Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clone C-partition of 1st HD onto C-partition of 2nd HD possible?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 27 May 2015 - 11:20 AM

Clone C-partition of 1st HD onto C-partition of 2nd HD possible?

Ok, I have both Acronis True Image [fee] and Macrium Reflect [free].  I understand both can:

-- clone a whole physical hard-drive onto another whole physical hard-drive

-- make an image of any HD en toto, or make an image of each partition -- [save image] onto another HD, ext or int.

I can't find a way to "tell" either program what I wanted to do:

Clone C-partition of 1st HD onto the C-partition of the 2nd HD.  Is there a way to do this, if not with Acronis or Macrium -- what program?

Edited by hamluis, 27 May 2015 - 11:59 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to All Other Apps - Hamluis.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 11:58 AM

I use Macrium...yes, it's possible (I do it all the time)...but it's a little tricky for someone who does it the first time, IMO.

On the MR screen...select the partition which you wish to clone...be sure that there is no check mark by the whole disk, just a check mark under the desired partition.

Now, choose the destination partition or drive.  If a partition currently exists on the destination partition...you may have to check the box in the lower portion of the screen which will say something like "Delete this partition?"  If there is no partition on the drive to which you want to clone...just select that drive as the destination and it will clone it as the first partition on said drive.

If you have any trouble...just start all over again.  At times, it may be hardd to get MR to select the proper partition...but just reverse or start all over.

Once you get used to it, MR is fast and pretty good software, IMO.

Louis

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 02:34 PM

Thanks Louis! I'll do that. I see I forgot this earlier: After cloning, the 2nd HD is disabled via CTL-PNL/Device Manager, and parked.

Addendeum: I have installed Macrium Reflect free on two computers. Guys, Gals, would I benefit by buying the Macrium Reflect Pro? I see the descriptions for free and fee, what has been your experiences using free and fee?

Edited by RolandJS, 27 May 2015 - 07:59 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users