Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Combofix not working

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 LordChilde

LordChilde

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 28 May 2015 - 02:33 PM

Recent updates of Combofix do not display the log - it runs, and waits for the log... permenently. After which I simply have to close the programme. I've been using Combofix for about 5 years (Windows 7) without any problems. Now it doesn't fix anything.

Edited by LordChilde, 28 May 2015 - 02:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 02:36 PM

Hello there,

Please do NOT run ComboFix without supervision by a trained malware removal helper.

From Bleeping Computer's guide on running ComboFix:

No one should be using ComboFix unless specifically instructed to do so by a Malware Removal Expert who can interpret the logs. It is a powerful toolintended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert", NOT for general public or personal use. ComboFix was never meant to be used as a general purpose malware scanner like Emsisoft Anti-Malware or Malwarebytes Anti-Malware which scan individual drives or different folders on a computer for malware...nor was it designed to be a remote support toolUsing this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. When issues arise due to complex malware infections, possible false detections, problems running ComboFix or with other security tools causing conflicts, experts are usually aware of them and can advise what should or should not be done while providing individual assistance. Those attempting to use ComboFix on their own do not have such information and are at risk when running the tool in an unsupervised environment. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer.

That said, ComboFix can stall for a multitude of reasons.

If you need help with removing malware, please follow the Preparation Guide and post a new topic in here.

Regards,
Alex

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 28 May 2015 - 02:37 PM

Hi LordChilde :)

If you read the ComboFix FAQ by quietman, you'll come across this part:

As a general policy, Bleeping Computer does not offer advice on how to run ComboFix unless we asked someone to run it or if there is a problem with the computer caused by running the tool. We recommend that people should not be using ComboFix without being advised to do so by a trained expert who is assisting them deal with a malware problem. When issues arise due to complex malware infections, problems running ComboFix (i.e. stalling, hanging, crashing) or with other security tools causing conflicts, experts are usually aware of them and can advise what should or should not be done while providing individual assistance. When false detections are identified, experts have access to the developer and can report them so he can investigate, confirm and make corrections. Those attempting to use ComboFix on their own do not have such information and are at risk when running the tool in an unsupervised environment.

If you think that you are infected with malware, you should request a check-up in the malware removal section of BleepingComputer. There you'll be assisted by a trained malware removal helper that will help you get rid of every infection on your system. In order to do that, you have to post a thread in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs section. You have to follow the instructions in the preparation guide prior to posting your thread, since it contains the steps to follow when posting it.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 LordChilde

LordChilde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 02:38 PM

Please, save the cautionary bollocks for those with an IQ of 60.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,197 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 02:39 PM

cautionary bollocks

I'll Google that expression in a few, never heard of it. But the disclaimer is real LordChilde, if you need a Moderator to post it for you (since you'll be given the same answer), simply wait a bit and one will.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,429 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 28 May 2015 - 02:42 PM

I wish my computer store followed BC's excellent advice!  They ran ComboFix, thankfully I had an image OS backup.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#7 LordChilde

LordChilde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 02:43 PM

I'm not asking for help in cleaning my machine - I've used Malwarebyes, so it's OK.

I just want to know why the log isn't showing.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,197 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 02:45 PM

It's impossible to assume that a system is clean with only one Antimalware scan :) Also, there can be multiple reasons for it, but like I said, you probably won't get support for it here unless you're asked by a trained helper to run ComboFix for malware removal (or in that case, troubleshooting purpose).

unite_blue.png

#9 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 02:45 PM

Hi there,

The inner workings of ComboFix are not publicly discussed in order to protect the tool from malware writers.

You will have to bring that question to a trained helper, I'm afraid.

#10 LordChilde

LordChilde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 02:51 PM

Alright, fair enough.

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,197 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 02:52 PM

Just don't forget to post the link to your thread in the MRT section here after, so a Moderator can close this thread (since there'll be a redirect to your new thread) :)

unite_blue.png

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,582 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 06:10 PM

No need to post in the MRL forum for this issue.

What is the most current version of CF you ran and where did you download it from?
Did you get an error messages?
Did you physically check to see if CF created a log in the root directory (%SystemDrive%), usually C:\ComboFix.txt? Just because it did not automatically display a log, does not necessarily mean one was not created.

When you provide that info I will contact and ask the developer.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#13 LordChilde

LordChilde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 07:15 PM

No need to post in the MRL forum for this issue.

What is the most current version of CF you ran and where did you download it from?
Did you get an error messages?
Did you physically check to see if CF created a log in the root directory (%SystemDrive%), usually C:\ComboFix.txt? Just because it did not automatically display a log, does not necessarily mean one was not created.

When you provide that info I will contact and ask the developer.

Thank you.

Downloaded the latest version at CF prompt.

No error messages

No log txt

The CF window will display indefinitely.

Just to reiterate, laptop is fine. But out of curiosity (and future use), does manually closing the CF window after run negate any fixes? Or is the log just a formality.

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,582 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 07:38 PM

There are circumstances ComboFix will hang, crash or stall at various stages due to malware interference, failure to disable other real-time protection tools or the presence of CD Emulators (Daemon Tools, Alchohol 120%, Astroburn, AnyDVD) so that it does not complete successfully. Also, depending on how badly a system is infected, ComboFix may take longer to complete its routine than it normally does or fail to run properly. While that is not normal behavior, it is not unusual.

Using Task Manager to stop ComboFix's related process usually is enough to abort it.

Open Task Manager and look for the following ComboFix related processes (some have a .3XE extension):
  • PEV.exe
  • NirCmd.3XE
  • PEV.3XE
  • SED
  • GREP
  • any file that has the extension *.3XE except CF*****.3XE <- do not end this process
One at a time, right-click and select End Process. If doing that did not free ComboFix and allow it to continue, then you will need to reboot the computer manually. When closed prematurely, ComboFix will not have completed all its routines and therefore not create a log.

In any case I will advise sUBs about the issue however, I do not know how long it will take for a reply.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#15 LordChilde

LordChilde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •