Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba laptop A305-S6872 No Power at all

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Papatuzz

Papatuzz

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 27 May 2015 - 07:55 PM

This is my first post so please forgive any information I forget to give. One of my customers let me have this laptop. It was working but needed a keyboard so we replaced that. A couple of months later his power cord went bad so he replaced that. Shortly adter that he brought it to me and said to remove his information from the hard drive and he bought a new laptop. It's a Toshiba Satelite A305-S6872 with 3 GB of RAM and was running Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit. Here's the rest:

With the battery and A/C Plug in there's no power. No lights light up. The fan doesn't spin when you press the power button. Nothing...no power what-so-ever. As I said, the A/C charger is new. I've tested it and it's putting out the proper voltage. I've tested the motherboard side of the power jack and it's fine there. I replaced the power button because it was very cheap and it didn'y help.

The lights are on the palm rest so everytime I disconnect a cable to see if that part may be the problem, I have to put the palmrest back on and connect the 3 connectors on it. One is the power button. One is the touch pad. And I'm thinking the 3rd one is for the lights. I've tried pressing the power button for 30 seconds without power to the laptop but that didn't do anything. Leaving the front right USB port connector off didn't do anything either. I haven't tried leaving the monitor disconnected. There's all kinds of little connectors and I'm not sure what some of them are for. Is it possible that a bad video inverter would cause a laptop to get no power?

If I at least had a power light I might be able to get this thing working. I'm about to give up and use the aptop for parts, but it's not a bad laptop and would like to get it running if at all possible. Any help any of you could give will be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lunathecat

Lunathecat

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 09:00 PM

Toshiba laptops are notorious for having issues with the solder connections of the power plug to the PC board. Check the solder connections on the board. If one is broken or loose the machine won't get power and the battery will not charge.

#3 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,525 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2015 - 01:30 PM

Is it possible that a bad video inverter would cause a laptop to get no power?

No.

With the battery and A/C Plug in there's no power. 

Have you already tried powering it on without the battery plugged in? A faulty battery can cause this.

#4 Papatuzz

Papatuzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2015 - 09:32 PM

Toshiba laptops are notorious for having issues with the solder connections of the power plug to the PC board. Check the solder connections on the board. If one is broken or loose the machine won't get power and the battery will not charge.

I thought maybe there was something up with that so I reflowed the motherboard. It has one of those 3 volt batteries that's soldered to the motherboard so I desoldered that, did the reflow and soldered the battery back on. It didn't help.

#5 Papatuzz

Papatuzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2015 - 09:33 PM

Is it possible that a bad video inverter would cause a laptop to get no power?

No.

With the battery and A/C Plug in there's no power. 

Have you already tried powering it on without the battery plugged in? A faulty battery can cause this.

Yes. I tried it both with and without the battery. I'm beginning to think the motherboard is toast. That would be disappointing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users