Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I have a shack, I would like a fortress.

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Nullpersona

Nullpersona

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 29 May 2015 - 04:45 AM

I use Windows 8.1.

I currently use Windows Firewall, VoodooShield(Free), Webroot SecureAnywhere, and Peerblock to prevent unintended connections.

Please let me know what I can do to be sure my defenses are unassalilable.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 31 May 2015 - 02:02 AM

Hi,
Your arsenal look pretty good.
But have your browser security tightened up (using no script, adblockers, etc) as well as use Secunia PSI to check for outdated software resident in your machine.
Avoid using java and flash player unless its critical.

Keep in mind that your commonsense is the vital part of security.
Just my 2¢

Edited by Nikhil_CV, 31 May 2015 - 02:04 AM.

Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#3 Nullpersona

Nullpersona
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2015 - 01:40 PM

Hi,
Your arsenal look pretty good.
But have your browser security tightened up (using no script, adblockers, etc) as well as use Secunia PSI to check for outdated software resident in your machine.
Avoid using java and flash player unless its critical.

Keep in mind that your commonsense is the vital part of security.
Just my 2¢

Secunia did find somw out-of-date things, thank you.

I am having trouble with both Flash and Java updating, I plan to remove them and install them correctly.

I agree about the common sense thing.

Is there a firewall thatsupplements windows firewall?

I have heard it is weak in some areas, and if those can be shored up, I think I would feel more comfortable.

#4 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 31 May 2015 - 01:42 PM

5 Reasons Why Windows Firewall Is One Of The Best Firewall

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 31 May 2015 - 09:36 PM

If you are really dedicated to the cause of security you could a hardware desktop firewall.

https://www.applianceshop.eu/security-appliances/security-appliances-desktop-and-wallmountable.html

This can provide you a very high degree of network security (depending on your settings) as well as maximum reconfigurability.

There would be a steep a learning curve involved, but it could be very rewarding.

#6 Nullpersona

Nullpersona
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 02:17 AM

Thanks for the info!

If you are really dedicated to the cause of security you could a hardware desktop firewall.

https://www.applianceshop.eu/security-appliances/security-appliances-desktop-and-wallmountable.html

This can provide you a very high degree of network security (depending on your settings) as well as maximum reconfigurability.

There would be a steep a learning curve involved, but it could be very rewarding.

I am interested in how the efficacy of hardware firewalls differ, could you break it down for me?

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 02:50 AM

I am interested in how the efficacy of hardware firewalls differ, could you break it down for me?

Hardware firewalls effect your whole network, not just your local machine. They cannot easily be compromised by malware and are a far tougher nut to crack should any nefarious person turn their attention directly towards you. That's basically the sum of it.

I've got 3 kids all with devices, a mob of phones and computers all with different OS's. I can control access times, filter sites, block outbound server connections and more... for everybody, from my machine. It would be a nightmare without it.

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 03:13 AM

Also...

Cryptoprevent blocks and enormous amount of locally executed malware (more than 90%), and is a great restricted execution "easy-fix". I highly recommend it for those not on a domain.

#9 Nullpersona

Nullpersona
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 08:37 PM

Hardware firewalls effect your whole network, not just your local machine. They cannot easily be compromised by malware and are a far tougher nut to crack should any nefarious person turn their attention directly towards you. That's basically the sum of it.

I've got 3 kids all with devices, a mob of phones and computers all with different OS's. I can control access times, filter sites, block outbound server connections and more... for everybody, from my machine. It would be a nightmare without it.

So it does what a router firewall does, just better?  How does it do all of that without causing latency, like a router?  Or does it?

Also...

Cryptoprevent blocks and enormous amount of locally executed malware (more than 90%), and is a great restricted execution "easy-fix". I highly recommend it for those not on a domain.

I like how minimal cryptoprvent is.  I also picked up GlassWire, and a private vpn.

#10 Nullpersona

Nullpersona
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 08:43 PM

There are so many small packets being sent and received, I want it to stop.  Is it impossible to have a network that isn't grand central station, and still have software work?  Before always on internet was prevalent, people were aware of the dangers...

#11 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2015 - 12:35 AM

So it does what a router firewall does, just better?  How does it do all of that without causing latency, like a router?  Or does it?

It is a router/firewall but a highly configurable enterprise class one, for desktops. There is always latency with every point in a network.

There are so many small packets being sent and received, I want it to stop.  Is it impossible to have a network that isn't grand central station, and still have software work?  Before always on internet was prevalent, people were aware of the dangers...

A correctly configured firewall will stop this stuff. You can just open your http, https, udp and other mail ports you have (for basic functionality) and block the rest.
Then you can add exceptions for servers you know and trust (ie: Winupdates, googleupdates etc.). Then you can add exceptions as you require as the need arises.

Here's the feature list at the software project page.

#12 Nullpersona

Nullpersona
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2015 - 09:50 PM

It is a router/firewall but a highly configurable enterprise class one, for desktops. There is always latency with every point in a network.

A correctly configured firewall will stop this stuff. You can just open your http, https, udp and other mail ports you have (for basic functionality) and block the rest.
Then you can add exceptions for servers you know and trust (ie: Winupdates, googleupdates etc.). Then you can add exceptions as you require as the need arises.

Here's the feature list at the software project page.

Holy cow!  There is so much to know about hardware firewalls, I wouldn't even know where to begin!

I have tried setting my firewalls to more strict settings, but doing so breaks many things.

I miss the days when most computers operated independantly of each other.

The choice to connect is held hostage by functionality.

#13 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2015 - 10:35 PM

That's right.

I did mention there's a very steep learning curve with this :wink:

I grew tired of the constant security war with my Windows machines and just changed everything to Linux. Not that threats don't exist, but there are about 99.9999% less threats though. (literally)

Newer Linux OS's like Linux Mint are extremely easy to use, in many ways more so than Windows and by adding hard firewall security makes these systems extremely resilient. I do have a Win machine not connected to any network that I like to play games on and make music... Windows is good for some things.

#14 Nullpersona

Nullpersona
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2015 - 11:38 PM

That's right.

I did mention there's a very steep learning curve with this :wink:

I grew tired of the constant security war with my Windows machines and just changed everything to Linux. Not that threats don't exist, but there are about 99.9999% less threats though. (literally)

Newer Linux OS's like Linux Mint are extremely easy to use, in many ways more so than Windows and by adding hard firewall security makes these systems extremely resilient. I do have a Win machine not connected to any network that I like to play games on and make music... Windows is good for some things.

So you did. :)

If switching to another operating system was a final solution, I would do it, but it wouldn't be.

As long as we dance to these tunes, instead of our own, the jig will never be up.

Enough has change, we need to return to machine code and rebuild.

We need to stop building compression architecture, on top of inefficient core architecture.

It is time to revisit how we engineer electrical components, and any accompanying software, on a fundamental level.

I think this house has termites, and moving to a new one is only going to bring them with us.

#15 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2015 - 01:31 AM

Sure... though I'd rather live in the house with less termites for the time being. :thumbup2:

I read recently about the creation and application of decimal memory cells in a university in Australia. Once these are developed into usable technology it will revolutionise the way we approach computing. Meanwhile, back in the current era....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users