Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Home WIFI driving me nuts...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pmarc

pmarc

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 26 May 2015 - 08:07 PM

2 XP machines flip online / offline randomly, and frequently, after working ok for a long time. Have changed nothing. And a notebook still gets online ok.

My Network: a remote modem, a closer router, and several Netgear extenders.
Tried re-setting the router - did not help for any of the machines.

Anyway, I'm guessing 1) the XP machines components are starting to fail and one XP machine has other problems, justifying the new one. Plus I now have a really good test in place, using the new machine.

What's the next step, thanx.

Edited by pmarc, 27 May 2015 - 08:43 AM.
moved from Web Browsing/Email and Other Internet Applications

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Msradell

Msradell

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 06:27 PM

I guess the next thing I would do would be to see if the problem is with the network connection of the XP machines or something else. The first thing I would do would be to hook them up running a wired connection (long Cat 5 cables are cheap on eBay) and see if you have a problem with that type of connection. If you don't the next thing I would do would be to try a USB Wi-Fi connector on one of the XP machines, this would eliminate the internal Wi-Fi components and software. Past that your best bet may be to buy a new computer to replace the XP machines.

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 06:33 PM

How are the XP machines connected?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#4 Msradell

Msradell

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 07:05 PM

How are the XP machines connected?

Since the title of the thread is "Wi-Fi is driving me nuts" I assume they were connected via Wi-Fi or the title would be something different.

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 08:47 PM

lol totally missed reading it. that's what I get for doing 3 things at once.

since I didn't see anything about removing the drivers and rebooting, I'd try that first. In device manager just right click the wireless card and uninstall, then reboot. It will refresh the driver install.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users