Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Boot Computer

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 aRoomInAhti

aRoomInAhti

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 27 May 2015 - 06:52 PM

So yesterday I was playing a computer game on my Lenovo G505s. Meanwhile, my brother was pissing me off so much that I slammed my hands down in frustration onto my laptop (I'm not blaming him for this). Soon after, my game froze, and I couldn't get it back going, so I forced my laptop to shut down. Problem was, after that it would never boot, as it said it couldn't detect a bootable device, so I opened it up and found a little water in it. I cleaned it out and tried again. This time it said it failed to boot into windows booting system or something like that and couldn't launch Lenovo Recover System. I opened it up again and rest ears the hard drive. Now, half he time, it straight out won't boot and stays on the Lenovo logo. The other half of the time, it shows the Lenovo logo and beneath it "Preparing Automatic Repair." Soon after, I get this message:

Your PC couldn't start properly.

A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed.

Error code: 0x0000185

You'll need a recovery device blah blah blah blah blah whatever.

Basically I can't boot no matter what. I checked my BIOS and my hard drive has definitely been detected. What should I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ring 0

ring 0

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 07:43 PM

Your hard drive is dead, as 0x0000185 is an I/O error.

>>A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed.

This is talking about your hard disk, and that's why Windows won't boot.

I checked my BIOS and my hard drive has definitely been detected.

Doesn't mean it's not dead.

#3 aRoomInAhti

aRoomInAhti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 09:16 PM

Your hard drive is dead, as 0x0000185 is an I/O error.

>>A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed.

This is talking about your hard disk, and that's why Windows won't boot.

I checked my BIOS and my hard drive has definitely been detected.

Doesn't mean it's not dead.

Shoot. This computer is only a year and 2.5 months old though. Is it dead, or can it be corrupted/damaged? And in which of these cases, if any, can I recover my data?

#4 PanickyD

PanickyD

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 27 May 2015 - 09:53 PM

I'm no expert, but here's my two cents worth...

I opened it up again and rest ears the hard drive.

I think you meant to say "reseated the hard drive". If you didn't do this, I would recommend doing so. Take the drive out of the laptop for a few minutes before reinstalling to ensure full electrical discharge. Reinstall the drive and try again. If this results in the same condition, try connecting the drive to a different computer through a USB adapter to see if it can be read at all. Don't hold your breath though, as the I/O error has likely spelled it's doom. if you're lucky, and you can somewhat access the drive, try some data recovery software like the free Recuva to see what can be saved. If you're REAL lucky, you might be able to read the drive outright and be able to recover the files yourself through Explorer. Good Luck!!

After the game, the King and the Pawn go into the same box...

#5 aRoomInAhti

aRoomInAhti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 02:43 PM

I'm no expert, but here's my two cents worth...

I opened it up again and rest ears the hard drive.

I think you meant to say "reseated the hard drive". If you didn't do this, I would recommend doing so. Take the drive out of the laptop for a few minutes before reinstalling to ensure full electrical discharge. Reinstall the drive and try again. If this results in the same condition, try connecting the drive to a different computer through a USB adapter to see if it can be read at all. Don't hold your breath though, as the I/O error has likely spelled it's doom. if you're lucky, and you can somewhat access the drive, try some data recovery software like the free Recuva to see what can be saved. If you're REAL lucky, you might be able to read the drive outright and be able to recover the files yourself through Explorer. Good Luck!!
Okay, so I reseated the hard drive and looked on a couple of websites for some help on this. One recommended to listen to the hard drive. I did so while I booted my computer, and I noticed that there seems to be a whirring sound coming from the hard drive! I took out the hard drive and tried again, but there was no sound. This means the hard drive is dead, but not totally dead I suppose. I could be wrong that this means anything. In case it does, I noticed a few clicks as it turned on. Does any of this mean anything? I'm really desperate for this to work

Edited by aRoomInAhti, 28 May 2015 - 02:44 PM.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,429 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 28 May 2015 - 02:48 PM

Clicks?  If from the HD, HD is very likely toast, or very soon will be.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#7 aRoomInAhti

aRoomInAhti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 03:14 PM

Clicks?  If from the HD, HD is very likely toast, or very soon will be.

Yes and yes, all I want to do is get temporary access to my hard drive to back it up.

On a side note, I tried using an external hard drive to see if my desktop would detect it. I was so happy when it did! I think I got my hopes up too quickly though. While I could open my Lenovo Drive with nothing really inside it, I was unable to open up my OS drive. If I tried to do it, I got this message

HEXq66M.png

Does formatting my disk remove shadow copies? If not, should I do it? If yes, what should I do instead?

EDIT: I don't think they're clicks, I think they're just normal sounds. They don't sound like loud clicks, just kinda like mechanical whirring with a slight interruption every so often. My external hard drive made the same noises, so I don't think it's a problem, unless they're both dying, in which case I'm screwed.

EDIT EDIT: I just checked the volume for errors, and this popped up:

WG4J3OK.png

I also tried using TestDisk to see what's wrong. After choosing the disk, choosing the Intel partition, and Analyse, this showed up.

kscazuC.png

Alternatively, choosing none (it says Hint: None partition type has been detected) displays this:

Jwv8TiL.png

Does any of this help?

Does any of this info help? :/

Edited by aRoomInAhti, 28 May 2015 - 03:53 PM.

#8 ring 0

ring 0

• 89 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 03:51 PM

Hard drive clicking implies the head of the drive is resetting its position to home to try and retry to locate the data it needs to boot.

As said above, drive is done.

#9 aRoomInAhti

aRoomInAhti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 03:54 PM

Hard drive clicking implies the head of the drive is resetting its position to home to try and retry to locate the data it needs to boot.

What kind of clicking noise does a bad hard drive make? As stated above, I'm not sure myself if it was a clicking noise that I heard.

#10 ring 0

ring 0

• 89 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 07:29 PM

What kind of clicking noise does a bad hard drive make? As stated above, I'm not sure myself if it was a clicking noise that I heard.

http://harddriveclicking.net/hard-drive-clicking/click-of-death

#11 PanickyD

PanickyD

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 09:21 PM

Bad sector means bad hard drive.      Kaput.

You can test your luck with data recovery with Recuva or other similar recovery software, but it's not looking good.

After the game, the King and the Pawn go into the same box...

#12 aRoomInAhti

aRoomInAhti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2015 - 07:39 AM

Just a little update. I'm probably getting a new hard drive, but yesterday I tried to take off the cover of the hard drive, but it wouldn't budge despite all the screws. I found another screw on the other side hidden underneath a circular piece of silver paper. I didn't take it off because I was worried that the paper was important, so I closed the hard drive and put it back in. Just for fun, I turned on my laptop and after the logo showed up for a second it went to a loading files screen. After it finished loading files, it went back to the Lenovo logo and had some spinning thing beneath it. After a minute it goes to a blank screen but won't go anywhere from there. What does this mean? O_O

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,638 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2015 - 08:18 AM

In your first TestDisk Image did you select QuickSearch? Edit: If after doing a Quick Search you see partitions listed highlight each and press the "P" key. Are your files listed?

Edited by JohnC_21, 31 May 2015 - 08:33 AM.

#14 ring 0

ring 0

• 89 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2015 - 11:25 AM

What does this mean? O_O

It means that your drive is dead.

#15 aRoomInAhti

aRoomInAhti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 04:21 PM

In your first TestDisk Image did you select QuickSearch? Edit: If after doing a Quick Search you see partitions listed highlight each and press the "P" key. Are your files listed?

I think so, and yes, I was able to access my files. I give up on the hard drive itself I just need the files XDD
Also do I have an Intel partition or no partition? I'm confused

Edited by aRoomInAhti, 01 June 2015 - 04:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users