Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Professional Hangs when deleting or Renaming Files...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Code_V_83

Code_V_83

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 28 May 2015 - 01:40 PM

Ive Been Having This Problem For a Few Weeks now...Havent had the chance to Actually Sit down and try to address the Issue until Today...but i need to resolve this Issue As its Slowing up My Work and projects. Pretty Much What Happens is When I have a File that I want to send to the Recycle Bin (Delete)...Windows Explorer just Freezes and brings Up a Status Bar as If its Loading...But it never completes the Task because it just Sits there for a Really Long Time... :/

So Far...This is What Ive Done...

-Clean Boot in which i goto Msconfig and Adjust the settings to only Load system resources Upon Startup and such...and then Reboot the Computer...Ive done this Twice Already...and still the same thing..unable to Delete or Rename files..

-Ive Also tried to Startup Windows in Safe Mode and Try to Perform tasks as well and Still I was Unable to delete or Rename Files...

-Ive Ran a Virus Scan to see if it could be a potential Virus Issue...although i found 1 virus throughout my entire system...i was still unable to delete or rename files...

-I also tried the CMD prompt when trying to manually delete or make changes to a File and i was unsuccessful with that...

-I Ran a ScanDsk to cleanup my drive and also Defrag but still Nothing...

-I also Created a Seperate User Account with Admin Settings to see if I could Perform Tasks on that User Account and Perhaps the current account I use was corrupted...but i couldnt Rename or Delete Files in that Either...

I can Move The Files to Different Drives (Other than the Recycle bin) But i cant Delete them...and Its only Certain files that are like this...Im not sure if it is possibly an issue with the Registry or Some sort of Component Storage Corruption mumbo jumbo that ive been finding online Or what but If someone has a Fix For this..and Can help I would Appreciate it...thanks..

Edited by Code_V_83, 28 May 2015 - 01:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 29 May 2015 - 04:32 AM

For starters, try this free tool:  http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

Disable all of the non-Windows extensions, reboot and see if that helps.

If it does, re-enable ½ of them at a time to figure out where the problem lies.

Also, Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Code_V_83

Code_V_83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2015 - 01:15 PM

okay here is the Admin File....

I went to the Other Site and tried to Run "WHATISHANG" and It Gave me This Hang Report that Ive Attached As Well..Hopefully I used it Correctly...

Attached Files

Edited by Code_V_83, 29 May 2015 - 01:16 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2015 - 04:39 AM

Did you try the Shell Extension Viewer?  If so, what was the result?

The hang report is nice, but I can't find anything significant in it (I still have a few things to lookup, but am late for work)

I did find this report in the Admin log:

The driver has detected that device \Device\RaidPort1 has old or out-of-date firmware. Reduced performance may result.

This is for the LSI_SCSI device - so I'd suggest updating the firmware on that.
Most likely this will be available at the motherboard manufacturer's website - although you can also try the LSI website here:  http://www.lsi.com/support/pages/download-search.aspx

Edited by usasma, 30 May 2015 - 04:39 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Code_V_83

Code_V_83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2015 - 02:26 PM

Also I'd Like to Add that I Did run SHELLVIEW Today and Disabled The Non-Windows Extensions and Rebooted My Computer...But When I tried to Right Click and Delete a File From my Desktop Or Even Rename a File It Still Hangs Or It Just Freezes Entirely Upon Renaming a File. This Doesnt Seem to Happen With smaller Files as those Delete and Can Be Renamed Just Fine...Its Usually Larger Files Like Say .Wav Files Or that Particular Folder Containing Those .Wav Files...strange...I havent Checked Any Firmware Yet But Ill Make Sure to Do so as well..

#6 Code_V_83

Code_V_83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2015 - 04:02 PM

Also..Here is a Screenshot Of the ShellView Program With The Context Menus Disabled If you Wanted to take a Better Look at It...AFter all that I rebooted and Still Nothing.

Attached Files

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2015 - 05:02 AM

The other issues (hanging of explorer.exe) and Windows Update issues are likely significant here.
I'd suggest posting over in the Windows 7 forum with a subject concerning Windows Update failures.

The other issue that I noted was with your Search function.

I'd try fixing it using DISM, but would rather wait until you've received some help about the Windows Update failures.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users