Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my hardware causing my computer to slow down?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Danny Chalfoun

Danny Chalfoun

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 27 May 2015 - 02:43 AM

Hi!

My name is Danny Chalfoun. I looked up computer tech forums and here's the first one I found. I'm new and I apologize in advance if this topic is placed in the wrong category. This will be a long one, so I apologize, but I hope I can get help soon.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Hardware Specs

• Processor: AMD FX-9590 CPU (8x 4.70GHz/8MB L3 Cache)
  • Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H55 Liquid CPU Cooling System Copper Plate - ARC Dual Silent High Performance Fans (Push-Pull Airflow)
  • RAM: 8 GB (4GB x 2) DDR3 - 1600 Memory Module [AMD] - Corsair Vengeance
  • Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 - 2GB - EVGA SuperSC ACX 2.0+ - Single Card
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 --- AMD 990FX w/ 4x PCI-E 2.0 x16
  • Power Supply: 650 Watt - EVGA SuperNOVA NEX650G - 80 PLUS Gold
  • Hard Drives: 
  •   Primary: 120 GB Kingston V300 SSD
  •   Secondary: 2 TB 7200 RPM Hard Drive

My Software Specs

• Operating System: Windows 7 Professional
  • Driver Status: All drivers for motherboard, graphics card, and soundcard are installed and updated to their latest versions.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Issue

The issue I'm having is that even with all these amazing hardware specs, my computer runs unbearably slow when running video games. But, it's odd, because it's not a constant slow speed. What actually happens is that my games, regardless of video settings (as high or low as I want) run EXTREMELY smoothly, ~60-120 FPS. Then, after about 30 seconds of smooth gameplay, it drops to ~5-15 FPS for about 10 seconds and then shoots back up. There is no pattern at all to this. Nothing like looking down, up, left, right, scoping in, shooting, moving a certain direction, or anything specific like that causes it. It just happens at random. Unless the game is absolutely primitive and uses an old game engine that requires next to no graphical processing power whatsoever (half-life, half-life 2, counter-strike source, RPG maker games, etc.), it will always happen. It's extremely disheartening to know that my computer can run these games with great performance, but won't.

Possible Causes

1. My processor
  2. Video card running out of memory
  3. Power supply being inadquate

The reasons I listed those specifically is because I have specific evidence regarding them both.

My processor, when I first received this computer, was a total mess. Being a new processor on the market and, according to my representatives from iBuypower (where I purchased the computer), having compatibility issues with my motherboard, the processor would freeze my computer whenever I used anything more than around 5% of my CPU power. I sent my computer back in for repairs once and got it back and it still froze periodically after they changed my power supply AND graphics card for different models of the same type. After almost sending it back a second time to downgrade my processor, I discovered online I could disable my C1 and C6 properties of my processor in the BIOS and the issue of freezing would stop, and it did, but that's when the issue of periodic slow-downs started occuring. It may have been happening before, but I could never run a game long enough before I fixed the freezing issue to find out. Now, I'm not sure if I should have sent the computer back in for repairs and a processor downgraded the second time. I was given the RMA slip and everything, and never sent it in. I had thought my issues were over, but I guess not.

When in-game in GTA 5, it displayed that i was using 2.5GB/2.0GB of my video memory to run the game, and as such dropped my graphics settings dramatically to use less than 2.0GB, and the slowing-down issue lessened in degree, but still occurs to this day. This may be occurring with my other games, but I just don't know.

Maybe I need a higher wattage power supply??

I have been using this computer for over a month now, and have had nothing but problems with it since the very get-go. At the very best, it's usable for gaming, but not preferable. I spent $1700 on this computer, spent countless days fixing it, reinstalled Windows thrice, and just can't seem to fix the issue of slowing down. I tried disabling the Quiet and Cool function of my cpu in the BIOS feature as well, but it still slows down and even still freezes on the very rare occasion. I'm really sad to see that I may have wasted my money.

If anyone has any other questions about my situation that were not mentioned here, please feel free to ask, I'm an open book regarding this issue. For those of you that stuck with it long enough to get here and read all that mumbo-jumbo I applaud and thank you sincerely. I am in dire need of help. I'll be checking this forum daily and likely on an hourly basis for the next couple of days before I head off on vacation for a while. I'm hoping to find some viable answers to this. Any suggestions AT ALL would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time,

Danny Chalfoun

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 04:30 AM

Hello Danny Chalfoun and :welcome:

Many readers and staffers will wish you had published your Speccy link:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/

Cheers :)

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#3 Danny Chalfoun

Danny Chalfoun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 06:26 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/RmuFrJRdI8b8cx6fG7o4NIV

How's that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users