Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer's fan goes really fast before shutting off

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 CaptainBoj

CaptainBoj

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 28 May 2015 - 01:41 AM

My fiancee's computer has started having a problem where if she tries to play certain games, her computer's fan will go incredibly fast and then it will just switch off as if overheating.

It didn't have any problems with games before now. Even games that aren't that graphically intensive like Garrysmod.

Thinking it was a thermal paste problem, ordered some more, replaced the old stuff and also blew out heaps of dust from inside all the parts.

We turned it on and it sounded like the fans where a lot clearer than before but still, the problem persisted.

The fans are definitely working because freezing cold air blows out of the vent.

Can anyone help us?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Citizen_WD

Citizen_WD

Authorized Western Digital Rep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 28 May 2015 - 07:31 AM

Hello CaptainBoj, 

First of all - have you checked what are the temperatures of the CPU and GPU while the PC is under load (or with a benchmark program)? You can also monitor the RPM of the fans via special software to determine if it's just a loud noise, or actually high rpms. Also, does the PC shut down after the fast spinning or is just the fan ? You can try replacing the cooling fan or mount an additional heatsink, but if it temperatures are higher than normal, any other one will act that way. That's about it, keep me posted and I'll try to figure out further solutions.  

Best regards, Citizen_WD

#3 CaptainBoj

CaptainBoj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 08:29 AM

What's a good program to use to check all this?

#4 Citizen_WD

Citizen_WD

Authorized Western Digital Rep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 29 May 2015 - 03:04 AM

Hi again, 

If you have a newer model computer, you can check the core temperature in BIOS, in other cases that's not possible and you will have to download a third-party software for this. I'm sorry I cannot recommend a particular one but a quick google search will give you the best ones out there. If it's not an overheat issue many motherboards have fan control built-in to the BIOS settings. Open up  BIOS and search for the fan settings. They're called all sorts of different things (for example, Asus has "Q-Fan Control", while Gigabyte has "Smart Fan Control"), but generally you should be able to find it under one of the BIOS menus. Enable this feature, and set a RPM limit. But keep in mind that this may cause overheating problems, even if there aren't any at the moment. I'm just saying what your options are, the responsibility is yours. 

Best regards, Citizen_WD

#5 CaptainBoj

CaptainBoj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2015 - 02:42 AM

Ah, the GPU is at 62-65°C when not doing anything.

We used a different program before which said it was around 40 so I guess it wasn't measuring it right.

How do i check if all the fans are working right.

Edited by CaptainBoj, 31 May 2015 - 02:43 AM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 31 May 2015 - 12:48 PM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 CaptainBoj

CaptainBoj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 03:30 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/v8frby2G7ST6IExtRyskkhw

I'm not sure what happened but here it is

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 10:26 AM

Please redo the Speccy, there were no results in the first attempt.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 05 June 2015 - 01:18 PM

My fiancee's computer has started having a problem where if she tries to play certain games, her computer's fan will go incredibly fast and then it will just switch off as if overheating.

Are you still experiencing this issue with the computer switching off without choosing it to do so?

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#10 CaptainBoj

CaptainBoj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2015 - 11:39 PM

Are you still experiencing this issue with the computer switching off without choosing it to do so?

Bruce.

Yes, it's still happening

Please redo the Speccy, there were no results in the first attempt.

It's just doing the same thing again.

Edited by CaptainBoj, 06 June 2015 - 11:41 PM.

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 01:52 AM

Okay, that means you can not run the Speccy screen shot because your system is shutting down before it can produce the full report.

What we have to do is get your computer to a state where it does not shut down anymore.

My first suggestion is your computer may be in need of some house cleaning and this can be done by buying a can of compressed air, that is used for blowing out electronic devices that commonly suffer from dust accumulation.

Now since your Speccy report was mostly blank, it did not record your system's specifications, therefore it is unknown if this is a laptop or desktop.

Please, try to provide as much information as possible, so we know what we are working with here.

Make and model number would be great, if this is a home brewed system, please tell us who the motherboard was made by and what the model number of it is, please include any letters or numbers as those are important for proper identification of your computer system's inner workings.

Once I have a better idea what type of computer you have, I can better recommend and include precise instructions for you to follow.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 07 June 2015 - 01:53 AM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#12 CaptainBoj

CaptainBoj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 08:03 AM

No, it's still on when I open speccy.

As I said in the first post, we cleaned out the dust inside it and it is a desktop.

It's a prebuilt Acer Predator G5910.

We may have replaced the graphics card but we can't really remember.

Edited by CaptainBoj, 07 June 2015 - 08:04 AM.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 09:52 AM

This computer has a recovery partition which can be used to set the operating system back to the condition it came out of the box.  If you have all of your important data backed up may wish to consider this option to make the repair.

By doing this, you need to be aware that this will remove all of the non-Windows programs you have downloaded or installed from a disc.  You will lose all of the information in your browser and email client, pictures, documents, etc.

There is a video which should be able to be used to do the system recovery.

https://youtu.be/pmVT0Z9r6_Q

#14 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 05:53 PM

Okay, is this issue still continuing to happen, with the cooling fans speeding up and then resulting in the system shutting down?. Or is it running more stable now?

As I said in the first post, we cleaned out the dust inside it and it is a desktop.

It's a prebuilt Acer Predator G5910.

Thanks, we now know that this is a desktop computer.

I am trying to determine if your motherboard may have experienced any component damage from overheating.

A faulty PSU can cause issues as well, but not a case of overheating.

It is not uncommon for a cooling fan or two to speed up when playing graphic intensive games. The graphics card's cooling fan can speed up as well.

You mentioned in a previous post that your GPU was showing a temperature of 62 to 65 Celsius, that is 149 degrees Fahrenheit! Your second reading was 40 degrees Celsius, which is 104 degrees Fahrenheit.

Are you still getting those same temperature readings? What two programs did you use to get those two different readings?

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 07 June 2015 - 05:55 PM.

#15 CaptainBoj

CaptainBoj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 03:44 AM

Speedfan says that the GPU is at 62 degrees and realtemp says that it's 40 degrees but it doesn't say what it is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users