Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Software/Utility to run before I sell my Laptop

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Kikig04

Kikig04

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 26 May 2015 - 07:58 PM

Hi everyone- I have a Laptop with Win 7 Ultimate- Just wanted to see if anyone can suggest the best thing to do before I sell my computer- Unfortunately I don't have the Recovery Disc it came with, so I really don't want to complely wipe my HD... All I really have to save are family pictures.

Thank you for any suggestions,

Kiki G. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,070 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 26 May 2015 - 08:04 PM

If it is a fairly late meaning 5 years or newer it should have a recovery partition, if it does a few key strokes and it will be back to factory new.  Post make and model so we can see if it does.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,596 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 08:06 PM

Hi Kikig04 :)

What I suggest you to do is to download the .iso for Windows 7 Ultimate, and proceed to a clean reinstallation of the system. Which means, you'll wipe the current Windows installation and install a new one on the free partition. This is the best way to proceed if you ask me. Don't forget to have your product key in hand when proceeding (or grab it using ProduKey by NirSoft). If you have any questions, let me know :)

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 and 64-bit .iso: http://getintopc.com/softwares/operating-systems/windows-7-ultimate-free-download-iso-32-64-bit/
ProduKey: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

Phil, it's rare that posting the brand and model of a computer/laptop will let you know if there's a built-in Recovery partition or not. We don't know if the hard drive was wiped in the past, and if it was, the Recovery partition was most likely wiped with it. Even if the manufacturer website confirms that the computer came with a built-in Recovery partition, it's just assumption until we can confirm it. The best way is to go in the Disk Management Utility and inspect the partitions from there.

Edited by Aura., 26 May 2015 - 08:07 PM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,070 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 08:11 PM

But if it has one it is super simple!

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,596 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 08:13 PM

Yes it will, but we need to confirm that. Also, since Windows 7 Ultimate is installed on the laptop, it's possible that the hard drive was wiped and that Windows was installed after, since usually, laptops like these aren't sold with Windows 7 Ultimate except if you buy them for entreprise usage, and even there...

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 Kikig04

Kikig04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 08:44 PM

Wow, thank you for stepping up to the plate for me you two- I'm sorry, I was posting this from my laptop and the computer I'm selling is my desktop- Hope there's no difference... Great guess Aura, my HD was wiped once and Win7 Ult. was installed- The PC was custom built like 8yrs ago and the only thing I have done is upgrade the ram- So the only Product Key # on the case is for Windows XP Home- Oldphil, thanks for the suggestion- How do I go about seeing if it has a partition?  Thanks again you two!

Kiki G.   

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,070 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 08:46 PM

Follow the instructions in post #3

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,596 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 08:46 PM

You just said that the hard drive was wiped, so I doubt there's any Recovery partition left on it. You can follow the instructions below to provide me a screenshot of the Disk Management Utility and I can check for you.

mYEYEX7.pngDisk Management Utility
Follow the instructions below to open the Disk Management Utility:
  • For Windows 7, click on the Windows Start Menu, right-click on Computer and select Manage (requires Admin Rights). From there, click on Disk Management in the left pane;
  • For Windows 8, bring the cursor in the bottom left-corner of the screen and wait for the metro preview to open, then right-click on it and select Disk Management;
  • For Windows 8,1 bring the cursor on the Windows logo, right-click on it and select Disk Management;
  • Open the window to its full size, then take a screenshot of it and attach it to your next reply;
mq1pzD6.pngHow to take a screenshot using the Snipping Tool
Follow the instructions below to take a screenshot using Windows' Snipping Tool:
  • Press on the Win Key + R to open the Run box;
  • Enter SnippingTool and press on Enter;
  • The Snipping Tool will open, asking you to choose the area to take in the screenshot;
  • Left click on the area where you want to start the screenshot, keep it, and drag the cursor across the screen;
  • Once done, release the left button to take the screenshot;
  • In the editing window, click on the File menu then Save As;
  • Save the screenshot in a folder that you can access easily;
  • Attaching the screenshot in your reply
    • Go in your thread and click on the Reply to this topic button in the top-right corner;
      85hPFGu.png
    • Below the text box you'll have the option to Attach files. Click on the Choose Files... button, navigate to your screenshot and select it;
      LKVBzF7.png
    • Once done, add a comment to your reply and post it;

unite_blue.png

#9 Kikig04

Kikig04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 09:03 PM

I hope I got for you Aura?

KikiAttached File  Snip Shot.PNG   49.72KB   0 downloads

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,596 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 09:07 PM

It is thank you. Like I thought you dont have any Recovery partition, so doing a Factory Reset for you won't be possible. You can install Windows XP Home and use the product key on the case if you want, or reinstall Windows 7 Ultimate like I suggested and use its product key. Any ways, you'll have to do a clean installation since a refresh isn't possible.

unite_blue.png

#11 Kikig04

Kikig04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 09:11 PM

Well I really don't want to install XP, I've listed the unit as having Win7 Ult.- I'd much rather try to install what it has now- Is that a difficult process Aura?

Kiki

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,596 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 09:13 PM

Its not a difficult process at all. I can link you a tutorial on how to proceed if you wish. Can't really write one down since I'm on my phone. Do you have a USB Flash Drive or CD, DVD ready?

unite_blue.png

#13 Kikig04

Kikig04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 09:21 PM

Wow, can't believe your helping people from your phone, that's awesome!!! I appreciate that very much Aura :-)

I have a USB thats a SanDisk 32GB?

Edited by Kikig04, 26 May 2015 - 09:21 PM.

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,596 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 09:25 PM

It'll work, make sure you back up all the data you have on it elsewhere, since it'll be formatted to put the .iso on it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1649-clean-install-windows-7-a.html

What's important is to pick the Custom installation method and format the partition on which Windows is currently installed. You can also use YUMI to create the bootable USB, it works better.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/

If you need instructions for YUMI let me know but its pretty straightforward if you ask me. Select the USB, the .iso, the installer type is the one with Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 in it and you're good to go. Then simply boot from the USB to launch the indtallation process. To boot from the USB, its easier to access the boot menu of your motherboard (using the right key, usually a function one, for it) and selecting the USB there.

unite_blue.png

#15 Kikig04

Kikig04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 09:33 PM

Aura, is this a trial or a complete version? And is this Win7 Ult.?

Kiki

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users