Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video card problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 121212

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 28 May 2015 - 06:57 PM

Hi,

Ok here is my story;

I built a box 2.4 gihz 2 gig ram ATI 9000 64r many years ago, it ran like a charm. I decide to upgrade the monitor (21"WS) and Vid card to a 1650 pro 512r and it ran even better. a couple os years ago the card went bad so I put the 9000 back in will I looked for a card, it ran but could not justify to a wide screen. AMD recommended some cards but I could not get any to work, they said I needed to reinstall XP which I did not want to do. So I left it alone with the 9000 working poorly. A moth ago I bought a 1650 pro to try again I wiped off all ATI drivers and stuff and tried to install the 1650; guess what @#%$&$#!!!!

Catch 22; put the card in and BLANK SCREEN! Go back to mother board VGA and it boots but at 480x640 ouch!

How do you put a card in if you can't even get into Safe mode?

At this point I think my only option is to reload XP because I have never been able to make WXP Repair work.

I Just need to save all my Outlook Personal Files and contacts.

Help

Thanks

Edited by hamluis, 28 May 2015 - 07:20 PM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 28 May 2015 - 07:20 PM

If the card is properly seated...the system should boot and provide graphics capability, using the native XP drivers available.  This usually results in 800x600 resolution.

Then...you should boot into Windows and install the correct drivers for the newly-installed card, using the drivers cd which came with the card.

Louis

#3 121212

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 10:00 PM

Tried that a dozen or so times and only a blank screen...I also do not have a "display adapter" in my device manager

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 31 May 2015 - 05:20 PM

I'd replace the CMOS battery...and try again.

FWIW:  Reloading Windows...will not make the system recognize any hardware component that is previously did not...I can't make that connection.

I've never seen a Windows install...where there was no "display adapter" in Device Manager and the BIOS...since such are fundamental.  If the CMOS battery doesn't cure it, I'd have mentally move on to the motherboard as being suspect.

Louis

#5 121212

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2015 - 07:49 PM

Thanks,

The battery is brand new new.

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 02 June 2015 - 10:54 AM

With the new card installed, you need to boot to the install disk and do a REPAIR.  This will rescan the system and find the drivers to support the new card.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users