Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is remote procedure call?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 puravida999

puravida999

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 26 May 2015 - 02:14 PM

Hi everyone, today I checked processes in my 2 computers (windows 8.1) and I noticed this process " svchost.exe Service Host: Remote Procedure Call"

what is it? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 26 May 2015 - 02:15 PM

Hi again puravida :)

In computer science, a remote procedure call (RPC) is an inter-process communication that allows a computer program to cause a subroutine or procedure to execute in another address space (commonly on another computer on a shared network) without the programmer explicitly coding the details for this remote interaction.[1] That is, the programmer writes essentially the same code whether the subroutine is local to the executing program, or remote. When the software in question uses object-oriented principles, RPC is called remote invocation or remote method invocation (RMI).

Many different (often incompatible) technologies have been used to implement the concept.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_procedure_call

Microsoft Remote Procedure Call (RPC) defines a powerful technology for creating distributed client/server programs. The RPC run-time stubs and libraries manage most of the processes relating to network protocols and communication. This enables you to focus on the details of the application rather than the details of the network.

Source: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa378651%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Edited by Aura., 26 May 2015 - 02:17 PM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 puravida999

puravida999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 02:22 PM

Hi again puravida :)

In computer science, a remote procedure call (RPC) is an inter-process communication that allows a computer program to cause a subroutine or procedure to execute in another address space (commonly on another computer on a shared network) without the programmer explicitly coding the details for this remote interaction.[1] That is, the programmer writes essentially the same code whether the subroutine is local to the executing program, or remote. When the software in question uses object-oriented principles, RPC is called remote invocation or remote method invocation (RMI).

Many different (often incompatible) technologies have been used to implement the concept.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_procedure_call

Microsoft Remote Procedure Call (RPC) defines a powerful technology for creating distributed client/server programs. The RPC run-time stubs and libraries manage most of the processes relating to network protocols and communication. This enables you to focus on the details of the application rather than the details of the network.

Source: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa378651%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

but I don't understand, is it good or bad?  when it says "remote" I think is something bad  :nono:

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 02:27 PM

It's a good. It's actually a critical process in Windows, as you can see in this thread that was posted today:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/577401/remote-call-procedure-call/

So I suggest you to leave it enabled and not touch it.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 puravida999

puravida999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 02:34 PM

I see, I thought someone was monitoring my computer from another location  :whistle:

the exact name when searchign in google is "svchost.exe Service Host: Remote Procedure Call" , is the same thing you explained right?

Edited by puravida999, 26 May 2015 - 02:35 PM.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 04:18 PM

Yes, it's the same thing I just quoted in my first post (since these weren't my word, merely copy/paste from other sources which I linked). I also have the same service running on my Windows 8.1 machine right now, and so did my Windows 7 laptop at work.

unite_blue.png

#7 puravida999

puravida999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 05:01 PM

Cool, problem solved  :busy:

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 05:01 PM

Glad to hear that :)

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users