Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win7 laptop, cpu and memory hogs

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 grumpycat

grumpycat

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 28 May 2015 - 04:28 PM

I've notice after my long overdue windows update, there's a few processes that seem to eat up my cpu and memory.

Two of the processes are conhost.exe and makecab.exe. Sometimes when I notice my computer starts to slow down, I see more than 5 of conhost.exe and makecab.exe up and running. While these two are up I see TrustedInstaller.exe and a certain svchost.exe taking up quite some memory and cpu. 

I've let these run a few times hoping it would go away in a few days, but it hasn't and it's getting on my nerves. Is this normal? I want this these processes to resolve once and for all without the constant cpu and memory lag from day to day.

I hope I post this in the right place.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,949 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 28 May 2015 - 05:48 PM

The best information I have is that 'Trustedinstaller' is a genuine Windows service which is partly responsible for the correct installation of Windows updates -

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/trustedinstaller-exe-windows-7

However it can get corrupted and the first line of attack is to run SFC /scannow. To do this, open the command prompt as administrator. You will find it in 'Start - All programs - Accessories'. Right click on it there and choose 'Run as Administrator'. You will get a black window with white text, type SFC /SCANNOW at the prompt, note the space between 'SFC' and '/SCANNOW', and let it run. this can take a fair amount of time, upwards of an hour or more, but let it finish and see if your problem is resolved after you re-boot your computer.

If this doesn't solve your problem I would do a system restore - 'Start - Control panel - Recovery' - and follow the prompts. Your system should have created a restore point before it installed your 'long overdue update', use that one.

Once you have done the restore you will need to re-install the updates. I would suggest you set your updates to 'Notify' and install them say five at a time doing a re-boot after each batch. If one of them creates a problem it is then much easier to establish which one it is !

MS release updates on the second Tuesday of each month - for the future try installing them on a monthly basis !

Chris Cosgrove

PS _ Welcome to BC !

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 28 May 2015 - 05:49 PM.
Addition of PS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users