Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my Motherboard overheating ?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 hackYou

hackYou

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 27 May 2015 - 05:58 PM

Hi guys,
I've got an (very) old PC from 2008. After I dropped it somewhere for about 2 years or so, yesterday when  my laptop broke, I remembered that I had this old rig.  So I took it out and tried to boot from a linux live USB and to my surprise it worked like a charm. 

However after a while I went on Youtube to watch some videos when suddenly it froze, completely. No mouse movement, no keyboard...nothing. First I thought the CPU might have been the culprit but no...then I checked the RAM (from the BIOS) it seems to be fine too. Then I installed Windows 7 on it. Downloaded SpeedFan and HWMonitor and went on Youtube again, while watching videos I noticed that one of the temperatures was constantly increasing, from 38 to over 60 and then the PC froze again at about 62. I believe it is the motherboards temperature since HWMonitor shows it as Motherboard temperature.  Both SpeedFan and HWMonitor show the same temperatures so I guess the sensors are working fine.

So my question is could an overheating mobo cause a PC to freeze just like that or am I just guessing wrong? And if yes, is it somehow possible to prevent themobo from overheating or I need to run the fans at 100 just like I am right now?

HP Compaq, Intel dual core 3.0. 2 GB RAM. 40GB HDD (internal), 250 GB (external, from broken laptop).
Thanks in advance.

Edited by hamluis, 28 May 2015 - 01:08 PM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to Win 7 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 27 May 2015 - 06:08 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#3 hackYou

hackYou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 06:32 PM

I'm  sorry that I couldn't reply faster but Avast wouldn't let me download MiniToolBox I had to disable it (I trust You :) )

Now, here's what Speccy spat out. http://speccy.piriform.com/results/7to3rZTTKm3Xe8dOX2RgXBM  .

And here's the log from MiniTooBox.

MiniToolBox by Farbar  Version: 11-05-2015 01
Ran by ihaaaaa (administrator) on 28-05-2015 at 01:26:05
Running from "C:\Users\ihaaaaa\Desktop"
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate   (X64)
Model: HP Compaq dc7700 Small Form Factor Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
Boot Mode: Normal

========================= Event log errors: ===============================

Application errors:
==================

System errors:
=============
Error: (05/28/2015 00:16:04 AM) (Source: EventLog) (User: )
Description: The previous system shutdown at 12:04:34 AM on ‎5/‎28/‎2015 was unexpected.

Error: (05/27/2015 11:26:42 PM) (Source: EventLog) (User: )
Description: The previous system shutdown at 11:25:03 PM on ‎5/‎27/‎2015 was unexpected.

Error: (05/27/2015 10:54:10 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
Description: The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: 
AFD
aswNdisFlt
aswRdr
aswRvrt
aswSnx
aswSP
aswVmm
CSC
DfsC
discache
NetBIOS
NetBT
nsiproxy
Psched
rdbss
spldr
tdx
vwififlt
Wanarpv6
WfpLwf

Description: The Network Location Awareness service depends on the Network Store Interface Service service which failed to start because of the following error: 
%%1068

Description: The SMB 2.0 MiniRedirector service depends on the SMB MiniRedirector Wrapper and Engine service which failed to start because of the following error: 
%%1068

Description: The SMB 1.x MiniRedirector service depends on the SMB MiniRedirector Wrapper and Engine service which failed to start because of the following error: 
%%1068

Description: The SMB MiniRedirector Wrapper and Engine service depends on the Redirected Buffering Sub Sysytem service which failed to start because of the following error: 
%%31

Description: The IP Helper service depends on the Network Store Interface Service service which failed to start because of the following error: 
%%1068

Description: The Workstation service depends on the Network Store Interface Service service which failed to start because of the following error: 
%%1068

Description: The Network Store Interface Service service depends on the NSI proxy service driver. service which failed to start because of the following error: 
%%31

Microsoft Office Sessions:
=========================

=========================== Installed Programs ============================

Avast Internet Security (HKLM-x32\...\Avast) (Version: 10.2.2218 - AVAST Software)
Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.1 (HKLM\...\{92FB6C44-E685-45AD-9B20-CADF4CABA132} - 1033) (Version: 4.5.50938 - Microsoft Corporation)
Opera Stable 29.0.1795.60 (HKLM-x32\...\Opera 29.0.1795.60) (Version: 29.0.1795.60 - Opera Software ASA)
Realtek High Definition Audio Driver (HKLM-x32\...\{F132AF7F-7BCA-4EDE-8A7C-958108FE7DBC}) (Version: 6.0.1.6482 - Realtek Semiconductor Corp.)
SpeedFan (remove only) (HKLM-x32\...\SpeedFan) (Version:  - )
Tenda Wireless LAN Card (HKLM-x32\...\{8FC4F1DD-F7FD-4766-804D-3C8FF1D309AF}) (Version: 1.5.12.0 - Tenda)
WinRAR 5.11 (64-bit) (HKLM\...\WinRAR archiver) (Version: 5.11.0 - win.rar GmbH)

========================= Memory info: ===================================

Percentage of memory in use: 54%
Total physical RAM: 2039.31 MB
Available physical RAM: 920.25 MB
Total Pagefile: 4078.62 MB
Available Pagefile: 2509.6 MB
Total Virtual: 4095.88 MB
Available Virtual: 3982.54 MB

========================= Partitions: =====================================

1 Drive c: () (Fixed) (Total:23.9 GB) (Free:8.65 GB) NTFS
2 Drive d: (Win) (Fixed) (Total:13.37 GB) (Free:7.92 GB) NTFS
4 Drive f: (Programe) (Fixed) (Total:97.65 GB) (Free:18.77 GB) NTFS
5 Drive g: () (Fixed) (Total:4 GB) (Free:3.95 GB) NTFS
6 Drive h: (E-books) (Fixed) (Total:16 GB) (Free:1.75 GB) NTFS

========================= Users: ========================================

User accounts for \\IHAAAAA-PC

Administrator            Guest                    ihaaaaa                  

**** End of log ****

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 11:03 AM

Do you have a valid license for this Win 7 Ultimate  install?

The max operating for that Pentium D is 62.5 Celsius...I suspect that installing non-legitimate version of Win 7 Ultimate is not the right step for it.

I know that 2GB RAM would not give the system much resource-power, even if it were the 32-bit version.

Since you just installed the O/S...I see no indication that any component is overheating.

Louis

#5 hackYou

hackYou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 12:23 PM

Do you have a valid license for this Win 7 Ultimate  install?

No, it's a cracked version. Here where I live I wouldn't be able to get a license for it even if I had the money to pay for it (which I don't because I work for about 200$ a month). Wouldn't pay for it even if I had the money though because I don't need it. I'd buy a cheaper version of windows if I had to. :) As a side note: You see the second hdd there? I've got a linux distro on it and the same stalling (freezing) happens with that too.

The max operating for that Pentium D is 62.5 Celsius...I suspect that installing non-legitimate version of Win 7 Ultimate is not the right step for it.

After I did some test today, I too believe that overheating is not the problem because I caught it freezing  even at 40 degrees Celsius.  Heat is involved in a way however. Since when I fired up all the fans at full speed I could watch some videos till the end and no freezing.

Could the little amount of video memory be the cause of this happening?

I know that 2GB RAM would not give the system much resource-power, even if it were the 32-bit version.

Like I said, the same thing happens when I boot from Lubuntu. So the RAM is not the problem I guess. I did a memory diagnostics too. No errors in came up.

Thanks for the reply.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 01:04 PM

Sorry, but we won't be able to assist you in this forum with a cracked version of Windows.  Such is against forum rules and policies.

"No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences."

As for your problems with your linux install...the BC Linux & Unix Forum may be able to offer some assistance in that area.