Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Load Needed DLLs for Kernel" Issue with XP (Not Able to Boot Recovery Console)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Drew_B

Drew_B

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 28 May 2015 - 08:41 PM

Hello,

I am currently experiencing an issue with my old desktop PC and, even after Googling for hours and trying all of the advice I’ve found on several sites, still have been unable to solve—so I turn to you all, the experts, to hopefully be able to help me.

The desktop is a Compaq Presario 6000 running Windows XP Home Edition. Long story short, we’ve had the computer just sitting around for quite awhile; I got a BSOD on it around 2009, but I didn’t really have the time at that point to sit down and figure out anything more beyond that. I’m not really looking to continue using the computer for anything else in the future, but do have a lot of (un-backed up) files on it that I’d love to get off of it if possible.

When I attempt to boot up the computer normally, I get the error:

"Windows could not start because of an error in the software. Please report this problem as: load needed DLLs for kernel. Please contact your support person to report this problem."

I know this is a common error as I’ve been able to find several walk-throughs for this problem, but none of them have been able to help me thus far. This is largely because I am having issues entering the “Recovery Console” that all of the help sites I’ve found require getting to first (in order to execute the proper commands that would repair the damaged files).

I do not have original installation media for Windows XP, as my computer did not come with any when I first purchased it back in 2003. To that extent, I downloaded the .iso file of Windows XP Home Edition SP3 directly from Windows and successfully burned it onto a disc.

I have changed the boot sequence in BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first priority to boot up (and have placed my disc with the burned .iso in the drive). I am able to get to the screen which says “Press any key to boot from CD . . .,” so I hit enter, but when I do I get a few more periods like it is loading before being taken back to the exact same error message about “load needed DLLs for kernel.”

(For what it’s worth, I am also not able to boot the computer in Safe Mode at all.)

As you can tell, I’m starting to get pretty frustrated by the process so I would welcome any tips with where to go from here.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 29 May 2015 - 04:38 AM

Press keys other than "Enter" to see if that helps.

Once the periods show up, stop pressing the keys

Have you run any diagnostics on the system?  If not, try these free, bootable diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/initdiag.html

Start with the hard drive diagnostics (as there may be a hard drive problem.

Try another bootable recovery console image.  Here's the results of a search I made:  https://www.google.com/search?q=bootable+xp+recovery+console&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Drew_B

Drew_B
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 29 May 2015 - 04:49 PM

Hi John,

Thank you very much for response—it means a lot!

Re: running diagnostics on the system, to be completely honest the computer is so old I have no idea what kind of hard drive is installed in it, so I'm not sure what to download from the link you provided.

The second link you provided, the bootable recovery console image, was very helpful. I downloaded a bootable recovery .ISO and burned it to a CD, which allowed me to finally be able to get into the blue screen that says "Windows Setup" (which I hadn't been able to access before). However, when I get to the screen about repairing the selected Windows XP installation, pressing the R key does not seem to do anything (in fact, neither the F3 or ESC keys do anything, either). I tried using a different keyboard that I know works (both using a PS/2 connection instead of the USB port since I know that was an issue in BIOS), but neither of them allowed me to press the "R" key that would let me continue with the recovery.

Any tips?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 30 May 2015 - 04:46 AM

Try the Seagate Seatools test.  If that doesn't work, then try the Hitachi DFT (it was my primary test before SATA drives came out).

As for the Recovery Console - try the fixboot, fixmbr, and bootcfg /rebuild commands

As I recall, the repair command won't work in Recovery Console, only in a full version of XP

As your downloaded copy of XP doesn't boot, I'd have to suspect that there's a problem with it.

You may have to try another copy from a different source to see if you can find one that's bootable.

Edited by usasma, 30 May 2015 - 05:00 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users