Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remote Access Software

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 sean999

sean999

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 26 May 2015 - 03:59 PM

Hello, 

I am looking for software (hopefully free) that will allow me to remotely access and use my mother's computer. She calls every day for tech support and it is driving me insane.

Is there software that will allow me to access her computer from my computer? We both have windows-based laptops, although different versions of windows if that matters?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 26 May 2015 - 11:20 PM

Maybe still available, but QuickScreenShare, same company or group which provides Screencast-o-matic.  There ARE other types or kinds but you'll have to try an internet search, unless other people post more software choices.

Look through the information listings here:

http://alternativeto.net/software/quick-screen-share/

Edited by cafejose, 26 May 2015 - 11:29 PM.

#3 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 26 May 2015 - 11:51 PM

QuickScreenShare is no longer available.  

#4 O.T.T.

O.T.T.

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 27 May 2015 - 05:55 PM

TeamViewer would be my first option, easy and safe !

OTT

Please ask Google why some of my links don't work anymore !

#5 som3body

som3body

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 04 June 2015 - 01:18 AM

Hi.

I was looking for the same a few days ago, and I have  found two others you should consider:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/chrome-remote-desktop/gbchcmhmhahfdphkhkmpfmihenigjmpp?hl=en

http://www.ammyy.com/en/index.html

#6 JacksonBeep

JacksonBeep

• Banned Spammer
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 04 June 2015 - 02:47 AM

TeamViewer is good. You can download it on your computer. And ask your mom to download it on her computer. Then ask her to open it and tell you the ID and Password. You enter them into the app on your computer. Then you can control her computer from yours.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 04 June 2015 - 09:26 AM

For Teamviewer, you can also create an account and add devices to that account. This way, you have a list of devices you can access simply by clicking on them, without entering an ID or password. This is what I did with my grand-mother computer (I added her to my Teamviewer account) and when she calls, I simply open Teamviewer, click on her computer name and I'm connected.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 Bailifei

Bailifei

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 12:33 AM

So this teamviewer, is it free? I bet it can not be used to provide tech service?

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,197 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 05:22 AM

Teamviewer have a free version for personal use, yes. If you start providing technical support a lot with it, it'll start notifying you that they suspect commercial usage and eventually limit you from using it, asking you to buy a licence.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#10 achek

achek

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2015 - 11:22 AM

Hello there. To the tiopic. I`m using both of the software: TV(TeamViwer)- for personal use and ammyy admin. Ammyy is a free and not bad one. But prefer TV :P, although they limit your freee connections, pushing out your session and asking you to buy a licence as AURA said.

Here is a link to download ammyy:

#11 sean999

sean999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 03:44 PM

For Teamviewer, you can also create an account and add devices to that account. This way, you have a list of devices you can access simply by clicking on them, without entering an ID or password. This is what I did with my grand-mother computer (I added her to my Teamviewer account) and when she calls, I simply open Teamviewer, click on her computer name and I'm connected.

If I do this, does my mother need to first open/run TeamViewer on her computer? Or can I just connect to her even if TV is not open on her pc?

Thanks to you, and thanks to all who answered my original question.

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,197 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 04:11 PM

As long as Teamviewer is open (it starts automatically with Windows) and the Teamviewer is logged in (you can enable that too), then everytime she opens her computer, Teamviewer will run and you'll see her in your list of devices.

unite_blue.png

#13 sean999

sean999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 04:35 PM

As long as Teamviewer is open (it starts automatically with Windows) and the Teamviewer is logged in (you can enable that too), then everytime she opens her computer, Teamviewer will run and you'll see her in your list of devices.

From a security perspective, it is wise to enable this? Seems like she'd just be sitting with an open connection that could be easily hacked?

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,197 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 04:50 PM

The "hacker" would have to use a known exploit in Teamviewer (I never heard of any) and/or known your mom's ID and password (good luck guessing that) so it's quite safe.

unite_blue.png

#15 TechyToolkit

TechyToolkit

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2015 - 04:37 AM

Oh wow! Aura your here! Whooop! Digital at your service.

And to the OP.....

TeamViewer is free for personal use and is the best

or use windows remote desktop connection

or a cheaper alternative such as gotoassist ( which also support mobile os´ and OSX)

and personally IMO the best is logmeinrescue.

But as your doing it for free i would say just use the free teamviewer

I personally think ammyy is slow but its free so...

Edited by TechyToolkit, 17 June 2015 - 05:00 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users