Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Block SPAM / SPAMMERS a fair topic for bleepingcomputers ??

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 SAILOR0316

SAILOR0316

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 27 May 2015 - 11:14 PM

Staff/Members:

A probable spammer, maybe more than one has gotten my address and is sending an increasing number of ads / SPAM from say Fat Burner [paulinahayzeldetttt@yahoo.com] which I don't know how to find an address to block.  All come from yahoo.com.  I thought yahoo had some kind of program to block or eliminate these emails.  He/she has my address so I am concerned and want to know to block his/her emails, protect my computer.  Is there some way such as finding an IPO and then blocking that IPO?  I know there a number of commercial programs, but don't know which ones you can trust.

I'ld like to learn if you could step me through a process, I would be very grateful.  Thanks in advance

SAILOR0316

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 SAILOR0316

SAILOR0316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 06:34 PM

By count the topic has had 181 views in almost a week so seems to me that 180 people had enough interest to see what the question was about spammers was and I quess that answers another side of the question in "is this a valid question for bleepingcomputer" or not so apparently not.  I've had help from bleeping computer perhaps 7-8 times over the years, but have never been ignored nor even so much as to say not the kind of question or concern bleepingcomputer addresses.  What a disappointment, thought someone would have at least had the courtesy to say we're too busy with ransomware or whatever, to say, not now or try somewhere else

SAILOR0316

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,198 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2015 - 05:30 AM

Hi SAILOR0316 :)

Keep in mind that BleepingComputer relies on the help of volunteers, they are the ones who answers the questions and help solve the issues. However, never it is said that a member here knows everything on anything. Maybe no one knows the answer to your question sadly and that's why no one answered. If you ask me, there would be no point in posting "I don't know how, sorry" in your thread if someone doesn't know the answer.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 White Hat Mike

White Hat Mike

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 03 June 2015 - 12:33 PM

By count the topic has had 181 views in almost a week so seems to me that 180 people had enough interest to see what the question was about spammers was and I quess that answers another side of the question in "is this a valid question for bleepingcomputer" or not so apparently not.  I've had help from bleeping computer perhaps 7-8 times over the years, but have never been ignored nor even so much as to say not the kind of question or concern bleepingcomputer addresses.  What a disappointment, thought someone would have at least had the courtesy to say we're too busy with ransomware or whatever, to say, not now or try somewhere else

SAILOR0316

Perhaps it's because your initial post is extremely difficult for some of us to comprehend.

Information Security Engineer | Penetration Tester | Forensic Analyst

CipherTechs.com

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,198 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2015 - 12:37 PM

To go thought the door that Mike opened, what is a IPO exactly? Or was it a typo and you meant IP, for IP address?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 03 June 2015 - 12:42 PM

FWIW: views can be from non registered members who cannot reply. So the argument of 181 views and all chose not to answer isn't completely valid.

As of right this minute 11896 users are online (in the past 60 minutes)
126 members, 11768 guests, 2 anonymous users

Tell me with that sampling how many of the 181 views you had, were able to actually reply. Then count how many out of that knew the answer but ignored you on purpose.

For the record. I don't have an answer to your excellent question either.

I just felt you deserved an explanation of views vs replies and lack of replies and how that's possible.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 SAILOR0316

SAILOR0316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2015 - 06:53 PM

My thanks to "Animal" for his reply

And his statistics are about impossible to argue with.  The "statistics" and they are not statistics, but rough "measures" I have erroneously used, but I used them anyhow, and in taking the first three replies or topics as examples, TODAY, 630p CDT 13 replies, 162 views; 1 reply, 59 views and 2 replies, 102 views so when the number of views got to 181 I do admit I probably over reacted with no replies other than my own.  The IPO was a typo, should have been IP address, but I still think it is a valid question.  In TODAY alone, I've had three unsolicited offers of sales items or services, all from   @yahoo.com   and was asking how to find them, block them.  Must have had 20 or more since I first raised the question.   So my apologizes for showing some temper even rudeness, but I'm just very frustrated by this spam thing that I cannot get a handle on.

SAILOR0316

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,198 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2015 - 08:19 PM

You cannot block emails based on their IP, unless you have a dedicated web mail server I guess. If you use a web-based email provider like Yahoo!, you'll have to rely on blocking the senders (or marking them as spam) one by one.

unite_blue.png

#9 White Hat Mike

White Hat Mike

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 09 June 2015 - 08:39 PM

My thanks to "Animal" for his reply

And his statistics are about impossible to argue with.  The "statistics" and they are not statistics, but rough "measures" I have erroneously used, but I used them anyhow, and in taking the first three replies or topics as examples, TODAY, 630p CDT 13 replies, 162 views; 1 reply, 59 views and 2 replies, 102 views so when the number of views got to 181 I do admit I probably over reacted with no replies other than my own.  The IPO was a typo, should have been IP address, but I still think it is a valid question.  In TODAY alone, I've had three unsolicited offers of sales items or services, all from   @yahoo.com   and was asking how to find them, block them.  Must have had 20 or more since I first raised the question.   So my apologizes for showing some temper even rudeness, but I'm just very frustrated by this spam thing that I cannot get a handle on.

SAILOR0316

What e-mail client are you using?  Are you hosting your own e-mail (i.e. Exchange) server?  Corporate network, or personal/home (office) network?

Information Security Engineer | Penetration Tester | Forensic Analyst

CipherTechs.com

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,592 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2015 - 08:46 PM

Im drowning in spam. What can I do?
Tips on avoiding junk e-mail (spam)
Youve Got Spam: How to "Can" Unwanted Email

Yahoo Help: Getting Started With SpamGuard
Yahoo Help: Training the SpamGuard Filter
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#11 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 09 June 2015 - 08:55 PM

At the command prompt.

ping smtp.gmail.com
nslookup -type=mx smtp.gmail.com

ping smtp.mail.yahoo.com
nslookup -type=mx smtp.mail.yahoo.com
Just Google: blocking email by ip address

Block IPs from sending you email. http://www.inmotionhosting.com/support/email/fighting-spam/block-ips-from-sending-you-email
Blacklist Check. http://whatismyipaddress.com/blacklist-check
IP address in blocked senders list. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/oemail-osend/ip-address-in-blocked-senders-list/8e44bf30-2766-45ef-92d4-5b1fcc011bcc

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

#12 SAILOR0316

SAILOR0316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2015 - 09:30 PM

Thanks ALL !!   Aura.  ,White Hat Mike, quietman7 and Crazy Cat

Collectively you've given me some things to look at and try.  I appreciate all of you taking time and offering your expertise and experience.  I am an engineer and this is for a home office.  I will report back when I've had time to look at all you have suggested.

SAILOR0316

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,198 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2015 - 09:33 PM

No problem Sailor, let us know how it goes, good luck :)

unite_blue.png

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,592 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2015 - 09:35 PM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users