Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Stuck in safe mode on new laptop with no cursor visible

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 librarylottie

librarylottie

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 27 May 2015 - 10:36 AM

Hi

Can anyone help please? I have been posting under Anti-Virus and Anti- Malware asking for advice on which would be best to install on my new Acer Laptop and was following instructions from there when I found the touchpad seems to have stopped working as I cannot find a cursor to use.

I had followed the instructions given under #4 by Quietman7 on that topic and am definitely in Safe Mode - but cannot get out of it or get any further either.I have 2 windows open - one is Windows Help and Support - which also says I'm not connected to the internet and to click the link to check my internet connection and the 2nd says Your device isn't fully protected and to check the status of my McAfee software - which is what I want to remove.

I've tried closing by holding in the power button and also ALT,CTR,DEL but I still come back to the same situation when I reboot.

I really would be grateful if anyone can help as no-one who was helping me on the Anti-Virus/Malware for Windows 8.1 seem to be online currently.

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 10:43 AM

Hi there,

Did you try plugging in another mouse?

#3 librarylottie

librarylottie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 10:58 AM

Hi there,

Did you try plugging in another mouse?

Hi

Sorry to be such a nuisance - but no - I only have one mouse which I'm using on this old pc currently - I'll try to see if I can move it over and come back to you in a moment

#4 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 11:10 AM

Let me know if it solves the problem (or not).

#5 librarylottie

librarylottie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 11:24 AM

Afraid not - I couldn't get the usb part of the mouse to go in to either of what I'm pretty sure are usb sockets from the "pics". So - had to put it back onto this pc again.

Without the cursor - I'm not certain how to ensure it's online via wifi - even though the router and modem or whatever - are next to it and must be working or I wouldn't be able to get on here!

:smash:

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 27 May 2015 - 11:37 AM

You can do this without a mouse. Press your Windows Key and in the search box type msconfig. Press enter if you get the UAC window. 

Msconfig will open. Press your tab key until you see a dashed box around the General Tab. Press the right arrow key to open the Boot tab. If Safeboot is not checked then stop and exit out. You cannot proceed further. If it is checked press the tab key until you see a dashed box around Safe Boot. Press the space key to uncheck the box in front of SafeBoot. Press the tab key until you see a dashed box around the Apply Button. Press the Enter key. Press Enter again to exit.

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 May 2015 - 11:38 AM.

#7 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 11:39 AM

My thinking is this: You are in Safe Mode (not Safe Mode with Networking) so the network adapter is disabled and there will be no internet as a result.

Laptops usually have a touchpad driver, which probably did not load in Safe Mode. Thus the touchpad will not work either.

In this case the solution is - unfortunately - to plug in an external mouse, then reboot in Safe Mode with Networking.

Edit: I see John posted a solution to disable SafeBoot without a mouse.

Alex

Edited by Alexstrasza, 27 May 2015 - 11:40 AM.

#8 librarylottie

librarylottie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 11:41 AM

You can do this without a mouse. Press your Windows Key and in the search box type msconfig. Press enter if you get the UAC window. 

Msconfig will open. Press your tab key until you see a dashed box around the General Tab. Press the right arrow key to open the Boot tab. If Safeboot is not checked then stop and exit out. You cannot proceed further. If it is checked press the tab key until you see a dashed box around Safe Boot. Press the space key to uncheck the box in front of SafeBoot. Press the tab key until you see a dashed box around the Apply Button. Press the Enter key. Press Enter again to exit.

When I press the Windows key it comes up with the Start page but I can't open the search box without the cursor - grrh

#9 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 11:42 AM

librarylottie, press the Windows key and R to bring up the Run box. After that type msconfig into it and press Enter, that will get you where you needed to go.

#10 librarylottie

librarylottie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 11:46 AM

My thinking is this: You are in Safe Mode (not Safe Mode with Networking) so the network adapter is disabled and there will be no internet as a result.

Laptops usually have a touchpad driver, which probably did not load in Safe Mode. Thus the touchpad will not work either.

In this case the solution is - unfortunately - to plug in an external mouse, then reboot in Safe Mode with Networking.

Edit: I see John posted a solution to disable SafeBoot without a mouse.

Alex

Hi Alex - yes - I've tried to disable safeboot as John suggested but I can't open the search box without a cursor.

I am in Safe Mode with Networking as I followed Quietman7's instructions to the letter.

Is there another way I can access the search box by using the keyboard? 

Oh - it looks like Quietman is online again now too.

I'm really feeling frustrated and silly now - sorry for going on.

:blush:

#11 librarylottie

librarylottie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 11:52 AM

librarylottie, press the Windows key and R to bring up the Run box. After that type msconfig into it and press Enter, that will get you where you needed to go.

Did this and have the system Configuration window open but when I get into Boot the Safe boot box is not checked so not vertain now what to do?

#12 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 11:57 AM

Hi librarylottie,

Can you give me an update on your situation? I might have worked up something to uninstall McAfee without a mouse (but my machine is Windows 7, not sure if it will work on 8).

Alex

#13 librarylottie

librarylottie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 12:00 PM

Did this and have the system Configuration window open but when I get into Boot the Safe boot box is not checked so not vertain now what to do?

Hi librarylottie,

Can you give me an update on your situation? I might have worked up something to uninstall McAfee without a mouse (but my machine is Windows 7, not sure if it will work on 8).

Alex

Hi Alex

Quietman has asked that to avoid confusion we should continue this under  the original forum for AntiVirus/Malware until it's sorted - to avoid confusion? I'm not certain how to quote across forums etc but have said we will

#14 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 12:04 PM

I saw that - no need to quote his post :)

Let's see if this will work...

- Press the Windows key and R to bring up the Run box. Type in appwiz.cpl and press Enter.

- Press the Down arrow button to highlight McAfee LiveSafe's entry, then press Enter to initiate Uninstall.

- Follow the prompts (you can use Tab to jump to a button, it will show as an outline on the button). At the end you will be asked to restart, please do so. Remember to reboot into Normal Mode!

Let me know if it works out.

Alex

#15 librarylottie

librarylottie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 12:21 PM

I can't get it to work - I get the outline on the button but nothing happens when I press enter.

Also it has a box which is greyed out which says Remove all files for this program. If you reinstall on this PC you'll need to enter your subscription information and choose your settings again. 

It says something about leaving a free web protection  but I can't read it all as there is the McAfee warning window which it says to check software or close but I cannot do that as I can't access that window. The same warning window covers the publisher and date installed column on the control panel??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users