Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Considering buying used gaming desktop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ttillett

ttillett

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 28 May 2015 - 05:27 PM

I have a coworker who is selling his old gaming desktop. I've been considering building my own but haven't done much research yet and when this opportunity popped up I thought maybe I'd get a better deal than building my own, albeit used. Based on the accessories included alone it seems like a great deal, but can anyone tell me how much bang for my buck I'd be getting at this price with these components? For instance, how long can I expect these specs to keep me running for upcoming games? Any help is appreciated.

Custom Gaming Computer with 2 Monitors, Keyboard/Mouse, Wireless 7.1 Headset, 5.1 Surround Speakers $700

-Intel i7 2.66 GHz quad-core processor (8-cores, 4 physical) with Hyper Threading.
-EVGA x58 3x SLI motherboard with 6 (total 8) USB slots!
-EVGA nVidia GTX680 Classified 4GB DDR5 PCI Express 3.0 video card (about 1.5 years old). Run all your games on high settings.
-OCZ Gold 12GB 240-pin DDR3 1600 RAM: Low-latency gaming memory (8-8-8-24), six 2GB sticks in Triple-Channel. Fast response!
-Thermaltake 850W power supply (about 1.5 years old). Margin to run computer max-load with capacitor aging taken into consideration.
-Razor Lycosa keyboard (blue backlit) and Razor Death Adder mouse (blue lit).
-Logitech G970 7.1 Surround Sound wireless headset with microphone (about 1 year old).
-Samsung 24” low-latency gaming monitor (1900x1200 high-resolution).
-Dell 17” secondary monitor with DVI adaptor for the GTX680.
-Logitech 140W 5.1 surround sound speakers. One speaker is missing but easily replaced. LOTS of high quality power!
-Comes with all necessary cables. Will NOT come with the hard drive. It’s real easy to add one (or six) with your favorite operating system and storage setup (RAID, SSD, HDD, your call).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Guest_gacl_*

Guest_gacl_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 08:18 PM

Its a pretty solid build but try to find what model the I7 is?  Depending on what generation it is the bang for the buck goes up or down.  No matter what it is, it should be fine.

#3 TheN00bBuilder

TheN00bBuilder

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2015 - 12:16 PM

@gacl, it is an Intel I7 920-950, as those are the only quad core X58 platform chips with HT.

CPU; $50

Motherboard; $130

RAM; $100

PSU; $70

GPU; $130

Mouse/Keyboard; $100

Monitor; $100

Other Monitor; $10

Headset; $45

Speakers; $35

Not a bad deal. All you need is an HDD and an OS to make it complete.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($51.49 @ OutletPC)
Other: Microsoft Software Swap on Reddit ($15.00)
Total: $66.49
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-31 13:16 EDT-0400

Sorry if I snap at you. I can't stand stupid for more than 5 minutes at a time.

#4 Blues4est

Blues4est

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 11 June 2015 - 06:07 PM

Agree w/TheNoob, for not being that old I'd only add if I knew which mobo I'd be vy interested in what else you could throw in it. Bang for the buck is much harder to quantify. Always new cards coming out. AMD has some new cards this summer but will be $$$.

Not to detract but with a system that new you could easily SLI for years, depending on what cpu. If the mobo can take an i7 I think prices will be much better next year when newer tech rolls out. For instance, unless someone oc's, the cpu is probably the most bullet-proof component to pick up used.

I'd save you the building aspect. 700 is a lot of moola towards new but that's an awful lot of gear.

Cheers,

Blues

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users