Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is slowing things down? Memory tests OK, but things are slower, etc.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 badfinger54

badfinger54

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 28 May 2015 - 12:44 AM

I have run Exact Audio Copy just fine for years. A week ago it crashed my PC. I ran SlimDrivers and updated a driver, but no help. I tried System Restore, but it failed.

I downloaded the newest version of EAC, still crashes when trying to open. I eventually uninstalled it, installed a newer version, same result.

I run Windows 7:

windows version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 6.1, build: 7601
windows dir: C:\Windows
Hardware: HP Pavilion P6000 Series , Hewlett-Packard, FOXCONN, 2A92 
CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD Athlon™ II X4 630 Processor AMD586, level: 16
4 logical processors, active mask: 15
RAM: 4018032640 total

I also downloaded WhoCrashed after looking at a similar thread online. I saved the last Windows error message. 

The message was:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 76
BCP1: 0000000000000000
BCP2: FFFFFA8003AEFB10
BCP3: 0000000000000001
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\051615-90527-01.dmp
C:\Users\Doug\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-101868-0.sysdata.xml

Looks like the three listed on CrashDump report are the same, so here is one:

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Sat 5/16/2015 4:57:38 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\051615-93101-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x748C0) 
Bugcheck code: 0x76 (0x0, 0xFFFFFA800403B6E0, 0x1, 0x0)
Error: PROCESS_HAS_LOCKED_PAGES
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a driver failed to release locked pages after an I/O operation, or that it attempted to unlock pages that were already unlocked.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time. 

I have tried System Restore two times before trying various malware/virus programs and it failed both times with the same 'squiggly'/compressed/jagged color look when it happened with EAC.
And scheduled backup made it through once since then (supposed to be twice weekly). Scans that were normally pretty quick take much longer. 

I have run MemTest86 and it found no errors. I have run the Windows Memory Diagnostic several times. I opened up the PC and cleaned the dust out and cleaned the fans. I have had to do that before and thought maybe that would help cure it. It runs much much quieter now. Have run MalwareBytes Anti-Malware multiple times and scanned with my AVG and others. The only thing one found was 'YouTube AdBlocker.'

System Restore has no recent points remaining that would be worthwhile, as the older two are over a year ago.  I can't really do much in Photoshop now due to the slow response/hanging. I have deleted the other software I tried so I wouldn't clutter things up more. My hard drive is now about only half full. I have an external one also.

I need to manually back up one last big folder to make sure it is REALLY current. I changed the Visual Effects settings (adjust for better performance) based on a response to someone else with a similar problem and it speeds things up, but can't see/preview some things that way and would never want to keep it that way.

The PC is probably near 5 years old and I had to replace a failed hard drive maybe 3 years ago or so. Folks I asked for advice recently who know more about computers say I may just need to buy a new one or it could be the motherboard or other things.

Windows (START) search pretty much does not kick in now. Failed trying to update the BIOS (via HP). From some monitoring it looks like I have 'high avg interrupts/processor'. I was hoping to avoid a reinstall or a new PC, but I realize that may be wishful thinking. I'm no computer whiz, but cloned the last hard drive and replaced it and have upgraded memory on an older PC.

HP Pavilion 6510f

I did run AdwCleaner tonight and cleaned what it found. Things slowed down a LOT while trying to check out Belarc Advisor (for PC info) and run PERFMON. I just wanted to post what I have so far to see if I am wasting my/our time in case you think my PC is too old (my baby!!!).  Now that I have my first 'normal' job in 30 years (I had worked at home) I sure can't devote as much time to trying different things to solve computer problems while still getting some work done. Thank you.

Attached Files

Edited by badfinger54, 28 May 2015 - 12:48 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 28 May 2015 - 02:42 AM

Hi. . .

You mentioned a BSOD with bugcheck 0x76, but I don't see any mini kernel memory dump files in the attached zip. Did you run an app similar to CCleaner that may have deleted the dumps?

Systeminfo output shows Windows 7 installed (or system 1st boot) in October 2010:

Original Install Date: 10/20/2010, 12:53:02 PM

It also shows 403 Windows Updates installed.

I went through the Event Viewer logs and found 13 BSODs listed. The first one I saw - bugcheck 0xc4 - Driver Verifier/ VERIFIER_ENABLED -

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Event[2095]:
  Log Name: System
  Source: Microsoft-Windows-WER-SystemErrorReporting
  Date: 2015-05-21T07:28:49.000
  Level: Error
  Description: 
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  
The bugcheck was: 0x000000c4 (0x0000000000000083, 0x0000000018dbfc90, 0x0000000000000008, 0x0000000000118dbf). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\Minidump\052115-116735-01.dmp. Report Id: 052115-116735-01.
[/font]
If you have these dumps or any info from tem, please post it. If Driver Verifier named a 3rd party driver, it needs to be updated. If Driver Verifier named a Microsoft Windows OS driver, "unknown hardware failure" is the likely cause.

What exactly happened when you ran the BIOS update that failed?  Was there any additional info besides "BIOS update failed" (or similar)?

Is this the BIOS update you attempted? File sp49851.exe from May 2013?

Spoiler

H-RS880-uATX Motherboard BIOS Update
Version:6.09May 09, 2013
Email 64-bit details

HP's Terms of Use
1.7 MB
May 9, 2013
Download

HP's Terms of Use
Details

Details
H-RS880-uATX Motherboard BIOS update resolves an issue with resuming from sleep mode on systems configured with 4GB or more of memory.
File name: sp49851.exe

Release details
Released: May 8, 2013
Version 6.09

Fix and enhancements

• Resolves an issue with resuming from sleep mode on systems configured with 4GB or more of memory.
  • Switches certain BIOS settings from "Enabled" to "Disabled" to protect against undesired changes.
  • Installs HP Vision Diagnostic tool, accessible by pressing F9 during the BIOS startup screen.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Pavilion-p6000-Desktop-PC-series/4162263/model/4215698

No doubt that a BIOS update failure could be signaling something very serious occurring in your system.

I see you tested RAM, but I didn't see the hard drive mentioned.

Run SeaTools for DOS, LONG test - http://www.sysnative.com/forums/hardware-tutorials/4072-hard-drive-hdd-diagnostics.html

Please download & install the free version of Speccy - https://www.piriform.com/speccy/download

Be sure to watch out for additional, unnecessary and unrelated apps trying to be installed during installation. Simply un-check the boxes for them so they won't install.

Run Speccy, "File", "Publish Snapshot" - copy the URL and paste it in to your next post.

Download SysInternals AutoRuns from Microsoft TechNet - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902

Extract the EXE file to Desktop or Documents (nothing to install; it's a stand-alone executable); RIGHT-click on autoruns.exe; "Run as Administrator"; allow it to scan the registry -- status located bottom-left of AutoRuns screen (few minutes tops); "File"; "Save As"; Save as an ARN file (default file extension)

Please zip the ARN file up & attach to your next post.

I doubt these new files will show us much more than you have already provided, but it's worth at least a cursory look.

IMHO, 5 years is a very long time to go without reinstalling Windows. I would recommend that you start backing up your files in preparation for a Windows reinstall. A fresh install could end up breathing new life in your system &/or it may help figure out if hardware failure is in fact the cause of your BSODs.

If a fresh Windows install BSODs before you've had a chance to install anything else, it is extremely likely that hardware failure is at fault.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015

#3 badfinger54

badfinger54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2015 - 11:30 AM

That was the BIOS update I tried. It also did the BSOD and gave an error message. I thought it looked like it was going to succeed based on how things were progressing, but no such luck (I thought it had 'made it' through). I made a "DDS" report for the SpyWare Beware! site (they sent me here). It may show you some things. 

I saved (or one of the programs I was told to run) saved an Error Report to the Desktop. I will attach it and the DDS report.

I did run CCleaner and other programs. I finally started un-checking the Memory Dump box (they had it on by default).

I do wonder if the AMD update is doing something funky. That was one of the driver updates. The things in bold are some of the 'Programs Installed'

AMD Accelerated Video Transcoding
AMD APP SDK Runtime
AMD Catalyst Control Center
AMD Catalyst Install Manager
AMD Drag and Drop Transcoding
AMD Fuel
AMD Media Foundation Decoders
AMD USB Filter Driver
AOMEI Backupper Standard Edition 2.0.2
Apple Application Support
Apple Software Update
Audacity 2.0.5
Audio DVD Creator 1.9.1.0
AVG 2015
Belarc Advisor 8.1
Brother MFL-Pro Suite MFC-6490CW
Catalyst Control Center - Branding
Catalyst Control Center Graphics Previews Common
Catalyst Control Center InstallProxy
Catalyst Control Center Localization All

Of course, I checked for driver updates because I was already having the BSOD from EAC. I will do my best to get to some of the other things to run today.

Attached Files

#4 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2015 - 02:26 PM

ATI are among the worst drivers written in history, IMO.  I see one Intel video driver for every 1,000 ATI drivers named in BSODs.

Could you please provide the files I asked for in my last post?

Thank you.

jcgriff2

p.s.  Not sure what to say about the failed BIOS update other than you're lucky that the system didn't get bricked.

Not like HP to put out a BIOS update that doesn't work; however, the reason for such may obviously be a problem in your system.

Edited by jcgriff2, 30 May 2015 - 02:27 PM.

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015

#5 badfinger54

badfinger54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2015 - 07:38 PM

Got my Downloads folder backed up now. Opened Speccy and it caused a BSOD:

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
  OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
  Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
  BCCode: c4
  BCP1: 00000000000000F6
  BCP2: 00000000000004A0
  BCP3: FFFFFA8004F05B10
  BCP4: FFFFF880092735B9
  OS Version: 6_1_7601
  Service Pack: 1_0
  Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
  C:\Windows\Minidump\053015-84193-01.dmp
  C:\Users\Doug\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-124863-0.sysdata.xml

I attached what I could of a screen capture from BlueScreenView of the most important .dmp info and their HTML report.

And the PERFMON report I did earlier today is attached. This is probably all I can do for tonight.

My son works for HP in Houston (we live about 90 minutes away). Might get him to check on what kind of a deal he can get on a new PC, though I am sure not 'married' to HP products.

Attached Files

#6 badfinger54

badfinger54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 05:32 PM

Here after all of this it may just be a bad stick of RAM. My nephew gave me some helpful advice and I'm sure some of you had already mentioned it. I finally switched the order of the RAM and it would not start up. I started with just the one I figured was good and it booted and acts the same. Now I'll try once more with the apparent bad one.

I guess if I had more computer experience it would have been more obvious. My brother-in-law was so busy and stressed, but both of my nephews gave me the same advice ("sounds like memory"). I guess since MEMTEST86 found no errors that fooled me. If this test did not work it was going to be reinstall Windows time. Turns out our new pharmacy tech at work is a computer geek, too. But, I did not want to get us in trouble by talking about it too much while he was working.

UPDATE: It worked and started the same now with that one stick. Still won't do System Restore with both sticks moved to the other two slots. Looks like I'm left with reinstalling Windows this week since I need to know if I will buy a new PC (have been researching).

Edited by badfinger54, 08 June 2015 - 07:51 AM.

#7 badfinger54

badfinger54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2015 - 08:24 PM

MAYBE I have solved the PC problem. I hate to get my hopes up too much. I did a 'non-destructive' Windows 7 repair that seems to be OK so far. But, it still has to download lots of Windows updates. This was the last thing I could try before just trying a clean reinstall. Took almost a day (I left it running).

IF it works out I will also add some memory (two more sticks of RAM). I was getting so sick of research and then eBay had a two day 8X eBay Bucks offer that ended yesterday, etc. Best Buy offers some of the same sales on eBay as in the store, but it is Office Depot with the sale (the regular store would match the price). That ends tomorrow. Supposedly you pay no tax if you order thru eBay (and pick up at the store).

Been running the display at a lower setting to speed things up, but it was still too draggy to really do Photoshop effectively. I figured I had about a 5-10% chance of this working. Switched the display settings back to how they were and it isn't dragging (knock wood). It was easier trying to solve PC problems when I worked at home and could work while scans ran, etc.

#8 badfinger54

badfinger54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2015 - 08:13 AM

Here is what helped me:

https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructive-reinstall-of-windows-7.html

And then finally this also was a big help:

http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html

Wanted to post them in case someone else was having the same trouble (or in case I have a similar problem later and forget what I used!). Thanks to anyone who tried to help me!!

#9 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 02:46 PM

Sorry for the late reply -- glad to see that you have resolved this.

John

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users