Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is My Computer Starting Fast Or Slow?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 unloaded

unloaded

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 06 July 2006 - 02:50 AM

From the moment I press the button until my windows xp pro is fully loaded and ready, it took my computer one minute and 52 seconds, is that fast or slow?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 06 July 2006 - 06:58 AM

It depends on what is starting up along with Windows. If you want a bunch of programs starting, then it is going to take a while. But if you are asking how to start your computer faster, then we can investigate a few things, such as what programs are starting, as well as your system stats to see if they can be improved. Another thing that can slow down a computer is a virus or other malware infection (but this is sort of related to what I said first regarding programs starting, just that it is possible that some are malicious and unwanted).

Do you care to investigate further?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 06 July 2006 - 06:58 AM

Well I think that it all depends on your computer capabilities before we can say whether that is fast or slow. If you have a slow processor (1.4ghz) and minimal RAM (256mbs) that is a pretty fast startup, but on the other hand if you have a 3ghz processor and lots of RAM (1gb+). It would be easier for me to analyse your startup time if you posted your basic system specifications, such as the amount of RAM you have on your computer, your processor speed etc. The time between when you turn the computer on and the login screen cannot really be changed and if all down to your computer's hardware. However, from the time you login to the the time the computer is loaded and ready can be changed. I find that this is what many computer users underestimate and do not change - My startup list consists of the bare minimum and I find that this speeds up my startup time a lot. For example, I only hae my anti-virus processes and the software for my modem. Programs like Windows Messenger, or updaters for programs like Java and RealPlayer and not needed by any means and can all be started manually; it is a similar case for resource hogs such as Quicktime, Microsoft office etc... Go to start, then click on run, then type "msconfig". Click on the far right tab, titled "startup". Look at the entries which are listed - to stop an entry from loading at startup you have to remove its tick - to force a program to startup at boot just put a tick in. You can look up the various programs on BC's startup database, you can find the link at the top of every page called the "startup list". This will tell you whether a program is necessary at startup, and whether it is malicious or not.

Have a read of the following tutorial if you are unhappy with your startup time:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44694/slow-computer/

Let me know how it goes,
David

#4 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:12 AM

I'm happy of my computer, its just that I wanna know the average starting up time for most computers. My computer: AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 3000+ , 2.00GHz, 2.50GB of RAM, Windows xp professional SP2, and I have norton antivirus 2006, secure clean,skype on startup list.
I don't think my computer has any viruses or malware at the moment, i think its starting slow because of norton.
BTW, I was just asking for opinions, I'm not trying to make my computer faster, its oready working fine.
Therefore is 1min 52 secs starting up time for my system, slow or ok?

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:19 AM

Well, if it helps any, my computer starts up in 45 seconds. I think it is pretty well tuned, in terms of not having programs start that don't need to. I am also using AVG anti virus and not Norton.

I think you are correct that Norton takes a long time to start. It will definetly slow down the process. If I am not mistaken, the version you have actually does a scan when started and this takes time.

Another reason why computers can take a while to start is extra programs starting that don't need to. There are even little parts of programs that can be running that you might not be aware of, these are often used to 'call home' to their creators and look for product updates. For instance, HP software does this, Kodak does, Adobe does, etc. You can disable these little programs and perhaps pick up a couple of seconds of start up time by going to msconfig as per D-Trojanator's post.

EDIT: And my laptop takes 40 seconds, but has no antivirus on it.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 06 July 2006 - 09:21 AM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#6 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:26 AM

yeah just as I thought, when I've uninstalled norton, it took me only 47.8secs to load, and I've got 56GB of stuff in my (c:)disk, I reckon its not so bad apart from norton.

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 06 July 2006 - 10:07 AM

Check to see what user options you have checked in the Norton Antivirus; if there is an option to have it scan your computer, for example, on boot, then you could kill it, and still keep Norton real-time protection going.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:58 PM

ok

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users