Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Connection Keeps Cutting Off

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 amandahugnkiss

amandahugnkiss

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 06 July 2006 - 03:21 AM

when ever im downloading stuff, my internet connection keeps cutting of. it happened when i was using limewire, so i removed it..

it happened when i was using azurez for torrents so i stopped using it, now im using bittorent and it keeps doing it with it!!!!! :thumbsup:

its really annoying as i cant download anything at all :flowers:

im using avg anti virus.. and have no firewall on.. think its just the windows firewall that i am using..

i run regular virus checks and any infected files it picked up get cleaned..

any help on this would be great :trumpet:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 06 July 2006 - 05:25 AM

im using avg anti virus.. and have no firewall on.. think its just the windows firewall that i am using.

The Windows XP firewall protects against port scanning but has limitations and it is no replacement for a 3rd-party personal firewall.

1. The XP firewall is not a full featured firewall. Normal firewalls allow you to specifically control each TCP and UDP port but XPís firewall does not provide you with this capability. Instead, it takes a point and click approach to enabling or disabling a few common ports.

2. The XP firewall does a good job of monitoring, examining and blocking inbound traffic but makes no attempt to filter or block outbound traffic like most 3rd-party personal firewalls. Thus, the XP firewall does not identify which programs attempt to initiate outbound network or Internet communications nor does it block the traffic when suspicious activity occurs.

This feature can be helpful in preventing many types of malware attacks that may attempt to open ports or communicate with outside servers without the user's knowledge or consent. It also means that if your system has been compromised, a hacker could use your machine as part of a distributed denial of service attack.

If your having trouble getting specific programs or services to reach the internet after you enable Internet Connection Firewall, do this:
1∑ Click Start > Click Settings > Select Control Panel > Select Network and Internet Connections and select Network Connections.
2. Right-click your Internet connection, and then click "Properties".
3. Click the "Advanced tab" in the Properties dialog box.
4. Click "Settings", and the Advanced Settings dialog box opens.
5. Go to "Exceptions". From here you can enable most common services by clicking them, or add others by clicking the Add Program button.

Here is a list of free firewalls available for download:
Zone Alarm Free for Personal Use
older versions here.
Kerio Personal Firewall [available in a full and limited free edition].
Kerio Personal Firewall 2.1.5 [last freeware version that was strictly a firewall and not bundled with extra features that hog resources and slow down your system performance].
Outpost Firewall Free
Jetico Personal Free
Sygate Personal Firewall Free 5.6

If you choose to use a 3rd-party firewall, you need to disable the Windows firewall. Running multiple software firewalls on a single computer can cause conflicts that are hard to identify and troubleshoot. Only one of the firewalls can receive the packets over the network and process them. Sometimes you may even have a conflict that causes neither firewall to protect your connection. However, you can use a hardware firewall (your router) and a software firewall (Kerio or ZoneAlarm) in conjunction.

To supplement your anti-virus, I recommend these:
If your running Win XP/2000, download and scan with Ewido Anti-Spyware v4.0 in "SAFE MODE".
Print out the Ewido Install and Scan Instructions.

Download and scan with Ad-Aware SE Personal 1.06. Setup & Configure as shown here.
Download and scan with Spybot S&D 1.4. Setup & Configure as shown here.
[DO NOT choose the option to install TeaTimer]
Note: If you encounter any error messages while downloading the updates, manually download them from here.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 amandahugnkiss

amandahugnkiss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM