Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive D disappeared, laptop only shows C

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TrishaK

TrishaK

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 26 May 2015 - 01:04 PM

Hello all - Once again I'm reaching out for any help you all might have. I'm not a techie, so please bear with me if I use wrong terms for things. I'll do the best I can. :-D

Admins, please feel free to move this thread if it's in the wrong place.

I have a Samsung laptop that's a little on the older side, with Windows 7. It has two disk drives, C and D. I've seen both of them in the Disk Management screen before, and once I even figured out how to reallocate space on them. But today, after I downloaded a couple of movies, I got an error message that says I don't have enough space on drive C. OK, I said to myself...I'll go in and see if anything can be moved to the D drive. Well, there is no D drive anymore. When I click on "Computer" in the start menu, it only shows C (and the DVD drives, but I'm not worried about those. Half the time I forget the laptop even has a DVD drive, lol.). D used to be right next to C, and now there's nothing there.

Attached File  Computer.JPG   71.94KB   0 downloads

I Googled a little and learned how to go into Disk Management. I see that there is the C drive, and several other boxes that don't appear to have drive letters assigned to them. I'm guessing that's where everything is that was on D.

Attached File  DiskManagement.JPG   113.7KB   0 downloads

The article I was reading said to reformat the unnamed space and rename it. But that sounds like I'll be erasing it, like when you reformat an SD card. There was a lot of stuff stored on D that I can't lose.

Can someone tell me how to recover D without losing anything? An explanation of what happened and how I can avoid doing it again would also be helpful, if it's possible to determine that.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Edited by TrishaK, 26 May 2015 - 01:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,958 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 01:20 PM

Did this laptop have two physical hard drives or was there two partitions C: and D: on one hard drive. If two physical hard drives enter your BIOS and see if BIOS detects both drives. If not then the drive may have failed. You could remove it and attach it to another computer using an external enclosure or USB adapter.

In your second image is there a disk listed under CD-ROM1?

#3 TrishaK

TrishaK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 03:08 PM

Hi JohnC! Thanks for the reply.

There is nothing under either of the CD-ROM drives.

I believe that C and D were partitions, not separate drives, because I recall that I was able to change the partition size between them to make more room on one or the other.

If the hard drive has failed, will I be able to fix it? I'm using this laptop right now and everything else is running perfectly: Internet, Control Panel, printing, etc. But the machine is a little outdated, and until we can replace it it's all we have. Is there a chance I could lose anything that's on the drive?

Thanks again, I truly appreciate your help!

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,324 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 26 May 2015 - 03:31 PM

When was the last time you accessed the D: drive?  Before you reallocated the space?

From the image you have one 300GB (or so, probably 320GB) hard drive installed with four partitions.  You can assigned the 29GB partition a drive letter and use that, but that isn't really much space.

If you need a lot of space you're better off getting a newer drive.  Otherwise you could kill the recovery partitions and make a 120GB D: drive.  Deleting the recovery partitions would prevent you from restoring the machine to its out of the box state.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,507 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 26 May 2015 - 03:36 PM

JohnC, maybe OP can use disk mgt to reassign drive letter to that D partition?  I'm hoping D will reappear and give OP the chance to make backups mighty quick.

Addendum:  JohnC's later post pointed out that I missed an important step!

** OP has to use something to allocate, create a partition involving all of the unallocated space on HD. **

Then, as JohnC's later post advises...after allocating/creating partition, then assign drive letter.

Thanks JohnC for catching my earlier error!

Edited by RolandJS, 26 May 2015 - 09:01 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,958 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 04:09 PM

RolandUS has a good idea. Try assigning the unallocated space if that was your D: drive and see if you can access it. Edit: I just remembered. You cannot assign a letter to unallocated space.

If that does not work then download Partition Wizard and try to recover the partition. Select Unallocated Space under the Scanning Range Window. If it finds a partition double click it and see if you can explore and it and see your files. If you can then exit out of the program.  If you can see your files then select Finish.

If you have an external drive, which I doubt as you wanted to reallocate the partitions, you could use Partition Find and Mount. This may find the partition allowing you to mount it as a virtual drive and then copy to a USB external drive.

Kilroy's question is the most important. When was the last time you accessed D: If it was before the partition movement then the above will not work and you would have to use a program like Testdisk to hopefully find the partition. You would need an external USB drive to copy the files if it does find your lost partition.

Edited by JohnC_21, 26 May 2015 - 04:12 PM.

#7 TrishaK

TrishaK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 04:40 PM

Hi all - Thanks for the replies!

Kilroy - I have accessed the D drive since the reallocation. That was last year, and I know I've seen it since then, many times.

JohnC & RolandUS - I do have a 3TB external hard drive we got for extra storage. It doesn't happen to be plugged in right now, but that's an easy enough fix. :-) I am downloading the two programs you linked right now. I'll report back as soon as I can run them.

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users