Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reset user permissions to default

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 28 May 2015 - 02:53 PM

I am following this guide here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/509474/reset-all-user-permissions-to-default/

Every line fails with "Error : 5 Access is denied".

How do I proceed troubleshooting this issue?

for3ver,
goose90proof

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 02:55 PM

Hi goose90proof :)

This script most likely needs Admin Rights to execute. Right-click on the .cmd file you created and select Run as Administrator.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 03:34 PM

D'oh! I think my last run was indeed without admin rights. And I may have been overly dramatic... not every line is failing, but less than 1% are successful. I will update the thread here shortly with my findings.

for3ver,
goose90proof

#4 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 03:46 PM

It's failing a lot less now. :)

Still experiencing some failures in certain subkeys, but I'm less troubled by a few exceptions than just system wide unauthorized access.

Thanks for your quick response.

for3ver,
goose90proof

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 04:19 PM

No problem goose :) Althought it might not be the same thing, you can use Windows Repair AIO to reset all the permissions on the files/folders of your drives, and the Registry as well. If you ever need it, let me know and I'll post the instructions.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2015 - 01:23 PM

I have used WRAIO before, but it didn't occur to me to use it in this context. I am not sure what methodology or coverage that product uses, but I felt that using the script in the guide I posted in the OP I would have good coverage over the entire system.

Would you happen to know how these two methods are compared to one another? Do they overlap in all the same areas or would one have more comprehensive "care" than the other.

for3ver,
goose90proof

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2015 - 01:25 PM

I would be more inclined to use Windows Repair AIO, since it's more complete and also it's kept up to date. Permissions can change in the newer version of Windows. Tweaking.com will adjust Windows Repair AIO, but the OP of the other thread with the script won't adjust it.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users