Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Limitations of live linux versus installed

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 27 May 2015 - 01:31 PM

Just wanted to check a couple of things regarding what can and can't be done with a live linux usb stick, hopefully all the things will be doable without linux needing permanent installation. I also ask which of these are not possible on a live USB stick but are possible on linux installed on an external hard-drive:

This specifically relates to linux mint if the answers differe between flavours of linux.

1.Can live linux (or linux on a USb connected external hard-drive) run wine?

2.Can live linux (or linux on a USb connected external hard-drive) run within wine anything which would run in wine on an installed (to the main HDD, which mine won't be) linux system?

3.Can live linux copy and paste files from another USB stick being plugged in? If I plug in the USb with the live linux on it, boot from that and then want to plug in another USB with files on it to copy into the live linux can this be done? Can this all be done without in any way interfering with the computer's real internal hard-drive? And without interfering with BIOS, UEFI or anything else built into the computer itself?

4.Can live linux read and write cd and dvd discs placed in the computer's cd/dvd drive?

5.When updates to the linux operating system are needed, can live linux systems be updated or not?

6.Can live linux systems do this https://www.blender.org/manual/getting_started/installing_blender/linux.html ?there was a beter page about installing this software on linux mint but I can't find the link to it.

7.What should I do to make sure that when booting from a live linux USb stick and using it that I do not in any way mess up the windows installaion on my hard-drive or mess up any of the things hard-coded into the UEFI or motherboard?

8.What is the likelihood of severe problems being caused by trying to boot a live linux mint USB on an HP r218na Notebook laptop (my machine) which has UEFI and secure boot, but where secure boot can be disabled and the boot order can be easilt changed to put the USb drive at the top? What is the likelihood of severe problems being caused If I try to plug in another USB once I am booted into linux mint so I can copy some files from that USB onto the one which holds linux mint?*

9.What parts of the computers hardware will the live linux system be using? Obviously the screen and speakers and cpu, and fan, and USb ports and cd/dvd drive? But will the live system use the computer's built in RAM, or will it want to do anything with the computer's built in hard-drive? Will live linux system want to do anything to the other chips in the motherboard, or the tiny amounts of memory space held in some fo those chips?

10. Precisely what can installed linux do that live linux (or linux installed on an external HDD) cannot? What can linux installed on an external HDD do that live linux on a USB cannot?

11.Would it be better to test live linux on a VERY OLD desktop computer running windows Xp as it's OS? The excat type of this compuetr is unknown, I would guess it has a variety of parts from a variety of sources.

*From what I know linux live USB sticks hold a linux operating system, all the things needed to boot it, usually all the drivers one needs for working with the computer it is plugged into, plus some space for putting personal files which can be carried around with the linux OS on the same USb drive. Live linux treats the USB like an installed OS treats a computer's real hard-drive?

Thanks

Edited by rp88, 27 May 2015 - 01:31 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 27 May 2015 - 01:42 PM

Okay, I am not going to individually answer each question since most can be boiled down to an answer. Here is the thing, if you boot off the USB (like booting off a Live CD) it makes it hard to really install any application. If you do install something it won't permanently save it to the USB so its there next time you boot. Though if you use puppy linux, I believe there is an option to save things in a save file of sorts, and then load that save file every time you boot. But if you actually install the Linux OS to the USB (like installing it to a Hard drive) you can do anything else that you normally would be able to as if it was on an actual hard drive. So if you do that, then yes you can install and run applications in wine, download blender, use the CD/DVD drive, etc. etc.

Again as I mentioned in my post on your other question, I would reccomend using a VM to try Linux out. You can give it as much hard drive space as you want/have available and don't have to reboot your computer and boot into Linux. You can test everything right while running Windows, and again you can install any application in the VM on Linux as you otherwise would if it was on a dedicated drive.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 O.T.T.

O.T.T.

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 27 May 2015 - 04:29 PM

+1 for running Linux in a VM, no risk in that !

I run Linux Mint and Debian in VirtualBox on a Windows 7 host.

You could try the live versions once to see if you like the look and feel but they will run much faster and have more functions in a VM if you've got decent hardware.

PS : Don't expect too much of wine...

OTT

Please ask Google why some of my links don't work anymore !

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,845 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 27 May 2015 - 04:32 PM

Don't expect too much of wine...

I agree.

I hate Wine, If I need to use software that runs under Windows, Then I will use Windows. The whole point of using Linux is to get away from MS.

A better option IMO is install Linux to HDD, then install Windows in a VM.

#5 O.T.T.

O.T.T.

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 27 May 2015 - 05:29 PM

Heavy Video-Editing keeps me away from Linux as my main system !

The alternatives keep crashing, have not enough options, don't support the required codec or simply don't support the hardware 100 %...

Just to make rp88 envious and use VM's instead of live versions :

NvgZ0pM.png

PS : Whonix is Debian based.

OTT

Please ask Google why some of my links don't work anymore !

#6 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,445 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 05:41 PM

Don't expect too much of wine...

I agree.

I hate Wine, If I need to use software that runs under Windows, Then I will use Windows. The whole point of using Linux is to get away from MS.

Wine is pretty dang awful, I definitely agree on that. For the majority of things it really is just a pain to even sort of get working. PlayOnLinux does use wine for some games, which can work out alright... but it still likes to have bugs. Anyway as the guys have said above, and as I said, ditch the USB live idea and go right to Linux in a VM. Best way to try out any OS.

#7 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 3,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 27 May 2015 - 05:49 PM

I have an old HP computer that has a dead hard drive. I want to use Linux running on a live USB, but I only want to do one thing with this Frankenstein PC; I want to be able to surf the internet in case my main system has issues. I would like to use my broken down HP just to surf different internet sites to find information in order to fix my main system. I chose Linux Mint Xfce in order to try this project. Does anybody thing that this would be feasible?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#8 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,845 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 08:39 PM

I chose Linux Mint Xfce in order to try this project. Does anybody thing that this would be feasible?

It should work OK but it will be a bit slow.

My suggestion is Puppy Linux.

Download latest Puppy Linux release

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,345 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 02:10 AM

@ Rocky Bennett:  Yes, if you do a full install to the usb it should be great!  puppy, as Nick said-will be faster but xfce should be fine.  I ran Mint Mate 17 for a while and it ran very well!  Speed was fine for me and could save as much as you want if the usb is big enough, awesome stuff.

rp88, that was a lot to digest LOL, you sound like me, so many questions so little time.  I think, without knowing more that you might just want to do a full install to usb for a while, that way you can save and come back were you left off and learn more.  And yes you can save to another usb, and, usually use most of the pc's functions, depending on the pc.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#10 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 3,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 28 May 2015 - 05:41 AM

Thanks guys.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#11 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 10:27 AM

thanks for all the info, and yes you're right I will need some time to process it all. But regarding wine, I have looked on the wine "app database" site about sketchup 8 (I keep sketchup 8's installer handy so I don't need to download it or anything) and reports there are pretty positive. Though no reports from anyone with mint, plenty from users of ubuntu. Wikipedia's article on sketchup 8 also says it has a "gold" rating for running under wine. This program is the main reason I will need wine, otherwise all the windows software I really,really need has linux equivalents.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#12 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,445 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 10:31 AM

Mint is based off Ubuntu, so reports of it working under Ubuntu should be the same with Mint.

#13 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 10:46 AM

One other thing to add about why I was thinking of live linux and linux installed on an external HDD rather than initially thinking about a VM.

If I try booting live linux within the next month or so, and then try installing it to an external HDD (or high capacity USB drive)and something does go wrong I am still within a period offered by the shop I bought the laptop from where the shop will help if things go wrong.

If I take the VM route for now and do not try live linux, or linux on an HDD until after June is over then I no longer am within the shop's guarantee but only within HP's warranty. I know the shop are easier to contact and more helpful than HP, just from how I was able to discuss product requirements with the shop when I was buying and how HP's webchat service were far more evasive about details (reading from scripts type thing).

So if something does go wrong when trying to boot live linux, or install linux on an external HDD, better to go wrong before the end of june than after that time.

Edited by rp88, 28 May 2015 - 10:46 AM.

#14 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,445 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 11:24 AM

One other thing to add about why I was thinking of live linux and linux installed on an external HDD rather than initially thinking about a VM.

If I try booting live linux within the next month or so, and then try installing it to an external HDD (or high capacity USB drive)and something does go wrong I am still within a period offered by the shop I bought the laptop from where the shop will help if things go wrong.

If I take the VM route for now and do not try live linux, or linux on an HDD until after June is over then I no longer am within the shop's guarantee but only within HP's warranty. I know the shop are easier to contact and more helpful than HP, just from how I was able to discuss product requirements with the shop when I was buying and how HP's webchat service were far more evasive about details (reading from scripts type thing).

So if something does go wrong when trying to boot live linux, or install linux on an external HDD, better to go wrong before the end of june than after that time.

i am not really sure what you are thinking could go wrong... other than maybe accidentally wiping your Windows data? You're just installing Linux, if parts are going to fail on a new computer they will fail regardless if you install Linux or not.

Edited by DeimosChaos, 28 May 2015 - 11:24 AM.

#15 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,845 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 03:29 PM

If you are talking warranty, You may find that by installing Linux you void it. I had that happen with a laptop, It died I sent it back for repairs, They sent it back with a note. " Warranty Void due to unknown Operating System " It was a OEM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users