Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My little bit.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 derek_zen

derek_zen

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 28 May 2015 - 04:48 AM

Hi.... 

My name is Derek and I am a Zen practitioner - that is, I practice zazen, a form of Zen meditation.  I have just gone into semi-retirement as a hypnotherapist, but Zen practice is a lifestyle more than an occupation and I run a website that offers advice and guidance on those interested in Zen.  But more to the point, I have always had a great interest in computers and have owned one for many years - my first was a Commodore Amiga without hard drive.. Now I am currently running a bespoke desktop machine running Windows 7 64 bit and an old Sony Vaio, just upgraded to use Windows 8.1 

I have visited bleepingcomputer.com many times over the years and got some great advice and fixed many problems but only today realized that I could actually become a member. So here I am looking forwards to understanding more...  

Derek

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 28 May 2015 - 02:58 PM

Hello Derek, Welcome to the forum. I enjoyed your introduction, Zen interests me from a philosophical perspective. I to am learning about computers, and I would like to learn more about Zen. I would love to write a book called Zen And The Art Of Personal Computers.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 derek_zen

derek_zen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 29 May 2015 - 03:04 AM

Hi Rocky, 

Thanks for responding.   A book I can recommend on Zen if you want to learn its practises and disciplines is The Three Pillars of Zen by Roshi Phillip Kapleau.  It is quite old now, but availiable (last time I checked) on Amazon.  It contains full instructions for zazen (a Zen meditation that helps with mindfulness), and then lots of anecdotes experiences of enlightenment by those who have sat zazen (in sesshin) in Zen monasteries that in themselves I found very inspiring.  To this day, I still go back to reading it from time to time.  Yes, Zen can be applied to anything in life even computers, so write your book!  :-)

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 29 May 2015 - 10:07 AM

Thank you very much for that recommendation. My favourite book right now on Zen is An Introduction To Zen Buddhism by D. T. Suzuki. I have read a couple of book by Suzuki and I like his writings. Thanks again.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users