Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't access Ubee settings after changing password

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BrianDecker

BrianDecker

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 26 May 2015 - 10:33 PM

Earlier tonight I decided to change the password to access my Ubee DVW3201 wireless modem/router settings. I do that every once and a while for security purposes.

I logged into my ubee settings through 192.168.0.1, went to the change password page, and put in my new password. As soon as I clicked the button to change the password, I got a pop-up asking for my user name and password. I thought it was asking for the old password in order to allow me to change to the new one, so I entered my old password. However, that gave me a "incorrect password" message, so I tried again with my new password and got the same message and was kicked off the settings page.

Now I am unable to access my Ubee settings. My old password doesn't work, my new password doesn't work, the default password doesn't work. I tried hitting the reset button on back of the router. I tried unplugging the router and removing the battery. I can't get into my router settings no matter what I do. 

I'm not sure what to do. I don't know why the password didn't change or why the old password doesn't work either. Does anyone have any advice? I know that not being able to access my router settings isn't a big deal since I still have internet access, but it makes me nervous that I can't get into it anymore. Part of me is worried that maybe a hacker changed my password on me at the same time that I hit the "change password" button, but I doubt (and hope) that that's not the case. I thought about calling Time Warner to see if they can reset the router on their end, but I think that Time Warner resetting the router would be the same as hitting the reset button (which didn't work) and therefore would be pointless.

Any ideas?

edit: Is it possible my new password was too long? My new password was 24 characters long, and i copy-and-pasted it from a random password generator. Does anyone know what the maximum number of characters an ubee password can be? maybe some the the characters in the new password where cut off?

edit 2: Nope. I just tried shortening the new password one character at a time from 24 to 16 (the length of my old password) and still couldn't get in.

Edited by BrianDecker, 26 May 2015 - 10:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 10:45 PM

Did you just push reset button and let it go? Try holding it down for 5 - 10 seconds or until the power led turns off then release it. That should reset it back to factory defaults.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 BrianDecker

BrianDecker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 11:14 PM

Did you just push reset button and let it go? Try holding it down for 5 - 10 seconds or until the power led turns off then release it. That should reset it back to factory defaults.

I held the button until the lights turned off but it didn't work. I was hoping that the reset button would reset the password to the default but it didn't.

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 26 May 2015 - 11:36 PM

Hold the reset button in

Power up the unit

Once all the lights quit blinking release the reset button.

Use the default password to access.

#5 BrianDecker

BrianDecker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 12:58 AM

Hold the reset button in

Power up the unit

Once all the lights quit blinking release the reset button.

Use the default password to access.

That did the trick, Thanks! I guess I wasn't holding the button down long enough after all. I thought I just had to hold it until the lights turned off then release it. I didn't think I had to keep it pushed until after they came back on and started blinking. I can access my ubee settings again now, so problem solved.

Thanks everyone.

#6 domen8er

domen8er

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 04:09 PM

Same exact thing happened to me with the same equipment on Time Warner. The tech support was great and she had me hold the pin in for 15 seconds.. in case you want a time factor.  

BUT The later or the next day, the phone (also on the modem) died. That requires a refresh from the phone side of T-W tech support. I honestly do not know if the two events are related.

Be safe!

Alan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users