Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backup And Re-Install

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 26 May 2015 - 12:00 PM

i need to backup and re-install windows 8, i dont have the install disc that came with the computer,

with other computers and other operating systems in the past i have downloaded a windows install ISO file, and installed windows with that using the same product key on the computer,

this computer has a windows 8 sticker but no product key? so how do i activate it after i install?

i dont have alot of experience with windows 8, so these are probably dumb questions sorry,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2015 - 10:03 AM

If the system has a recovery partition:

Go to the start screen and type "recoverydrive" (one word, no quotes)

It'll prompt you for a USB drive of a certain sized (most likely 16 or 32 gB)

and you can make it from there.

Can't recall if it'll let you make DVD's in 8 - in 8.1 it has to be a USB drive

Some systems will let you recovery from the Recovery partition.  Please let us know the make and model of the system in order to provide a more detailed reply.

Or, you can contact the system manufacturer and ask for a set of recovery disks:  http://www.carrona.org/recdisc.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,026 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 27 May 2015 - 02:24 PM

this computer has a windows 8 sticker but no product key? so how do i activate it after i install?

The Product key in Windows 8/8.1 is embedded in the BIOS.  You can retrieve your product code several different ways.  One way is to use a NifSoft program called DownloadProductkey.  This is a zipfile, so you will have to extract it to use it.

If you are going to be using the System Recovery partition to set the operating system back to the condition it came out of the box you will not need the product key.  If John's suggestion to use recoverydrive doesn't work, we would need to know the make and model of this computer to provide you with instructions.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 06:32 AM

BTW - if the recoverydriver thing only prompts for a 512 mB drive - that means that you don't have a recovery partition.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users