Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase Template; Also Looking at MSI Apache GE62/GE72 Laptops

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Miroku16

Miroku16

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 28 May 2015 - 05:06 PM

Hey everyone.  Ever since my old HP Pavilion HP Pavilion dv7-4087cl  from 2010 crashed on me, I have been in new computer mode since late last summer.  I have been trying figure out what I was looking for, such as a laptop or desktop.  I kept going back and forth until my 9 year old backup laptop, Acer Aspire, broke down a few weeks ago.  With the casualties of both my laptops, I decided it was best to definitely shop for a new laptop.  I am looking for a laptop that I can use for school.  I also want a computer that has good gaming capabilities. 

I wanted to get the forum's opinion on the MSI Apache GE62 and GE72.  I have seen great reviews for the GE62, which is one that I am leaning towards.  The GE72 just has more ram and a bigger screen.  Links of the specs are provided below:

MSI GE62: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152711

MSI GE72: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152738

Just in case, I will use the template as a guide.  I am open to all opinions and recommendations that fits my criteria if they are outside MSI Apache models that I listed above.

Laptop or Desktop?
Laptop
My budget for the new computer is: 
$1000-1300
What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)? 
Gaming, web browsing, school work, video editing, a little game streaming on twitch

What software do you intend on using on the computer? 
Microsoft office, Power Director, Xsplit/OBS, Steam

Do you play games? If so, what type of games? 
Dota 2, League of Legends, Heroes of the Storm, other games that I can access from steam

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? 
I tend to keep some internet tabs open along with some programs.  I can adapt to the new computer if I need to.

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer?

Yes, but will probably use a portable hard drive if I need to.  I also will be utilizing cloud storage like google drive and dropbox.  It is preferred to have a 1TB hdd at 7200RPM.  If I can get a good deal, then ssd (yet not that important right now).

Will you be overclocking?

I don't know how to overclock, so no

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices?

Newegg

How many monitors are you planning to use?

For now, I will use it with my hdmi port from my television.

Maybe 2 computer monitors down the road for a three screen setup (laptop and two monitors). 

Do you need peripherals? OS?
None except for a mouse, maybe a cooling mat.  Windows 8.1, but will take advantage of the free Windows 10 upgrade as soon as it comes out.  

Any particular reason why you are upgrading?

I want the versatility of doing school work, media consumption, and gaming on the go.  I have never had a computer with a dedicated gpu.  Consequently, my remaining desktop of 10 years cannot play, let alone open the latest and past games from steam.  Ever since I was able to do some light gaming on my HP Pavilion on a integrated graphics card, I wanted to play more.  However, I would like more computing muscle. I haven't played a computer game since August, so I am ready to play again.

Edited by Miroku16, 28 May 2015 - 05:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheN00bBuilder

TheN00bBuilder

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 31 May 2015 - 12:10 PM

This fits your bill. Its also on sale for 48 hours. $1400 with free shipping.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=9759861&sku=VSU-102776234B&SRCCODE=WEM4554CH&utm_source=EML&utm_medium=main&utm_campaign=WEM4554&cm_lm=81e14e69e32ce6c07392766b8d9f1315

Sorry if I snap at you. I can't stand stupid for more than 5 minutes at a time.

#3 Miroku16

Miroku16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 11:07 AM

Thanks for the suggestion.  I appreciate it.  However, I have been seeing this model design of the ROG as a little off-putting.  I have been looking at it before, yet am not quite sold on it.

I have witnessed done more research on computers and have found models from Gigabyte.  While the Apache has design and decent power and price, these Gigabyte models have the most bang-for-your-buck in the price range that I am looking for.  

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834233069

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834233076

These seem like solid computers with a more minimalist approach.  Is Gigabyte a good manufacturer for laptops as they are for computer parts?  If so, are these models a good buy?

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 05 June 2015 - 05:02 PM

Asus= Superior cooling in their laptops -- This could be important to you (it is to me) however I am not willing to pay the premium that goes along with it.. meaning.. ASUS is kinda like Alienware in the respect of they know they have good products and because they have been in the biz a long time and know what they are doing you are going to pay extra for that.  Depending on how long you've been 'into computers' you know that ASUS doesn't put out crap and they know it too so you pay for it.

MSI=MSI have been in the biz probably about as long as ASUS they are very competitive pricing but as far as laptop cooling and some other options.. Asus has them beat (MSI is what I would buy if I could afford one)

Gigabyte = I put Gig in the same category as MSI very good laptops but their pricing sometimes makes me cock my head and go .. wha?? 

I like Gigabyte's motherboards and I use MSI's motherboards I just havn't found a good reason to switch to Gigabyte.  If it ain't broke......

If you find something you like any any of the above laptop brands none of them will let you down.  In my opinion.. it is all in what you are willing to pay (or can afford)

#5 Miroku16

Miroku16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 03:40 PM

I appreciate the advice.  I decided to go with the Gigabyte P37K. It had everything that I wanted and needed, and at a resonable price.  Thanks everyone for the suggestions and advice.  I appreciate it. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users