Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Did you ever?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,779 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 26 May 2015 - 06:08 PM

I like most will more than likely end up with the free 10, but did you ever see so much doubt, controversy or the feeling of ill at ease about any previous OS?  I have been a user since 2.0 before many up here were born so I have seen quite a few roll by.  At this point I will wait until the 11th month to see how it goes, like several have said why all new rather then building on the strong points.  I have a hunch there will be quite a few that will do the wait and see.  Hopefully they will get it all sorted out by the final release, the suspense is killing me and many others.  

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 PhotoAce

PhotoAce

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 26 May 2015 - 06:24 PM

I'll stick with Windows 7 while the old computer holds out, and until they get to Win 10 SP1.

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 08:51 PM

I'll upgrade to Windows 10 right away. I don't care what people who complains says about the OS. This never really affected me and never will.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 orlbuckeye

orlbuckeye

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 08:33 AM

I'll stick with Windows 7 while the old computer holds out, and until they get to Win 10 SP1.

Well SP1 will never be released. Windows Technical Preview is being testing by more Beta testers then aver before.  MS plans to do updates and not upgrade version numbers or Service packs. 

• Alienware 18 Intel Core i7 4810 QM 16GB DDR3
  • 18.4" (1920 x1080) 
  • 1 TB Samsung EVO MSATA SSD 1 TB WD 5400 RPM HD 750 GB WD 5400 RPM HD
  • Nvidia GT 860 GM SLI graphics
  • Windows 10 Pro + Surface Book i5 256gb SSD 8gb RAM DGPU

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 09:58 AM

I've already upgraded to 10 full-time.

Yes it's risky, but I'll be familiar with it when it comes out - so I can provide help in the forums.

There are stories circulating about Win10 being the last Windows.
The point here is that some suspect that Windows will just be continuously updated.

As they've bumped the kernel version from 6.3 (in Win8.1) to 10 in Win10.

Gotta wonder what will happen when they move to version 11 in the kernel?

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 27 May 2015 - 10:21 AM

I'm running Windows 10 and I am VERY, VERY  happy with it.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,699 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 03:48 PM

As they've bumped the kernel version from 6.3 (in Win8.1) to 10 in Win10.

Gotta wonder what will happen when they move to version 11 in the kernel?

I wonder how this will affect drivers on older hardware. Some Hardware that worked on Windows 7 may not work on Windows 10. There were enough driver problems going from 7 to 8 and 8 to 8.1. I would make sure all my hardware was supported before I even attempted the upgrade or at least do a full disk image I could restore.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 04:11 PM

As far as I'm concerned, drivers from Windows Vista to Windows 8.1 were all compatible with each other. Only a few specific components required drivers for the exact Windows version they were installed on. Otherwise, I was installing Windows 8/8.1 drivers on Windows Vista and Windows 7, and the opposite as well.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#9 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 27 May 2015 - 04:45 PM

I am running a very old printer and a very old scanner and I Windows 10 connected to them immediately. I'm sure that there will be some obscure pieces of hardware that drivers might be an issue with.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 04:46 PM

I guess it really depends on the functions/features the device offers, and how it integrates itself with the Windows system.

unite_blue.png

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 06:44 AM

I recall the panic when Vista came out and many of the older printers wouldn't work on Vista.

Many people blamed Windows - and not the printer manufacturer's who decided not to provide Vista drivers for their printers.

IMO it was a ploy by the printer manufacturer's to boost sales - making everyone get a new printer if they wanted to run Windows Vista.

Also, right around that time printers started to become "throw-away" items - it was cheaper to buy a new one than it was to get the old one fixed.

There were also lot's of driver problems when upgrading to Win8.1 - although the problems weren't as obvious as they were in Vista

Microsoft spends a lot of time and money on ensuring backwards compatibility with each version of Windows.

Most stuff will run on Win10 - I've only encountered a few drivers that don't work on it.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 07:40 AM

@usasma

Well said my friend! But no matter how hard you try, you will have a hard time convincing the naysayers.

One good thing though, most of the naysayers are just relaying someone else's opinion previously expressed.

A truthful person, someone really interested in seeing a project through, will offer solutions to problems found rather than just a negative opinion.

Thank you for reading this... especially those who will take it to heart!

Rock On :guitar: My Friends!

#13 orlbuckeye

orlbuckeye

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 01:28 PM

I like most will more than likely end up with the free 10, but did you ever see so much doubt, controversy or the feeling of ill at ease about any previous OS?  I have been a user since 2.0 before many up here were born so I have seen quite a few roll by.  At this point I will wait until the 11th month to see how it goes, like several have said why all new rather then building on the strong points.  I have a hunch there will be quite a few that will do the wait and see.  Hopefully they will get it all sorted out by the final release, the suspense is killing me and many others.  

I will upgrade the first day as there are more testing this BETA then any other software in history. Plus there won't be any service packs. They will just do updates all the time and not wait and add them altogether as a Service pack.

• 18.4" (1920 x1080) 

#14 orlbuckeye

orlbuckeye

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 01:33 PM

I recall the panic when Vista came out and many of the older printers wouldn't work on Vista.

Many people blamed Windows - and not the printer manufacturer's who decided not to provide Vista drivers for their printers.

IMO it was a ploy by the printer manufacturer's to boost sales - making everyone get a new printer if they wanted to run Windows Vista.

Also, right around that time printers started to become "throw-away" items - it was cheaper to buy a new one than it was to get the old one fixed.

There were also lot's of driver problems when upgrading to Win8.1 - although the problems weren't as obvious as they were in Vista

Microsoft spends a lot of time and money on ensuring backwards compatibility with each version of Windows.

Most stuff will run on Win10 - I've only encountered a few drivers that don't work on it.

Well one issue is Vista was the first mainstream 64 bit Windows OS.  I didn't have any issues with drivers when I went to 8.1. Alot of OEM's don't support drivers for systems that have purchased with an old OS when a new OS comes out.  Most don't do a good job of updating drivers at all to older systems. They are better are BIO updates the drivers.

• 18.4" (1920 x1080) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users