Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hi, I'm new and I have never posted

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 larami7

larami7

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 26 May 2015 - 03:41 PM

I want to know what is the best free antivirus for notebook that consumes few resources. Thanks !!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 26 May 2015 - 03:54 PM

:welcome: to Bleeping Computer.

You ask a common question for which you will receive varying opinions and recommendations. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no single best anti-virus. Every vendor's virus lab and program scanning engine is different. Each has has its own strengths and weaknesses and they often use a mix of technologies to detect and remove malware. In many cases choosing an anti-virus is a matter of personal preference and what works best on a particular system. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your needs. Please read:Here are links to some recent BC discussion topics with opinions from other members:Here are links to polls about this very subject:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 larami7

larami7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 04:37 PM

:welcome: to Bleeping Computer.

You ask a common question for which you will receive varying opinions and recommendations. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no single best anti-virus. Every vendor's virus lab and program scanning engine is different. Each has has its own strengths and weaknesses and they often use a mix of technologies to detect and remove malware. In many cases choosing an anti-virus is a matter of personal preference and what works best on a particular system. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your needs. Please read:

Here are links to some recent BC discussion topics with opinions from other members: Here are links to polls about this very subject:

Can you recommend a free antivirus forever? Thank you!

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,537 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 04:51 PM

Well if you want recommendations (opinions from other members), do you mind giving us a few more information? Like what are your computer specs, what do you do on your computer mostly, etc. so we can try to identify your needs and find a fitting solution for them?

Edited by Aura., 26 May 2015 - 04:51 PM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 larami7

larami7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 04:54 PM

Well if you want recommendations (opinions from other members), do you mind giving us a few more information? Like what are your computer specs, what do you do on your computer mostly, etc. so we can try to identify your needs and find a fitting solution for them?

It is an exo notebook brand, with few system resources.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,108 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 04:55 PM

And tell us what you mean be forever.

That sounds like you want to install one anti-virus solution and leave it installed for the life of the machine regardless of changes in the quality/performance of the product.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,108 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 04:57 PM

What operating system? Windows 7, 8, Vista, XP?

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,537 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 04:57 PM

quietman, is it good to ask for a Speccy snapshot from the user here so we can have an idea of what kind of specs he's working with it?

Edited by Aura., 26 May 2015 - 04:58 PM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#9 larami7

larami7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 04:58 PM

And tell us what you mean be forever.

That sounds like you want to install one anti-virus solution and leave it installed for the life of the machine regardless of changes in the quality/performance of the product.

What I meant is that I want a free antivus, but only 30 days, as in the free trail

#10 larami7

larami7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 05:01 PM

What operating system? Windows 7, 8, Vista, XP?

Windows 7 ultimate

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,108 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 05:02 PM

larami7 can post requested information. We don't want to turn this forum into something it was not intended for (Speccy, MiniToolbox, etc) by just addressing what type of anti-virus we recommend.

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,537 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 05:03 PM

larami, are you able to tell us at least how much RAM you have and what CPU you have as well? These information can be found by going in the Start Menu, right-clicking on Computer and selecting Properties. They'll be displayed in the System window.

unite_blue.png

#13 larami7

larami7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 05:04 PM

larami7 can post requested information. We don't want to turn this forum into something it was not intended for (Speccy, MiniToolbox, etc) by just addressing what type of anti-virus we recommend.

Sorry...

#14 larami7

larami7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 05:06 PM

larami, are you able to tell us at least how much RAM you have and what CPU you have as well? These information can be found by going in the Start Menu, right-clicking on Computer and selecting Properties. They'll be displayed in the System window.

2 Gigas de Ram

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,537 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 05:50 PM

So you don't have a lot to work with unfortunately. I would go with either avast! or Avira free. Both of them have a full free version of their Antivirus program (with less features than the paid versions, obviously). Also, they are less light-weight than the others (except if you decide to go with Panda Free, which is the lighest since it's Cloud-based, but a big consequence is that if you are going offline, you'll loose real-time protection) that offers a free version.

That would be my recommendations. I would also keep the Windows Firewall. In Windows 7, it's still a really good firewall.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users