Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Time appears to go backwards!!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Crowmans

Crowmans

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 26 May 2015 - 04:26 PM

I noticed that my computer clock was wrong a few days ago, so I did a internet time sync and everything appeared ok.  Next time I booted up, time was roughly the same time and date when i shut down. Did another time sync and thought nothing more of it. Today I powered up again and same again, though slightly earlier time to when shut down. I then synced it again and left it running for a while. I noticed that the time seemed to jump back a bit and now is over half an hour out (this is in less than an hour!) any thought people cos I have no idea.

Many Thanks

Edited by Queen-Evie, 26 May 2015 - 04:51 PM.
moved from General Chat to Internal Hardware

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 26 May 2015 - 04:53 PM

What you describe is usually caused by the CMOS battery. I suggest replacing the battery with a new one to see it that resolves your issue.

#3 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 26 May 2015 - 04:55 PM

Hi Crowmans!

I guess if you have had a great past half hour, it might be fun to repeat!!! 

What operating system are you running?

Are all of your security updates current?

At the time the clock changed, had you installed any new program(s)

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 05:18 PM

CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/81

Louis

#5 Crowmans

Crowmans
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 05:19 PM

Queen Evie - i considered it, but doesnt the CMOS Battery only effect it when t the computer is powered down.

Softeyes - runnning windows 7, everything is up to date. and no i havent to my knowlege installed anything new. by the way it is still 21:45, seems to revert back to that

#6 Crowmans

Crowmans
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 05:21 PM

Id be pissed if it was the battery, only got the motherboard 2 months ago, but i may change it just to try resolve it. have heard of hard resetting the battery (removing and pressing power button to discharge capacitors. not sure if that works. embarassing this really as I'm an engineer.... just only really know about gaming on comps lol

#7 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,604 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 05:45 PM

@Crowmans ~ I'd not be too happy either if my new board had a dying battery!  We scratch our heads and wonder how long the darn battery was sitting on the board!!

I've just come upon another set of options for HP and Compaq desktops running W7 (any chance your computer is an HP?  I think the first step is worth trying before opening up the case:

Step 1) If Internet time is set and you are connected to the Internet, the computer connects to an Internet time server and synchronizes the time to the time on the server. Internet time can provide an accurate method of keeping time and is normally recommended. However, in some cases, Internet time might actually cause problems. Use the following steps to disable or enable the Internet time setting depending on what is currently selected.

Read: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01853713

Step 2) In this case, I would not mess with the BIOS (yet?)

Step 3) Remove and reinstall Realtime clock by starting the system in Safe mode. Use the following steps to perform this task: again read: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01853713

Step 4) Desktop computers contain a battery to keep time in the same manner as a watch keeps time. Like a watch, the battery should be replaced when it runs low on power. Replace the battery using the following steps.

again read: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01853713

By now..you must be extremely exhausted as you've been repeating your time!  It's snooze time your way!

#8 Crowmans

Crowmans
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 05:57 PM

Thanks Softeyes, will give these a go tomorrow.. or when work allows me spare time. Well my computer isnt any make really. It started out as a dell pre built from PC world. but I decided to upgrade the computer so I can run the game I play on better graphics and speed. 

I changed the case, cooling system, psu, cpu, RAM, Motherboard, and graphics card (so basically a new computer) only thing i didn't change was the hard drive. I would add unsuccessfully as I didn't know these items would require a full reinstall of windows. I found this out after I spat my dummy out and took it to a computer store.  Has run absolutely fine for a few months.  

I have run a virus scan with nothing flagged up.

thanks for the advice, its all appreciated as I am a complete computer biff.

And your right really should head to bed, lol.

Thanks

Matt

#9 Dualcomm

Dualcomm

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 26 May 2015 - 06:06 PM

Either it's the CMOS battery, and or something happenend to the BIOS. That handles plenty of things, inculding Date & Time.

#10 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,604 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 06:08 PM

LOL ~ no doubt after your wink-eye..you'll sort out the problem!  As @Queen-Evie and @Hamluis shared..a simple battery replacement might be your go to answer!  Sometimes I like to try other options "just in case"...and the quid you put out might spoil getting a pint!

Can't wait to see how "the-time-of-Matt's life" turns out!  Tara!

#11 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 26 May 2015 - 08:03 PM

There is nothing wrong with trying other options. Sometimes they do pay off.

I will say that, for lack of better word, one of the  cheapest things you buy for your computer is the battery.

#12 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,604 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 11:23 PM

Queen=Evie  :lmao: Love it!

Edited by hamluis, 27 May 2015 - 08:50 AM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

#13 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 387 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 11:25 AM

I'll take a guess that you have an Asus motherboard, Google "Asus motherboard rtc issues" without the quotes of course.

Your symptom sounds like what they are experiencing, check it out. 

Seems to be an issue with the bios, when you are looking at the bios is the clock ticking? Some say removing the battery then reinstalling fixes it, but some say the problem happens again eventually.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users