Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Become A Motherboard Repair Expert

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 salifuj

salifuj

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 29 May 2015 - 05:56 AM

Hello guys

i am looking to perfect my knowledge of the PC/notebook motherboard. Does anyone know of an affordable or even a free course or links that teaches more about motherboards? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 29 May 2015 - 02:21 PM

I'm just curious...what would you like to learn about a motherboard?

Each one is somewhat different (if you believe the hype), but each one is basically built for one of the two CPU manufacturers...and the specs of each board will indicate certain functions which appeal to certain users.  Each will be somewhat different from its predeccessors...but all will perform the most basic tasks desired in a computer.

IMO, you don't need a "course" of any sort...you just need to start reading the various documentation and reviews which exist for motherboards.  If you do that, you will see the differences and the similarities...and realize that they are not so very different from each other but they cater to different prospective buyers/users.

But I've been wrong before :).

Louis

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 29 May 2015 - 10:24 PM

I often take a client to the local computer store and point out all the options available on different motherboards.  You might try that and then do a little research on amazon.

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 30 May 2015 - 11:13 AM

Salifuj, there are no "motherboard repair experts". They do not exist because, for most intents and purposes, a motherboard cannot be repaired except for some very simple module replacement or capacitor resoldering. The closest thing that you can come to what you are asking is by going to a major university and getting a degree in IT electrical design engineering which takes years. And even then you would be only designing the next motherboard for manufacturing. If one came in for repair and it wasn't one of those items I mentioned above you would not be able to repair it even if you knew which component went bad, because these things are created with dozens of feet of connections sandwiched in layers of plastic.

But...if you want to only know more about mainboards so that you can make a good choice for building your own computer, then the advice given by the guys above is excellent. You can also try Youtube, just search for "how to pick a motherboard" or something like that. I am sure there is a lot of information out there.

Edited by ranchhand_, 30 May 2015 - 11:17 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 30 May 2015 - 11:53 AM

I would start by getting the full specs for the computer you are using

--- Get the motherboard diagram of its motherboard if possible.

--- That way you can relate to the information on a unit you are already using

Ask us here on BC if you need help on that. That way you have reference to what you are already using.

--- You can also buy 2 troubleshooting block diagram charts: one for desktops, one for laptops if you wish

You could then move on to considering how to order motherboards for custom built computers

As mentioned you can get a degree in IT electrical design engineering: is that the level you are interested in pursuing? 

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 30 May 2015 - 07:04 PM

Finding and understanding a logic circuit might be a good place to start.  Building a couple small PCB projects and research into surface mount components (SMC) technology.  Soldering skills only come from years of actual experience and can be very tedious on SMC boards but not impossible.

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 30 May 2015 - 08:59 PM

I've taken two basic electronics courses in my life and the is a thrill like no other when you complete the course and are told that you will never replace a resistor, capacitor, or any other component on a circuit board, you will replace the circuit board. As others have stated you can do some repairs.  However, in the real world you will replace the board as it takes less time and effort.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users