Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Opening Mysterious Files

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 whatapalaver

whatapalaver

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 06 July 2006 - 04:37 AM

A file called SID has been lurking about in my computer. It appeared on my desktop some time ago and when I went to open it I got the little window that asks, 'what do you want to use to open this file?' I didn't open it.

After a respectable pause I put SID into the recycle bin, just to see if it's absence would be noticed. It wasn't.

Today, I took the bull by the horns and took SID out of the recycle bin and opened it with Microsoft Word. It has a short line of script.

I'm not very concerned about SID. Its sojourn in the bin did not cause a problem so I suppose it could be zapped, but I am wondering how I could reverse the 'what do you want to use to open this file? There seems to be no way to do it.

Is any harm done when 'mysterious' files are opened with that WDYWTUTOTF window, and should the action be reversed when the content of a file is known?

Best wishes. whatapalaver

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2006 - 04:53 AM

See a picture--

http://i6.tinypic.com/1z4fwh4.jpg

I usually scan files before opening them.
Right click & see if there is an option to scan with your antivirus program.

See another picture--

http://i6.tinypic.com/1z4fxiv.jpg

#3 whatapalaver

whatapalaver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2006 - 06:42 AM

Thank you medab 1.

I should have said that I always right click and then scan, and I mean ALWAYS. This computer is well protected and as far as SID is concerned, it was right clicked and scanned with AVG; TrojanHunter, and a-squared. There are other programmes. I'm paranoid about security. My security programmes are updated repeatedly throughout the day. Every day, when I haven't something to do I go along the security row on the desktop and update and scan with each programme. I wake up, get up, switch on the computer and scan while ablutioning and breakfasting. It is so simple and I cannot understand why other folk do not do it. Some complain about the time it takes to do it. Utter rubbish.

SID appeared after I had downloaded a legitimate programme that was scanned for problems while it was in my Virus Scanner folder, and before it was installed. But I cannot remember which programmne. That is why it does not worry me.

But I would like to know something about the WDYWTUTOTF window.

Cheers. whatapalaver.

#4 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2006 - 07:09 AM

I posted this link to one solution--

http://i6.tinypic.com/1z4fwh4.jpg

I guess that's what you wanted to know.

EDIT--

"Is any harm done when 'mysterious' files are opened with that WDYWTUTOTF window, and should the action be reversed when the content of a file is known?"--

Once opened,They are opened.
If it's a virus or something bad,it's too late.
I don't know of a way to reverse the opening process.

You could press Ctrl+Alt+Delete quickly several times.

As in the picture,you can choose another program to open something with.
If the box beside "Always use this program.." is checked,whenever you try to open that file type the chosen program will be used.

Edited by medab1, 06 July 2006 - 07:22 AM.

#5 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:55 AM

Just to be sure you are not infected with something there is a procedure that we have that tells quite a bit. It is free and someone from out HJT team will read and diagnose it for you and help with any problems that are there. Please follow the HiajackThis procedure next.

I suggest you post a HijackThis log for examination.
A member of the HijackThis Team will walk you through, step by step, how to disinfect your computer.
Once you post your log, don't make any changes to your system, as that could change the results of the posted log, making it difficult to properly clean your system.

Read Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Please read, and follow, all directions carefully!!!

Then, run a log, and post it in the HijackThis forum, at this link below.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/ Do not, fix anything, yet.
A member, of the HJT Team, will help you out.
It may take a while to get a response, because the HJT Team are very busy. Please, be patient, as these people are volunteers. They will help you out, as soon as possible.

NOTE:
Once you have made the post, please, DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum, until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post, there will be 1 reply. The team member, glancing over the replies, might assume someone is already helping you out, and will not respond. So, just make your post, and let it sit there, until a team member responds. This way you will be taken care of, in the most timely manner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users