Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need to Uninstall a Program, Not Listed Under Control Panel

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Bad-People

Bad-People

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 28 May 2015 - 06:03 PM

I have a program stuck on my taskbar that sometimes causes my web browser to crash(seems to be doing it more often now) called Search Protect. I want to uninstall it but it doesn't show up under the control panel or even in Revo Uninstaller. Virus scans don't pick it up either. How can I remove this? (Preferably without having to download anything else)

Windows Vista Home Basic. 

Edited by hamluis, 28 May 2015 - 06:10 PM.
Moved from Vista to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bad-People

Bad-People
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 06:46 PM

I killed it from the taskbar using Revo Unistaller Hunter Mode. It remains to be seen if it did any good. 

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,613 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 28 May 2015 - 06:58 PM

The correct way to remove most programs is from within its program group Uninstall shortcut in Start Menu > All Programs or by using Programs and Features (Add/Remove Programs) in Control Panel, so always check there first. In most cases, using the uninstaller of the software not only removes it more effectively, but it also restores many changed configuration settings. Important! Reboot when done and delete the Program folder if it still exists.

Alternatively, you can use a third-party utility like Revo Uninstaller Free or Portable and follow these instructions for using it. Revo provides a listing of all installed software by installation date and when removing a program, Revo does a more comprehensive job of searching for and removing related registry entries, files and folders.

Keep in mind that not all programs show up in Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Features in Control Panel. Some will have their own uninstaller, which can be found in the program's folder or Start Menu without the need to register in that location. This is typically by design as some vendors write installation routines so their program intentionally will not be included in the Add/Remove list. Stand-alone applications have no installer at all but they may create registry keys when used and those entries can be detected by third-party tools as installed software. In older operating system, this behavior occurred if a program's DisplayName or uninstall key name was longer than 63 characters.If the program is not listed in Programs and Features (Add/Remove Programs) look for an uninstall icon (shortcut) from within its program group. Click on Start > All Programs (or Program Files), look for the program folder by name and use the program's uninstaller. If it's not there, the next step would be to open Window's Explorer, manually navigate to the program's folder itself, look for an uninstaller file (i.e. uninstall.exe) and double-click on it to run.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Bad-People

Bad-People
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 07:13 PM

How do I find a program's folder to see if it has an uninstaller. All I ever saw of it was on the taskbar. 

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,613 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 07:29 PM

open Window's Explorer, manually navigate to the program's folder itself

#6 Bad-People

Bad-People
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 08:05 PM

open Window's Explorer, manually navigate to the program's folder itself

Assume I don't know much about computers; like what Window's Explorer is or what the program folder is. 

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,613 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 08:18 PM

What is Windows Explorer
How to Open Windows Explorer
How to Open Windows Explorer From the Start Menu

In a standard Windows installation, the Program Files and Program Files (x86) directories are at %SystemDrive%, usually C:\Program Files, C:\Program Files (x86). Individual Program Folders are inside those folders.

#8 Bad-People

Bad-People
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 08:36 PM

What is Windows Explorer
How to Open Windows Explorer
How to Open Windows Explorer From the Start Menu

In a standard Windows installation, the Program Files and Program Files (x86) directories are at %SystemDrive%, usually C:\Program Files, C:\Program Files (x86). Individual Program Folders are inside those folders.

I looked in there and as far as I could tell I didn't find any related files. Did find some other maleware files in there though so thanks. 

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,613 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 08:39 PM

You're welcome.