Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

R9 290x 4gb GPU, and a DVI-D to VGA I might need to RMA one?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TZO2k15

TZO2k15

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 26 May 2015 - 08:18 PM

...I only have (1x)6pin +(1x) 6/2pin connectors for my Thermaltake TR2 RK 750w PSU, and My Sapphire R9 290x GPU says it recommends 2x 8pins, yet I've been using only the 6pin for my 2x6pin Sapphire HD 6950/70 for 5 yrs no problem...

The reason I ask is that I'm guessing I might have to RMA either my GPU or DVI-D to VGA, because I hooked both up in my Rig, yet the fans on my GPU was working, but my monitor didn't boot, so I'm thinking it was the DVI-D to VGA, as it was reputed to malfunction quite a bit per user review.

My Rig:

Win7 HP 64 SP1

AMD Phenom II x6 1055t

Kingston D-ch DDR3@653Mhz 14 gb

Gigabyte GA-890XA UD3 Sckt M2

Now I know I'm gonna need to upgrade mu CPU/MoBo, but I'm doing a piece-by-piece upgrade Thanks in advance if you can give some insight as to what needs to be done..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 27 May 2015 - 10:40 AM

Seems like you don't have enough 8 pin connectors to power the R9 290x. If it needs 2 8 pin power connectors you will need 2 8 pin power connectors. A 6 pin and a 6/2 pin (essentially an 8 pin) won't do the trick. It won't be able to power the entire card with 2 pins short.

Unless I miss read your post...

Ah I do see where you said you used just the 6 pin on your other card... weird... you should have had to use the 8 pin. If you 290x came with power adapters you can use those. It may have came with two 8 pin to molex adapters. If that is the case then just hook it up using those. You should be able to boot and get a screen then.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 TZO2k15

TZO2k15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 04:42 PM

Seems like you don't have enough 8 pin connectors to power the R9 290x. If it needs 2 8 pin power connectors you will need 2 8 pin power connectors. A 6 pin and a 6/2 pin (essentially an 8 pin) won't do the trick. It won't be able to power the entire card with 2 pins short.

Unless I miss read your post...

Ah I do see where you said you used just the 6 pin on your other card... weird... you should have had to use the 8 pin. If you 290x came with power adapters you can use those. It may have came with two 8 pin to molex adapters. If that is the case then just hook it up using those. You should be able to boot and get a screen then.

Thanks, I figured as much, just needed confirmation on that part. However, I haven't any chords as it's only an OEM, so I'll have to buy two more 8 pins, now does it have to be Thermaltake's own brand or can I get any?

Suggestions? Thanks again!

Never mind that bit, I found what I was looking for at Amazon!

Edited by TZO2k15, 27 May 2015 - 05:01 PM.

#4 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,416 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 05:43 PM

Haha, good ole Amazon. I literally buy everything on there. Also worked in their IT department at a warehouse for two months... horrible job, terrible pay. Wouldn't recommend it. Okay maybe not a terrible job.. but the pay bit is right.

#5 TZO2k15

TZO2k15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 06:40 PM

Haha, good ole Amazon. I literally buy everything on there. Also worked in their IT department at a warehouse for two months... horrible job, terrible pay. Wouldn't recommend it. Okay maybe not a terrible job.. but the pay bit is right.

Ye Gads how I miss Seattle...I once worked there as well, yet the polar opposite for me as I was on the other side of the spectrum in their shipping/warehouse dept...

It was grueling work as we had to work for 9 1/2 hours and it tore up your feet til you could hardly stand, all the while their supervisors would literally case up and down the isles yelling encouragement such as; "...Get back to work...Or, Work faster or you'll be fired!"...Yet in 1998 I was getting $9.5 per Hour which was damn good money as the dot com bust didn't happen yet, (When it did cost of living went up near 60% and unemployment by 7%) but I couldn't work there anymore no matter how much they paid!

But as far as blowing money there, Hell yeah, they are the best at what they do bar none!

Edited by TZO2k15, 27 May 2015 - 06:42 PM.

#6 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,416 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 07:20 PM

Ye Gads how I miss Seattle...I once worked there as well, yet the polar opposite for me as I was on the other side of the spectrum in their shipping/warehouse dept...

It was grueling work as we had to work for 9 1/2 hours and it tore up your feet til you could hardly stand, all the while their supervisors would literally case up and down the isles yelling encouragement such as; "...Get back to work...Or, Work faster or you'll be fired!"...Yet in 1998 I was getting $9.5 per Hour which was damn good money as the dot com bust didn't happen yet, (When it did cost of living went up near 60% and unemployment by 7%) but I couldn't work there anymore no matter how much they paid!

But as far as blowing money there, Hell yeah, they are the best at what they do bar none!

I had to do some of the regular warehouse jobs for the first week of training...(absolutely killed my back and I popped Advil like candy) was awful and totally gave me respect for people that could do it for 10 hours a day. I also worked 10 hours a day... but could at least catch a break now and again and sit in an office.

It is a great place to blow money that is for sure. lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users