Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with outdated program : Sony Movie Studio

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 puravida999

puravida999

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 28 May 2015 - 07:29 PM

Hi, I ask here because sony vegas forums are kinda dead. 

So today talking to someone who helped me to get rid of PUPs she advised me to keep my programs updated. So I bought Sony Movie Studio license (1 time payment) , it's version is 13.0 (build 190) - 64 bits. This program hasn't updated in 2 months, does anyone know if I receive free updates? is it safe to keep using this program without updating it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 28 May 2015 - 07:34 PM

Hi again puravida :)

I doubt that Sony Vegas is targeted by exploits to deliver payloads on a system, however, you should be able to update it if you paid for it (assuming there's updates for the current version you have, and not version 14 which I think will ask you for a new licence).

In the top menus you have in the program, under "Help", "About" or "?" you should have an "Update" option I think. I don't use the program so I can't tell exactly.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 puravida999

puravida999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 28 May 2015 - 08:40 PM

Hi again puravida :)

I doubt that Sony Vegas is targeted by exploits to deliver payloads on a system, however, you should be able to update it if you paid for it (assuming there's updates for the current version you have, and not version 14 which I think will ask you for a new licence).

In the top menus you have in the program, under "Help", "About" or "?" you should have an "Update" option I think. I don't use the program so I can't tell exactly.

It doesnt say anything about update, I found this in their site 

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/download/updates/moviestudio

that's what I have, but according to them that update was released in 2014, and I downloaded the software in 2015, so, am I good so far?

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 08:43 PM

If there's no "new" update for the program, then you are good.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2015 - 05:49 AM

Topic moved to more appropriate forum.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 JohnMcL7

JohnMcL7

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 08 June 2015 - 05:42 PM

Sony don't tend to release many updates for Vegas aside from occasional bug fixes until they release major versions which aren't free upgrades although as mentioned above since it's simply video editing software it doesn't need regular updates for security.

John

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 13 June 2015 - 12:43 PM

Updates were common for audio/video editing software...when Win 7 debuted, Win XP came forth, and so on...but there is no reason to expect updates for any of those programs.  Win 10 may provoke one or two...but it's more feasible that the software developers will use that to sell a new version of their products, given the opportunity :).

I still use Cool Edit 2K and it's been 15 years without one :).  I haven't updated Pinnacle or Corel video-editors in years...and they exhibit no problems nor need for updates.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users