Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Programs crashing and BSODs

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 littleking

littleking

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 28 May 2015 - 06:20 PM

Problem:
- Problem started around May 11 or 12
- Chrome tabs crash occasionally throughout the day, had a single crash of world of warcraft and of chrome.
- Chrome extensions some times crash (less often than the tabs crashing)
- Occasional IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and MEMORY MANAGEMENT BSODs (happened about 4-5 times since the crashes started and haven't had any in the past 4 days. All happened while chrome was running)

- Hardware acceleration is turned off.
- Had a single firefox crash but I am uncertain if it is related, planning to try switching to firefox instead of chrome and see if there are crashes with firefox as well.  Crashes with firefox as well.

Vt4YX2r.png

5J33EuB.jpg

System:
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.30GHz (Was overclocked at 4.0GHz)
(2x 4GB) 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24)
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Z68X-UD3H-B3
MSI R9 280X Gaming 3G (It's refurbished had it since April 22)
240GB Crucial_CT240M500SSD1 ATA Device (SSD)
1TB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-00ZF5A0 ATA Device (SATA)
GS700 — 80 PLUS® Bronze Certified Power Supply
2013 Razer DeathAdder

What I've Tried/Done (In order):

1. Tried running chrome in incognito mode, added a new person with no extensions (crashes still happened)
  2. Reseated memory
  3. Ran prime95 for an hour, @ 4.0GHz OC max temp was 68c and no crashes.
  4. restored cpu overclock to stock
  5. Ran memtest for 2 passes with no errors.
  6. Ran "sfc /scannow", it was unable to fix some files.
  7. Ran Malwarebytes, Windows defender, Adwcleaner, and hitmanpro. (few hits in chrome temp data, removed those files)
  8. Formatted hardrive and reinstalled windows
  9. Ran "chkdsk /f", 0 KB in bad sectors.
  10. Ran driver verifier, msi afterburner driver caused crash at start up (removed it)
  11. Ran driver verifier, crashed while watching a youtube video on chrome from driver 88d79cdf_a4bf_4bfc_9cf0_c9ca4be1a6fb.sys (searched computer and couldn't find it, and nothing showed up on google)
  12. Installed motherboard drivers
  13. Installed AMD driver 14.12, instead of the 15.4 beta driver from before I reinstalled windows.
  14. Ran Malwarebytes, Windows defender, Adwcleaner, and hitmanpro again. (nothing found)
  15. Ran memtest for 5 passes with no errors.
  16. Ran prime95 for an hour, max temp was 64c and no crashes.
  17. Played The Witcher 3 for 6 hours and no problems.
  18. Switched page file from ssd to hdd, only had one tab crash since I did it (not sure if it helped or if it was unrelated as the crashes are normally unpredictable.) May 27, Did not help just got a MEMRY MANAGEMENT BSOD May 28 17:54 PST

Attached Files

Edited by littleking, 28 May 2015 - 07:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 28 May 2015 - 08:25 PM

...restored cpu overclock to stock

....Formatted hardrive and reinstalled windows

.....Ran driver verifier, msi afterburner driver caused crash at start up (removed it)

....Ran driver verifier, crashed while watching a youtube video on chrome from driver 88d79cdf_a4bf_4bfc_9cf0_c9ca4be1a6fb.sys (searched computer and couldn't find it, and nothing showed up on google)

....Switched page file from ssd to hdd, only had one tab crash since I did it (not sure if it helped or if it was unrelated as the crashes are normally unpredictable.) May 27

Hi -

I see that Windows was reinstalled on 19 May 2015. You only have 18 Windows Updates installed; there should be ~125-150. Please check for outstanding Windows Updates & allow all to install.

I assume you had BSODs in the prior Windows installation...? Was the system overclocked then too?

Is o/c reset to default at this time?

I did see driver RTCore64.sys in several VERIFIER_ENABLED dumps (bugcheck = 0xc4)

http://www.sysnative.com/drivers/driver.php?id=RTCore64.sys

Definitely a good move to remove the offending driver in this case where Driver Verifier flagged it.

The other VERIFIER_ENABLED dump (also bugcheck 0xc4) that named 88d79cdf_a4bf_4bfc_9cf0_c9ca4be1a6fb was likely a dynamically allocated driver (allocated on the fly); probably belonging to Speccy, but am not 100% positive of that.

From the dump, we find Speccy listed as the process (last line) -
BUGCHECK_STR:  0xc4_f6
CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT:  1
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  VERIFIER_ENABLED_VISTA_MINIDUMP
PROCESS_NAME:  Speccy64.exe
A follow-up module listing of the driver shows its location in %temp% of your user profile -
2: kd> lmvm 88d79cdf_a4bf_4bfc_9cf0_c9ca4be1a6fb
start             end                 module name
fffff800`03fbe000 fffff800`03fc6000   88d79cdf_a4bf_4bfc_9cf0_c9ca4be1a6fb T (no symbols)           
    Loaded symbol image file: 88d79cdf-a4bf-4bfc-9cf0-c9ca4be1a6fb
    Image path: \??\C:\Users\ryann_000\AppData\Local\Temp\88d79cdf-a4bf-4bfc-9cf0-c9ca4be1a6fb
    Image name: 88d79cdf-a4bf-4bfc-9cf0-c9ca4be1a6fb
    Timestamp:        Thu Mar 12 05:03:44 2009 (49B8CFF0)
    CheckSum:         0000F7CD
    ImageSize:        00008000
    Translations:     0000.04b0 0000.04e4 0409.04b0 0409.04e4
Are you running the most recent version of Speccy - v1.28.709?

The location of the page file has no bearing on the actual cause of BSODs, i.e., moving the page file as you described did not cause or even contribute to the BSODs.

I would have to conclude based on the dumps, which really don't tell us very much at all here that RAM failure is likely - whether it is RAM itself failing or other underlying hardware affecting RAMs ability to properly hold kernel code is unknown, i.e., cause = "unknown hardware failure". This theory is bolstered by the fact that BSODs continued after reinstalling Windows and in fact occurred on the very same day.

Run memtest86+ again, but run each stick in each slot one at a time. 7 passes minimum - http://www.sysnative.com/forums/hardware-tutorials/3909-test-ram-memtest86.html

Check Crucial support for a firmware upgrade for your Crucial CT240M500SSD1 SSD - http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/support-ssd

I noticed that you have 2x4GB RAM; however, the sticks don't appear to be matched. They are the same speed (1333), but appear to have other minor differences as well as different manufacturers. I would suggest that you try running on a single stick (doesn't matter which one - try both separately) and see if the BSODs continue.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2
Microsoft MVP 2009-2015

#3 littleking

littleking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 28 May 2015 - 09:02 PM

I see that Windows was reinstalled on 19 May 2015. You only have 18 Windows Updates installed; there should be ~125-150. Please check for outstanding Windows Updates & allow all to install.

I'll try that, when the problems first happened on previous windows install was when some windows updates failed to install.

I assume you had BSODs in the prior Windows installation...? Was the system overclocked then too?

I did. It was overclocked and stable for about a month before the crashes and BSODs happened,

Is o/c reset to default at this time?

I set it to default before the windows reinstallation and it is still at the default now.

The other VERIFIER_ENABLED dump (also bugcheck 0xc4) that named 88d79cdf_a4bf_4bfc_9cf0_c9ca4be1a6fb was likely a dynamically allocated driver (allocated on the fly); probably belonging to Speccy, but am not 100% positive of that.

Was watching a youtube video when that happened so it might br from that.

Are you running the most recent version of Speccy - v1.28.709?

I was running an older version of speccy but I have v1.28.709 installed now.

I would have to conclude based on the dumps, which really don't tell us very much at all here that RAM failure is likely - whether it is RAM itself failing or other underlying hardware affecting RAMs ability to properly hold kernel code is unknown, i.e., cause = "unknown hardware failure". This theory is bolstered by the fact that BSODs continued after reinstalling Windows and in fact occurred on the very same day.

Is there a way to find out (without buying new hardware) to tell if it's hardware affecting the ram?

Run memtest86+ again, but run each stick in each slot one at a time. 7 passes minimum - http://www.sysnative.com/forums/hardware-tutorials/3909-test-ram-memtest86.html

Will do this.

Check Crucial support for a firmware upgrade for your Crucial CT240M500SSD1 SSD - http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/support-ssd

Currently using the latest firmware for the ssd

I noticed that you have 2x4GB RAM; however, the sticks don't appear to be matched. They are the same speed (1333), but appear to have other minor differences as well as different manufacturers. I would suggest that you try running on a single stick (doesn't matter which one - try both separately) and see if the BSODs continue.

The G.Skill ram was a replacement I bought when my second PNY ram went bad on me after 3 years. Going to test each stick by itself, but could it be because of different ram even though it's been working for 4 months?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users