Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rogue partition driving me insane!!!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 GNCRaiano

GNCRaiano

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 28 May 2015 - 05:13 PM

Hi, a partition appears on my computer from time to time that's inaccessible, I can't take ownership of & contains numerous exe's, about 10 items named sftlist.exe which appear to be in use but not showing in task manager.

I also keep losing ownership of my external drives which is incredibly frustrating & some I cannot take back even in safe mode. The partition doesn't show up in DISKPART & I tried to remove it in safe mode but didn't show up. My DNS keeps changing every few seconds to a random server & computer's been freezing constantly. As well as Chrome stopped working so I tried uninstalling it & then was unable to reinstall it. Check out program files & there a Google folder constantly producing different system files while offline that cannot be deleted as access is denied! 

Also, I checked computer management & it doesn't show up there either. Definitely not the system partition as I was able to take full ownership of it. When I look at properties of partition it doesn't state file system & says size is 0.
Now starting to get weird annoying error messages everywhere, for instance telling me sharing violations are occurring when I try to perform simple tasks & I'm unable to erase or move the picture I just attached as administrative privileges are required, despite me being admin I cannot give permission then it just randomly disappeared, & not to the recycling bin. Pulling my hair out here!

I'm contemplating reinstalling windows or using a system image backup if I can gain ownership to my external HD for long enough.

Any input would be fantastic thanks.

Attached File  Untitled.png   895.17KB   0 downloads

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 28 May 2015 - 05:22 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to 'Am I infected?'

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,939 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 28 May 2015 - 07:57 PM

Do you have the Click and Run version of Microsoft Office?

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/local-disk-q-access-denied-0-bytes-file-system/f4426199-5077-4bbc-99f5-49036b73478d

#3 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,042 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 31 May 2015 - 06:08 AM

Agree with JohnC ........check for Office Clk and Run ...had a few i repaired with same issue.

#4 GNCRaiano

GNCRaiano
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2015 - 07:28 AM

Thanks for that info. I did a whole bunch of things in safe mode the other night that I wasn't able to do such as delete about 10-15 folders in program files that seemed highly suspicious including automatically regenerating Google files that I couldn't remove normally & weren't allowing me to re install Chrome. All seems to be well now, I also repaired Office as mentioned which may have helped too.

Got a program called Spyware Hunter 4 that finds an enormous amount of spyware Microsoft Security Essentials doesn't. Before all of these recent issues my computer had been extremely sluggish & glitchy with suspicious bookmarks & popups/redirections all the time compared to when I bought it. Spyware Hunter found over 1000 infected files & rogue applications the first time including some nasty trojans that allowed full access to my system. It was lightning fast after reboot & still frequently picks up spyware from normal browsing that the browser itself & Microsoft SE doesn't. Not to mention allows me to revert my DNS settings each time they're changed suspiciously which seems to happen a lot no doubt by people that previously had access to my system trying to give me false pages & popups. It's scary what can be done with DNS modification. Webpages, URL's, & program popups can look perfectly normal & be completely fake.

I'd highly recommend SH4, you can do a free scan before buying.

All the best.

Edited by GNCRaiano, 31 May 2015 - 07:28 AM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,939 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 31 May 2015 - 11:48 AM

Yea, there a lot of free programs that can do the job. This youtube poster was actually given a legal threat by Enigma, the maker or Spyhunter.

Another video

#6 GNCRaiano

GNCRaiano
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2015 - 05:34 PM

Thanks but honestly I'd trust anything free far less & was amazed how much faster my computer ran after removing 1000 infected files with SH that SE missed & really appreciate being informed of DNS changes. My computer had been running like crap for a year or more before I got SH & still runs far better over all despite this recent short lived development which seems to be all cleared up since I deleted the suspicious program files. If a program's free how are they funding their research & software development in the first place? How can it truly be an effective program even if it is safe? I'm not going to waste my time with any free programs besides SE. I did feel it was a little deceptive but was so happy with the results I'm happy to keep it for now. I was lead to it at the top of Google when I searched for the goz virus. Anyway, it's no longer on the list of rogue products but will bare your advice in mind should anything unexpected arise. Thanks, all the best.

#7 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 11:45 AM

Do you have another antivirus software present? Emsisoft can be run on its own because it's both AV and AM, but Malwarebytes must be run alongside another AV to achieve full protection.

#8 GNCRaiano

GNCRaiano
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 11:47 AM

Do you have another antivirus software present? Emsisoft can be run on its own because it's both AV and AM, but Malwarebytes must be run alongside another AV to achieve full protection.

Only SE. I need more? Seems a bit much to have multiple paid subscriptions.

#9 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 11:50 AM

I'm just asking... if you have Microsoft Security Essentials, that is fine.

Here are some information you might find useful before we part ways...

Best Practices for Safe Computing - Prevention of Malware Infection
How Malware Spreads - How did I get infected
About those Toolbars and Add-ons - Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs)

Regards,
Alex

#10 GNCRaiano

GNCRaiano
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 12:12 PM

I'm just asking... if you have Microsoft Security Essentials, that is fine.

Here are some information you might find useful before we part ways...

Best Practices for Safe Computing - Prevention of Malware Infection
How Malware Spreads - How did I get infected
About those Toolbars and Add-ons - Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs)

Regards,
Alex

Thanks so much, I'll look into them. Have a nice life ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users