015 - 07:49 AM

thanks aura ill give results when I come back on in 8 hours I need some sleep.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,196 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2015 - 07:52 AM

No problem Robert, I'll check on them once you post them.

unite_blue.png

#7 RobertHD

RobertHD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2015 - 07:59 AM

no errors found but I think the hdd is faulty because I remember having a problem where no display was showing so I unplugged my hdd and reconnected it and it booted fine but something happens with my pc because it turns itself off. Sounds weird?

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,196 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2015 - 08:01 AM

It sounds weird to me, yes. Like I said, if you are clicking noises coming from the hard drive, back up its content and replace it ASAP. Otherwise you're taking the chance to run a hard drive that can fail at any moment.

unite_blue.png

#9 Foldingchair

Foldingchair

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 29 May 2015 - 09:08 AM

I'd like to jump in on this and ask how long have you had the hard drive you suspect? Is it a used one? Has it always done this?

If any of these questions you can answer yes to, it's most likely the HDD dying. I recall from past experience that the older a hard drive gets, the noisier and more unpredictable it gets as well.

"Peace and blessings be upon you all."

#10 DataMedic

DataMedic

Authorized DataMedic Rep

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2015 - 03:32 PM

Possibly it could be a power issue.  Some drives will periodically click if they aren't getting enough amps to operate properly.  It's freaked me out a few times when using a cheaper dock to plug in a drive.

#11 RobertHD

RobertHD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2015 - 08:45 PM

well folding chair this hdd is around about 6 months old but it's got a 2 year warranty on it and is still valid.

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,196 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2015 - 08:55 PM

Yeah if you have a warranty, use it. It's worth it. Better be safe than sorry when it comes to hard drives.

unite_blue.png

#13 RobertHD

RobertHD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2015 - 12:05 AM

cool! topic closed....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users