Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flash Drive Physically Does Not Fit into USB Port

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Bad-People

Bad-People

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 29 May 2015 - 02:01 AM

My sister gave me a USB Flash Drive a few months ago and since I've been having a lot of computer problems over the last 24 hour I decided to use it to back-up some data. So I open it up and here's the problem, I can't plug it in. Instead of having an open metal face like every other flash drive I've ever seen it ends in a bulky, black piece of plastic with a closed off end. It doesn't appear to be removable and the is a hole in the side through which I can see some sort of copper connectors. I've had flash drives that don't work, but this is the first one that doesn't even seem to be a flash drive. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Citizen_WD

Citizen_WD

Authorized Western Digital Rep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 29 May 2015 - 07:52 AM

Hi there, 

First of all - can you take a picture of both your USB port and the Flash Drive? Can you tell me the model of your PC/Lapotop? Are you sure that this is indeed a USB drive and not Mini-USB or other connector type? Also make sure that the port you're trying to plug it in is not Ethernet (RJ-45) or HDMI port. If you look carefully they should be labeled to help you confirm this. I will be waiting for your response and pictures and will be able to further help. Citizen_WD

#3 DataMedic

DataMedic

Authorized DataMedic Rep

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 29 May 2015 - 03:40 PM

Sounds to me that it's a monolithic flash drive (all built into a single chip which fits just in the tip of it).  Probably the chip just came loose and is blocking the opening.  Try pushing it back down into place using a small blade.  Not in, but back down where it should lay.

#4 Bad-People

Bad-People
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2015 - 06:18 PM

Hi there, 

First of all - can you take a picture of both your USB port and the Flash Drive? Can you tell me the model of your PC/Lapotop? Are you sure that this is indeed a USB drive and not Mini-USB or other connector type? Also make sure that the port you're trying to plug it in is not Ethernet (RJ-45) or HDMI port. If you look carefully they should be labeled to help you confirm this. I will be waiting for your response and pictures and will be able to further help. Citizen_WD

Don't have a camera but I can answer some of you questions. The Laptop is a Toshiba Satallite l305-s5944, Vista Home Basic (Don't know how much longer that will be true because it's been giving me a lot of hell lately and I might have to replace it soon) It is definitely not a Mini-USB, it seems to be slightly bigger than a normal Flash Drive. It should be a USB port because it's the same one I've plugged all my other 6 Flash drives into (Those are mostly full though) 

Sounds to me that it's a monolithic flash drive (all built into a single chip which fits just in the tip of it).  Probably the chip just came loose and is blocking the opening.  Try pushing it back down into place using a small blade.  Not in, but back down where it should lay.

No, it's solid, infact the edges of the black part protrude a tiny bit from the metal part. The metal part doesn't end evenly anyway, one side sticks out farther than the other. The best I can do is get it to wiggle a bit. As a matter of fact the more I look at it the more I'm starting to think it's put together backwards. (It's one of those that sticks out all the time and jut has a cap to put on it, I think they have the wrong end sticking out.)

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2015 - 07:08 PM

Is your type of flash drive shown on this page?

#6 Bad-People

Bad-People
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2015 - 07:10 PM

Is your type of flash drive shown on this page?

No.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2015 - 07:19 PM

Was there any model number or name on the packaging?

#8 Bad-People

Bad-People
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2015 - 07:50 PM

Was there any model number or name on the packaging?

Not that I can find. It's an EP Holdings drive shaped like a monkey (Hey, I didn't pick it) and I can't even find it on their website. 

#9 Bad-People

Bad-People
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2015 - 07:56 PM

I figured it out. I was right, they inserted the plug into the stick backwards so it was facing inwards. I managed to get it out so lets see if it actually works. 

EDIT: Okay looks like it works. Got my books backed-up at least. Now I just need to figure out what to do with my video collection. 

Edited by Bad-People, 29 May 2015 - 08:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users