Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7: Cant find cd/dvd drive??

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 jake21

jake21

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 28 May 2015 - 01:07 PM

Turned on computer and suddenly windows 7 cannot find my dvd drive. System is:

Compaq Presario CQ5700F

CD/DVD DRIVE is: TS-H653T SATA

Went to HP/Compaq website..downloaded driver SP51781.exe. Installed, rebooted. Still no recognition. Device manager shows CD/DVD, no yellow flags,etc. It says this message : Windows cannot cannot load the device driver.The driver may be corrupted or missing."

Returned to HP/COMPAQ site..and downloaded an updated driver..installed. Still no recognition?

Ideas on how to get this CD/DVD to be recognized?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,429 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 28 May 2015 - 01:23 PM

Believe it or not, I thought my onboard sound was gone for good; CTL-PNL --> Device Manager --> go to the CD-DVD device, remove it completely.  Restart or maybe even coldboot.  Should come back after some internal whirring and whatalls.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#3 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 03:32 PM

Thanks....guess it aint my lucky day....removed, rebooted, still no recognition. Here's the crazy thingy.....I can eject a DVD from device, BUT...still not recognized by computer. Crazy spooky ,eh? I went to the HP/COMPAQ website...and there's a whole long, long forum on people with same problem. Mysteriously losing  recognition of the drive. Tried all the options there, except a complicated registry modification...just a little above me. If ya thinks of anything....gimme a shout!!

Edited by jake21, 28 May 2015 - 04:01 PM.

#4 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 28 May 2015 - 05:15 PM

Hello jake21:

Restore your entire Windows 7 partition using the last known good full system back-up and post a reply with your results.

HTH :)

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,965 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 28 May 2015 - 06:10 PM

To clarify 1PW's #4 - you might be confused between 'Restore' and 'Full system back-up'.

I agree with him that, since this problem just started suddenly, a system restore is probably the way to go but this is significantly different from restoring a back-up - and considerably simpler !

Click 'Start - Control panel - Recovery' and follow the prompts. When you come to the screen that asks you to choose a restore point choose one that dates from before this problem started. If you need to there is a button 'More restore points'. Once you have picked one click 'Start restore', accept the warnings and then let your computer do its thing. It takes 5 - 10 minutes, then re-boot and see if your optical drive is back in the land of the visible.

If it isn't, post back.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2015 - 07:55 AM

Restored to a point last week. Still not recognized.........

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,429 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2015 - 09:51 AM

Did you try removing the device from CTL-PNL --> Device Manager --> DVD/CD-ROM drives?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#8 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2015 - 02:37 PM

Yes, I removed from computer. It is not shown in the device manager. I rebooted, and it is not there. DVD still has power, tray moves in and out, etc. If I can find a driver, I will try that. I was  hoping windows would find a" new" device connected and assign a letter and I would be home free. No such luck. Unit is

HP TS-H653T

Ideas?..and thanks again?

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,429 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2015 - 02:56 PM

drive's controller could be bad, is it possible to try another cd-dvd drive? 

#10 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2015 - 04:17 PM

Maybe that's the full life of this DVD/CD  unit. Might have to open the pocketbook and purchase a new drive. I've looked on the HP site, and everywhere else...cannot find the original driver for this DVD/CD unit....do you have a link to a driver that will work with this unit? Thanks again..

#11 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2015 - 09:39 AM

Purchased another dvd unit...installed. Same problem, will not recognize this one either? What should I check now...

#12 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,429 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2015 - 09:57 AM

Purchased another dvd unit...installed. Same problem, will not recognize this one either? What should I check now...

that's not good; possibly motherboard problem -- let's wait and see what others have to input before spending monies.

However, it is possible you received a bad dvd unit, can you exchange for another?

#13 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2015 - 11:55 AM

I pulled the new one,and replaced with a working unit from another computer....still no recognition. There was an article on the Microsoft website about this non recognition problem, it involved making an adjustment to the registry. Under the Systems tab on registry, I looked at the area to adjust, it notes that the problem is the ( upper/lower) notation..but...I did not see any such upper/lower noted on my registry.

Oh, tried an external, working dvd unit.on the usb connection. No recognition. Plugged in a Flash drive ( usb ) immediately recognized the Flash Drive. Crazy...this computer...no like dvd drives.

Thanks for you help....hoping someone see's something to do....getting lonely without a dvd drive.

#14 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 04 June 2015 - 01:35 PM

Hello jake21:

If you have access to any bootable CD/DVD(s), try to boot up from that type of media.

The computer's Microsoft Windows install media, LiveCD or a LiveDVD would make fine choices.

That might eliminate your present OS but not your BIOS nor some hardware.

HTH :)

Edited by 1PW, 04 June 2015 - 01:39 PM.

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#15 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2015 - 02:24 PM

Can we get a speccy of your system please?  Did you install or uninstall any software recently like daemon tools?

You can try the Microsoft fixit trouble shooter for cd/dvd drives in windows 7

How to speccy

If you have installed any software intended to circumvent cd/dvd copy protection schemes (I am not saying you did) than these have a tendancy to break cd/dvd drivers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users