Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

clone/copy/image non-boot logical drive to another logical drive

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jpd9930

jpd9930

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 27 May 2015 - 10:47 AM

currently my C:\ physical drive is partitioned into 2 logical drives. I want to move the content from my non-boot logical drive to a new logical drive on another physical drive. then expand out my current C:\ to entire size of physical drive. I have done nothing other than search for a few free software to help manage this change. I thought there was disk partition software included in win7/32 to do the portioning but I have not found it again. drives are C:\=30G, D:\=119 (total 150gb)and F:\= 500GB. I may get a new 1TB-2TB drive and move both E and F to it.. and scrap the 500GB drive. Not sure at this point. Problem is headers..just 3 available for drives...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,926 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 11:26 AM

You can use Partition Wizard to copy the partition but the partition needs to be copied to unallocated space. In other words you will need to delete the logical partition on the other disk. Then copy your partition to the unallocated space. The unallocated space needs to be at least as big as the partition you are copying. I would also open some files after the copy operation to see if it was successful.

#3 jpd9930

jpd9930
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 11:50 AM

I have data on the 2nd drive but not partition yet... both drives have data that are referenced to those particular drive.. I may be able to change that though. but that might be way to go... I'll check out Partition wizard

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,926 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 11:54 AM

It's always a good idea to backup any data before doing any kind of partition movement even though I have never had a problem with Partition Wizard.

#5 jpd9930

jpd9930
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 12:07 PM

actually I tried to DL this earlier... win7 doesn't like and wont DL it.. says its not commonly DLed and my only real option is to delete it... same with their disk software

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,926 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 12:17 PM

That is strange. I never had an issue downloading and running it. Maybe it's your security software saying the software is not common. 

#7 jpd9930

jpd9930
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2015 - 09:37 AM

sorry for the delay in posting....is there some reason I cant just select all files and copy from drive to the next?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,926 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2015 - 10:24 AM

Sorry, I guess I couldn't see the forest for the trees. You are right. You can simply copy any files from one drive to the partition on the other drive. After checking the files to see if they open then you can delete the logical drive and expand C: with Partition Wizard.

#9 jpd9930

jpd9930
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2015 - 10:46 AM

I just did that... I am now trying to format (quick and standard) the drive..but it says other things are using the drive and wont let me format unti I quit them... no clue what is running. I have put programs on that logical drive... can I do something in control panel or where I can start, stop or manually or auto start programs (I forget what this is called)?

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,926 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2015 - 11:03 AM

Which drive are you trying to format and are you using Partition Wizard to do it? Are you trying to delete the logical drive on C: ? You can always use the bootable version of Partition Wizard based on linux and do the partition and format offline.

#11 jpd9930

jpd9930
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2015 - 11:45 AM

WOW! having huge issues with my send buttons today... anyway I got it figured out.. moved my stuff but then couldnt format the drive.. I remembered I had the page file set to that drive because of the space it takes up... moved that and now I have Disk0 as my entire C:\ drive...  thanks for your help...

#12 jpd9930

jpd9930
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2015 - 11:49 AM

interesting..now I can see my post and your reply...I used apps on win7 to do what I needed... namely disk management and straight up highlight and move my files (3min for 113G).... moved my page file.. then I was able to format my old partition, deleted it and expand my C:\ partion to the full size of my physical drive...

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,926 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2015 - 11:57 AM

No problem. Glad you got it sorted out and thanks for the update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users