Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Failed to start..A recent hardware.....error. BSOD

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mikeinstlouis

mikeinstlouis

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 27 May 2015 - 12:11 PM

Hi guys.

First off..I am sorry if this has been posted before.  I have seen it on Google with different suggestions that people said didn't work.

I don't have my computer to work on so I have to use my work computer  to type this.

Last night I started my Toshiba Windows & laptop and it went to the screen that says that Windows failed to start.  A recent hardware or software change might be the cause..

Options of Launch Startup Repair (recommended) vs Start Windows Normally are given.

I use the first option and it ends up with a black screen and a bigger than normal white arrow cursor that responds to the mouse and that's it.

I use the second option that shows the Windows logo loading up normally then right to the BSOD.

I went to safemode and turned off the auto restart.  To summarize, the error message in the BSOD said Unmountable_Boot_Volume.

At the bottom it said STOP; 0X000000ED, (0xFFFFFA8004C86CD0, 0XFFFFFFFFC0000185, then two 0xlots of 0's repeated twice.

I tried to go to a previous restore point with no luck

I saw that there was a BSOD help section but didn't know how to use it since I can't get my laptop to start.

I would be grateful if someone knows where to direct me or any advice or if any additional information is needed.

Thanks!
Mikeinstlouis

Edit: Topic moved from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 27 May 2015 - 02:04 PM

Boot into Safe Mode with Command Prompt.

Open the Command Prompt and type in bootrec /fixboot.  Please notice the space between the bootrec and the /fixboot.  Now press Enter.

Reboot to see if this resolves the issue.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 mikeinstlouis

mikeinstlouis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 04:25 PM

I tried to boot to the command prompt in safe mode. It did the same thing, it went to a blue screen and then rebooted again to the same error screen.

#4 mikeinstlouis

mikeinstlouis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 04:30 PM

Addendum - I took a little video so I can see what the blue screen was before it quickly disappeared and it was the same errors as I mentioned above

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 08:04 AM

Safe Mode is part of the Advanced Boot Options.  There are three different Safe Modes, Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, and Safe Mode with Command Prompt.

In order to run the command I suggested you need to boot into Safe Mode with Command Prompt.

What is the model of this Toshiba laptop?

Edited by dc3, 28 May 2015 - 08:05 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 mikeinstlouis

mikeinstlouis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2015 - 08:19 PM

I am sorry that I have not been able to work on this but I had a death in my family. I cannot boot into command prompt. I used Hirens BootCD and ran listI am sorry that I have not been able to work on this but I had a death in my family. I cannot boot into command prompt. I use higher and boot cd and ran list volume and I could not see the word a hard drive was. It is a satellite l 775

#7 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,525 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2015 - 12:42 AM

Have you tried running chkdsk through Hiren's?

#8 mikeinstlouis

mikeinstlouis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2015 - 09:10 AM

It doesn't recognize the hard drive to even check it.  I can log into safe mode with the options, but when I click the options I get the BSOD.  I used Hiren's but it the only options to check were the CD rom and a removable drive.  

How can I get into safemode with a bad hard drive if that is the case?

Thanks

#9 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,525 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2015 - 04:20 PM

Your hard drive is on the verge of dying or is already dead. The BSOD error code you got (0XED) is hard drive related. "Dirty Volume" to be specific.

I'm not advertising or anything but a program by EaseUS has worked on several occasions for me in the past in situations like this. -> http://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizardpro/

You might want to try it if your data is very important and you didn't have any backups.

The hard drive itself though is in bad shape and you should no longer use it once you've gotten the data you need from it.

Best of luck!

#10 mikeinstlouis

mikeinstlouis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2015 - 07:06 PM

how can I do this when I can't even get into windows to install the program?

#11 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,525 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2015 - 07:19 PM

how can I do this when I can't even get into windows to install the program?

You'd need a working computer and slave your "bad" hard drive to it. 

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 10:24 AM

A dirty volume doesn't mean that this is a insurmountable problem.  It does not necessarily mean that the hdd is failing.

I would suggest calling Toshiba and tell them that the hdd has failed and that you need a installation disk in order to reinstall Windows 7.  Most manufacturer's will simply send you this disc and a disc with the drivers needed for the installation for free.  If it isn't free, the fee usually is a small amount.

With the installation disc we can do a repair installation.  This process will allow you to access the System Recovery Options, one of the options allows the use of the Command Prompt.  I have a tutorial written for this application, so if you have the installation disc we can use these options.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.  My father died two weeks ago, so I can relate. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users